Ninja H2-powered super-tourer

betoney

• Supporting Member
Kawasaki is releasing a H2 based supercharged tourer.  Replacement for the GTR1400 (C14 in U.S.) as they are no longer being produced?

- SX and GT spec versions like the KTM Super Duke.

Assuming that it (hopefully) has semi-comfortable ergonomics, what do you all think? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I wondered who was going to bring this up first, @betoney .  
200 hp with luggage... What’s not to like? smiley.png
It looks alot like the Ninja 1000, which I like.  I had seriously considered the Ninja 1000 before buying the FJ, the test ride was impressive but the ergonomics were a bit too aggressive for my needs.   
I have ridden the C14 and FJR back to back, while they are fantastic bikes, the FJR felt much more sporty to me.  If they can retain most of the long-range touring aspects of the C14 and make it lighter and sportier... then like @texscottyd said, "Whats not to like?".

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Since Kawi has yet to 'unveil' it, I'm guessing the pic is an MCN photochop. Looks like just C14 fairing and luggage grafted onto Ninja 1K... not that it looks bad, but I'm guessing the new bike won't look much like that. MC styling has evolved quite a bit since the C14 debuted...

Since I'm an FJR rider, I see this as a bike that would be more in line to compete with the FJR than the FJ09. Although I love the concept, Kawasaki would have put in serious effort to make me seriously consider this. Currently cruise control, throttle modes (ride by wire), heated grips, etc are missing from the C14. Also, I love being able to run regular 87 octane on my FJR and I'm sure this would definitely require premium. The long term reliability of the supercharged motor would also be an unknown. Shaft drive would be another must if I were to consider this bike.

Edit: That ugly exhaust in the concept picture would have to go immediately. At least the FJR stock exhaust looks nice.

• Supporting Member
@rodan - No question that photo is mostly wild internet photoshop speculation... you can actually see the MCN watermark on the image.

That said, I still like the idea (vague concept?) of where I think this is going. It’s decidedly different than the FJ, but could also be a different space than the FJR/C14; almost like 3 corners of a sport-touring triangle. Who knows if anything will come of it, and price point could be a deal breaker, but for now I’m absolutely intrigued.

• 1 month later...
Guest bikeral
Here it is:

Ninja_H2_SX_SE_10.jpg

Info:

Two years have passed since we had our socks forcibly removed by the bonkers Ninja H2, Kawasaki’s game-changing supercharged litre-beater. But while it was sent to wow us, the long game was always about the introduction of production supercharged engines. And this is the first more mass-market destined model to emerge from the project.

Still boasting the Ninja H2 moniker, the key letters here are actually SX – denoting its touring intent. While it would be logical to assume that Kawasaki have simply bolted a rear subframe to their nuts Ninja, the changes are actually far more extensive.

The chassis is new, the engine is new, and the riding experience will be, too. The substantially reworked engine also boasts a new flavour of supercharger to smooth out the power delivery, and soften the H2’s dramatic punch. It’s also there to allow the 998cc inline-four to muster 207bhp peak power and 101.3lbft, while achieving much-improved emissions, and the same sort of fuel economy you’d expect from the less well-endowed Versys 1000. Not only is it frugal, but it allows the SX to run a relatively small 19-litre fuel tank, while still going the distance.

Electronic intervention
The H2 SX SE gets cornering lights, and the top-spec dash, which combines an analogue tacho with a multi-function TFT Colour dash (the stocker gets LCD). There are two selectable display modes (Touring or Sport) to allow riders to prioritise what they see on screen.

There’s also electronic cruise control, and KCMF (Kawasaki Cornering Management Function), which uses an IMU to monitor engine and chassis performance throughout the corner, modulating brake force and engine power to get the best transition from acceleration to braking and back again. There’s also traction control, a bi-directional quickshifter, launch control, and engine braking control.

Shock news
One surprise is the lack of electronic suspension. Nonetheless, it is fully adjustable at both ends and there’s a remote rear preload adjuster, too. There’s plenty of competition in the fast touring market, whether any of them can compete with the SX will be one of 2018’s most interesting questions.

Ninja H2 SX
The new SX comes in two flavours, the full-fat SX SE, and the base specification SX. The differences aren’t dramatic, and without confirmed prices to judge the gap, it’s hard to say whether the SE if worth the extra wonga. The most obvious visual clue to which model is which is the colour schemes.

The SE comes in garish Ninja colours, while the stock SX is black only. Other visual clues include a lower screen, and a slab of plastic where the SE gets progressive cornering lights. From the cockpit, you’ll also notice a lower spec LCD screen sits alongside the analogue tacho. Underneath the fairings, you get exactly the same balanced supercharged engine, chassis, and 19 litre fuel tank – delivering the same touring range. The SX weighs 4kg less than the SE, but you’re unlikely to notice that with 207bhp to play with.

With those drop-down 'bars and the raked-back screen, this is no tourer, unless you're planning to carry your very own private physiotherapist on the back!  And adding panniers does not automatically make a tourer - super or otherwise. 

But I do like the overall look... :)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived