how to wire-in front LEDS - help sought please...

FrankQC & Wordsmith - PM sent with aux light wiring details that Karl used. 

Thanks kimmie. Unfortunately it is the exact same way I wired mine up so all my previous posts in this thread are still relevant. It worked fine a while then my ECU failed (yellow output wire). That yellow wire connected to pin 86 of your relay is coming straight from the ECU and as stated before, it is only a logic meant to control the headlight module, not strong enough and/or protected to drive a relay coil (from my sad experience...) 
Anyway to each his own and I'm glad to see yours works fine for now. I only wanted to chime in to share what happened to me when I did the same.

Cheers !

• 1 year later...
Hi, I bought a FJ09 this year and really love it. I am new to the forum and really liked this thread as I am not an electrician. I am planning to connect 2x 10W LED on 1 of the factory light connectors under the windshield. I want to also add a switch. Can someone confirm that I only need to insert it on the positive line between the lights and the connector?

The light amp will be under 2AMP so I am not planning to directly plug into the factory connectors and use the light with the engine running

Thanks in advance!

You can interrupt the ground circuit as well. It just depends on how you wire it.

Some switches will wear out faster connecting power vs connecting ground, depending on how well they are made.

Small LEDs usually have very small power requirements.

-Skip

Worked like a charm. Only surprise is that the lights come on with ignition an not engine despite connecting into the light connectors.

Pretty happy for a set of $25 lights. Thank you all for the tips and info!!

IMG-7833.jpg

IMG-7834.jpg

IMG-7835.jpg

IMG-7836.jpg

Could someone point out what I'm missing here ? There seems to be some very complex answers here for something I found quite easy ? I had two led spots 10w. I've wired them into one of the spare grey aux connectors behind dash which Is already fused at 2amps. I used a simple male plug from ebay for this. They've been working fine, so why the complicated wiring from other posters ? Is my way going to cause problems ?
IMG-3914.jpg

IMG-3915.png

Thanks piotrek, same here, 2x10w Cree. I use them really just to create more of a presence.  Seemed simple and obvious to me using connectors already there. Why the heck did others make it seem like wiring up a space station, considering the guy asking had little electrical experience ? Thought I might have missed something obvious, thanks for confirming, and good riding.

Thanks piotrek, same here, 2x10w Cree. I use them really just to create more of a presence.  Seemed simple and obvious to me using connectors already there. Why the heck did others make it seem like wiring up a space station, considering the guy asking had little electrical experience ? Thought I might have missed something obvious, thanks for confirming, and good riding.

You utilized the factory switch when you installed your lights. I believe the OP wanted to install a separate switch, which meant it was a bit more challenging instead of being a plug-n-play like you performed.

Personally I think everyone should do it the way that you did. But not everyone does. No rhyme or reason for it except some installations also pull more than 2 amps which is all the circuit is capable of handling.

If the aftermarket lights require a relay, that also makes it a bit more complicated.

What is easy for one person can be difficult for another. I find electrical easy, and a fun challenge when it’s not... but I’m in the minority I suspect.

-Skip

• Supporting Member
Could someone point out what I'm missing here ? There seems to be some very complex answers here for something I found quite easy ? I had two led spots 10w. I've wired them into one of the spare grey aux connectors behind dash which Is already fused at 2amps. I used a simple male plug from ebay for this. They've been working fine, so why the complicated wiring from other posters ? Is my way going to cause problems ? IMG-3914.jpg

IMG-3915.png

One of my Winter projects is to wire in some daytime running lights https://fj-09.org/thread/7491/denali-daytime-running-lights-opinions  and plan on connecting them exactly as you did.

I dont plan on using an inline switch, always on with the key.  I just did the same install with my GPS on one of the spare connectors, works like a charm.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had connected an inline switch but wasn't sure how to explain it. I'll try but hope it doesn't confuse.  I ran a twin cable from grey dash connector. I drilled a 20mm hole in the side of plastic dash cowling and put in a circular rocker switch with tiny red neon. This had 3 terminals. (Join both neutrals/ground to one terminal) I ran a twin cable from this and soldered another cable to it, giving me two pairs. I connected a waterproof connector (female connector on the power side)  to each pair which then went to left and right spot/led. You don't have to put in waterproof connectors, but it will make it easier to take off an led if you have to.(Sounds complicated the way I describe it, but wasn't in practice. I'll see if I can draw out and post a pic. Now belo. 

IMG-3918.jpg

One of my Winter projects is to wire in some daytime running lights https://fj-09.org/thread/7491/denali-daytime-running-lights-opinions  and plan on connecting them exactly as you did.

I dont plan on using an inline switch, always on with the key.  I just did the same install with my GPS on one of the spare connectors, works like a charm.

I used inline switch, but, leave it permanently switched on, so little red light on switch is lit up. Then when I turn ignition on, the leds will just come on, like your sat nav. I only have these leds (pic below) so I'm seen by others, and they do that job really well, for very little money. Denali will prob be better if you want them to light up the road, but headlights do a pretty good job anyway.  

IMG-3919.png

Yo, Yam - I've installed several pairs of the identical LEDs on various BMWs and Tracers, purely as conspicuity lights.   Cheap, but look good and I've never had a problem with them.

Just in case a new bike comes along, can you please give me a link to the supplier/ source for future reference.   Thanks.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Hi Wordsmith. Source is EBay, but I'm in uk so a link won't be any use. Just type in 10w Cree led 12v (as in previous pic) and it will give you some choices. As always, you'll get exactly the same item at various prices. I took a chance as they were so cheap,(Chinese) but, they have been brilliant 8-)  for my needs. Good luck with the Rugby next week ! 

You utilized the factory switch when you installed your lights. I believe the OP wanted to install a separate switch, which meant it was a bit more challenging instead of being a plug-n-play like you performed.  

-Skip
Original poster said he didn't want to bother with a switch, just an easy way to do it...