• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Anyone else riding to view the eclipse?

• Premium Member
The weather looks good for southwest KY if a little warm.  Planning to ride up somewhere near the Land Between the Lakes to view the eclipse.  I've got a pair of eclipse glasses and a filter for my camera.

Anyone else riding to the totality?

• Premium Member
I was seriously considering riding from SoCal up to Oregon to get the Iron Butt SS1k cert for this ride, but then I remembered I haven't ridden more than 3 hours a day for about 20 years and thought better of it. Stupid brain.

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

• Supporting Member
I was seriously considering riding from SoCal up to Oregon to get the Iron Butt SS1k cert for this ride, but then I remembered I haven't ridden more than 3 hours a day for about 20 years and thought better of it. Stupid brain.
4-5 days in advance and Dept of Transportation and local news was already reporting traffic backups of up to 15 miles in some areas in Oregon and expecting it to get much worse over the weekend. I ride to escape society and traffic jams, no way in hell I would subject myself to that misery.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
4-5 days in advance and Dept of Transportation and local news was already reporting traffic backups of up to 15 miles in some areas in Oregon and expecting it to get much worse over the weekend. I ride to escape society and traffic jams, no way in hell I would subject myself to that misery.

That was pretty much what I was thinking. Plus, having to leave lanesharing at the door when entering Oregon would be a major minus on this journey.

Chadman http://www.twistypedia.com
The roster: '79 Honda XL 125 '83, Honda Ascot VT500, '84 Kawasaki GPz 550, '83 Honda VF700, '86 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '87 Kawasaki Ninja 1000, '84 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '96 Honda CBR600F, '98 Kawasaki ZX-7R, '85 Kawasaki Ninja 600, '01 Suzuki GSX-R 750, '16 Yamaha FJ-09, '15 Yamaha FJR1300ES, KTM 1290 Super Duke GT

• Premium Member
Drove up to Mt. Juliet Tennessee yesterday. Spend the weekend with my son and his wife. Watch the eclipse 2m 30sec. Leave Tuesday. Didn't ride through. Too flipping hot. When I was going through Alabama the outside air temp was 101°

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
I live right in the path of totality here in Oregon. Alas, I have to be in San Diego for work on Monday. :-(
Central Oregon is my "playground" of choice (ridiculously good riding and overall great road conditions).  At the beginning of the year I had planned a road trip through Oregon for this week, Bend, Mitchell, John Day, Dooley Mountain, Enterprise and Rattlesnake Grade.  After realizing it was the same week as the eclipse, I quickly postponed my vacation. Being in San Diego during this influx of tourists is probably a blessing.

• Premium Member
Drove up to Mt. Juliet Tennessee yesterday. Spend the weekend with my son and his wife. Watch the eclipse 2m 30sec. Leave Tuesday. Didn't ride through. Too flipping hot. When I was going through Alabama the outside air temp was 101°
I'm assuming traffic in Nashville will be crazy, so I picked LBL.  Should be lots of opportunities to find parking spots even if the biggest locations (Golden Pond observatory, etc.), will probably be crowded. 

• Premium Member
Everyone here in Seattle is going south to Oregon to see the event, I'm going north to Hwy 20 and east across the northern cascade mountains, and then when I hit desert, I'll head south on Hwy 97 and come back west across on Hwy 2. Lots of mountain riding with plenty of twisties, and hopefully no traffic since everyone else will be in Oregon looking at the eclipse.

• Supporting Member
I'm going north to Hwy 20 and east across the northern cascade mountains, and then when I hit desert, I'll head south on Hwy 97 and come back west across on Hwy 2.
Ha- I'm riding the exact same area on Wednesday/Thursday and Friday.  Highway 20 across to Usk, then back through Chewelah, Inchelium, Nespelem, Blewett Pass and White Pass.  If you have never ridden the stretch from Nespelem to Usk, you owe it to yourself.  FANTASTIC riding, with ZERO traffic!! 

Archived