Buying an FJ 2017

Good Morning,

So pretty sure 99% that I'm getting a 2017 FJ 09. Going to use it as a daily rider to and from work. What accessories would you get installed if you could anything? Best cases/bags both side and top? Thank you really looking forward to getting one.

Congratulations!

As far as bags go, while the factory bags might not be the best, they are pretty good and the main reason I went with them is when they are off the bike, there is no extra hardware left on the bike leaving a clean appearance. They also pop on and off so quickly, though I am sure other cases do as well.
I love the sw motech tank bag. Pretty much everyone here it seems does who have it.
Can't comment on a top box other than I'd make sure it fits my helmet.

How far is your commute? Do you have a dress code to adhere to?
Will you be riding rain or shine?

The stock windshield sucks. Funnily enough it's one of the last things for me to have yet not changed.

Congrats, I use my FJ for much the same purpose you do / will.

In order of commuting importance:
1. Windshield, I opted for the CalSci Tinted shorty. I'm only 25 and like the sporty-ness. Great aerodynamics.
2. Luggage, I went with Shad SH48 because its huge. As an engineer I'm happy with their bracket design. I have no experience with other brands, and I don't have side cases.
3. Vibration damping, FZ6 rubber footpegs and/or foam grips. The vibration doesn't bother me, you'll have to see for youself.
4. Seat, Personally I adapted to the seat after a week or so of solid commuting. If I had the coin I'd definitely get one.
5. ECU Flash, my 2015 has the twitchy throttle which makes around town-ing annoying.
6. Exhaust, I like my full Ti Akro. Not sure I'd buy it again though. Sounds great, didn't reduce the weight that much.
7. Levers, the stock levers fit my hands nicely. You may not be as lucky.
8. Bling, Tenere turn signals, fender eliminator, etc etc. Whatever you think will make your bike YOURS.

Happy riding!

'15 FJ09

Good Morning, 
So pretty sure 99% that I'm getting a 2017 FJ 09. Going to use it as a daily rider to and from work. What accessories would you get installed if you could anything? Best cases/bags both side and top? Thank you really looking forward to getting one.
welcome.

All the accessories I chose are obviously the best, but unfortunately, if you choose them, you will be copying me. Soo...
On a serious note, mirror extenders were the cheapest/best mod I did. I've been through a few windshields, but from what I'm finding, every rider is different with windshields. The guys above mentioned some luggage they are happy with. I went with Yamaha luggage. The standard side mounts and top box mount work with my luggage, but none of my luggage is listed for my bike. I bought some FJR side bags off eBay and I bought a Yamaha 50L top box from Canada. This gives me a ton of space to work with. Each side case fits a full size helmet and the top case fits 2 full size helmets for a total scientific carrying capacity of 4 full size helmets. Everything pops of quickly with convenient carrying handles. It's overkill, yes, but I like it and that's all that matters.

• Premium Member
Seat and Windshield would be my 2 priority upgrades
Agree with duhs10, I chose the Corbin seat and the Madstad shield, I'm happy with both. Others swear by different brands, so take a look around, and see what folks have been saying.

Good Morning,
Well my commute is about 20 miles one way but I take a different way in (interstate) and coming home (country roads).  I do ride rain or shine and I don't have a dress code to adhere too, way good questions though.  Thank you for all the hints headed out today to pick up the bike no mods yet still waiting on my final list and order.
Paul

• Supporting Member
@paulrohling - Congratulations on the new bike!  I hope it's everything you're expecting it to be.

I would suggest you spend some seat time on it to figure out what works - and more importantly doesn't work - for you before you dive too far into upgrades.  I'm a pretty big guy (6'1", 225+ pounds) so figured that the mirror extenders would be a necessity based on what I had read on the forum...  surprise, it turns out the stock mirrors are fine for me.   I'm good with the stock seat, but not the windshield.  There is a lot you can adjust on this bike (seat height, handlebar location, windscreen height) to get it to fit you specifically.    

Enjoy! 

As others have said, you'll know instantly (or almost so) if you need mirror extenders or not. For me, based on the dollars expended ($35 or so), they were the best money I've spent on the bike. Secondly came the seat which I found very uncomfortable. Not wanting to spend $350+ on something custom that I may not like, I took the seat to a good local upholstery shop and told them to add extra foam. For $55 I now have a very comfortable seat! (Motorcycle seats are not rocket science, contrary to what some will tell you.) Oops...I almost forgot the suspension. Unless you're an expert, take it to a good local mechanic and have him dial it in for you, with you riding the bike between adjustments to see what really works. I found the bike as it came almost unbearable on anything but smooth surface, now it feels fine thanks to the adjustments made for my weight and preferences. I found the stock windscreen just fine in the low position (I'm 6'3") but it became very turbulent when I raised it, so I keep it low. Never felt the need for a different one. But everybody is different. Enjoy!

Windscreen Look at the V Stream they make 3 different models
Bags/Cases I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha ones especially for how great they look on the bike and when they are off everything looks clean.
Top Case once again Yamaha

• Premium Member
Bags/Cases I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha ones especially for how great they look on the bike and when they are off everything looks clean. Top Case once again Yamaha

I went with the standard Yamaha side cases for the very same reason. I also like that they are smaller so that it forces you to trim down what you are carrying to just exactly what you need. 
However. I HATE hard top cases...  If I do get one it will be along the lines of the Pelican 1500 series and easily removable. YMMV 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived