Greetings from Miami

tbird

I'm buying out @javashot1 this Friday from his 15' black - excited to take over a great bike.

Planning a long weekend trek back from Nashville to Miami via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Any advice on the route, or stops to make?

If you're around Florida / Florida Keys / Everglades, drop me a line and I may join up!

Travis
Miami, FL

• Premium Member
Go over to Maggie Valley NC and stop at," Wheels through time" great motorcycle museum. It's right near the blue ridge parkway. West of there is the tail of the dragon. Just map it. Congratulations. On the FJ09.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Welcome from Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm at Alabama Jack's, Gilbert's, Joanie's Blue Crab, Dade Corners and Café 27 on a pretty regular basis.

As for the trip back....

Avoid Atlanta like it's full of Zombies. (Oh wait, it is) Make sure you have plenty of time. It's a long haul from Nashville (My eldest son lives in Mount Juliet TN so I'm up there quite a bit) It's summer in the Southeast. Heat/dehydration is a problem along with the nasty afternoon thunderstorms, so you may have trouble putting in the miles you want.

I just rode to and back from Mt Juliet this spring (with a trip up the Natchez Trace) (a stop in Memphis) and came back through Birmingham with a stop at Barber Motorsports museum. A must see. If you are ever in that AO.

While it's not a direct route, You may want to think about the Natch Trace as a route home, 444 miles of uninterrupted asphalt, no stoplights or signs. It's not a challenging road, but it sure is beautiful. It Starts/ends right there in SW Nashville and rolls to Natchez Mississippi. If you find you need to make up time drop onto I-10 zip over to I-75 and down to home.

South Florida (Flatistan) oh how I loathe thee.

There are 3 choices for road travel into and out of SOFLA, they all suck. So good luck with that! :P

Take pictures and start a RR so we can follow along. :)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 weeks later...
Update...

Made the trip from Nashville to Miami in about 20 hours / 2.5 days (Nashville > Tail of the Dragon > Asheville > Columbia > JAX Beach > Miami).

BEST
-Staying at Simple Life Campground in Robbinsville, NC pre Blue Ridge Parkway in the "Rooster Nest"
-GoPro footage from helmet on the Tail of the Dragon at dusk.

WORST
-Not super impressed with comfort seat... needed to reset every 1.5 hours or so. Either that or fatten up.
-Didn't realize I could adjust the windshield up 3 inches until after the ride... lots of ear ringing from the wind.

Screen_Shot_2017-07-30_at_19.52.16.png

• Supporting Member
There is no better way to get acquainted with a new bike than a road trip first thing!
As for that ringing in your ears... Earplugs, ALWAYS!

Congrats on the new bike. LOTS of info on here about "must-do" mods, seat and wind screen are always at or near the top of the list, along with ECU flash to smooth the fueling.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

No windscreen at all is my favorite for this bike.  Great air - great sounds.

When I put on the shorty windscreen - it creates huge wind rush on the helmet.  Rather go without.  Then I use my big Madstad for the cooler months.

Hmmm, only seeing a max of 22" from Madstad for FJ? I bought the bike with a taller mod (not sure which one), but still about 3 inches short for me.

Yes, also had the ECU refreshed. Feeling good there, although a bit sensitive from stop to 1st.

Yes, these silicon earplugs from CVS fixed the noise problem mid trip. I ride with a average $200 modular helmet.

Hmmm, only seeing a max of 22" from Madstad for FJ? I bought the bike with a taller mod (not sure which one), but still about 3 inches short for me. 
Yes, also had the ECU refreshed. Feeling good there, although a bit sensitive from stop to 1st.

Yes, these silicon earplugs from CVS fixed the noise problem mid trip. I ride with a average $200 modular helmet.
They have a 24".  I had the problem when I ordered mine in 2016 with it not showing up either.  If you scroll further down you can see it in the chart.  YOu may have to order through their support. 
Definitely worth it though, so adjustable.  I got the 24", and I'm 6'3"

https://madstad.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-fj-09-2015-up

I found the receipt and the 22" was return ed and the 24" was purchased. 
I agree with you that the 22" was a few inches shy of the goal: I want to wind stream to flow just above my helmet, or close to it,just not in my face :_)

Madstad has some 'returned' windshields that they can sell for less, perhaps trade in your 22" for a 24"?...it made a big difference for me.

Flashing the ECU really sealed the deal...smooth airflow, smooth acceleration, lots of horse power, I am happy!

Item           QTY Description                                                             Options Rate Tax Amount
FJ09-24-CL 1    Yamaha FJ-09 24" Clear Windshield Yamaha FJ-09 140.00 Yes 140.00

@joeldude Re the 24" Madstad - how tall are you ? Thanks

Archived