Tents.....a farkle or not??

A quandary that some will say "well yeah" and others will say "no way", but still it forms part of a lot of our kit when we head out of our driveways bound for places most "normal" people wouldn't probably visit.

Most of my long distance riding friends are very experienced at the whole camping experience, while I am relatively new to it. Karl (hubby) took me camping for the very first time in my entire life about 4 years ago and now he says "I've created a monster".   Little did I know that I was going to enjoy it so much.
Karl has a little Oztrail 2 man tent which I have been using during this time and on my recent Border Run adventure must admit that it didn't really cut the muster......have had to patch it and the zipper has busted.

Since then I have had tentitis  :D on the quest for "that" tent that will make my life on the road just a little more comfy.

With a little help from my girlfriend over the weekend, I FINALLY made a decision and made the purchase of "the" tent for Kimmie.
It should arrive on Friday (fingers crossed) and since I cannot go away this weekend, I will be setting it up in the backyard and having a pretend "camp out"!!!

What did I buy?
Vango Omega 250 here's the link to what it looks like Vango Omega 250 - 2 man, 3 Season tent

Obviously, I will post up pics when I get to set it up and will let you know what I think.
But for now...I've very excited.
Keep you posted.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Guest bikeral
Good choice of tent. I have a Vango as well but can't remember which model I have. I know it packs down very small and weighs hardly anything which makes it ideal for the bike

That being said, don't get to use it that much as the wife prefers the comfort of B&B, hostels or hotel instead. At least it enables me to travel even lighter :)

Good choice of tent. I have a Vango as well but can't remember which model I have. I know it packs down very small and weighs hardly anything which makes it ideal for the bike 
That being said, don't get to use it that much as the wife prefers the comfort of B&B, hostels or hotel instead. At least it enables me to travel even lighter smiley.png
'twould be even lighter if you didn't take the wife!   But I am totally with your wife - I'm far too old to enjoy sleeping 'neath the stars, unless they be the four or five stars of a Hilton, Sheraton, or at least a Travelodge!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I camp quite a bit. I use an ENO hammock and rain fly when needed. I have the bug net but have never needed it. It’s like packing a soft ball and two baseballs.
I sleep better in the hammock than I do my bed at home.

Let’s go Brandon

I enjoy reading the post from members in Australia as you guys and gals gotta plan out your trips... gives me ideas on what's really needed or not for when I get a chance to do a multi day trip...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

@kimmie you chose well. I run expeditions for our school and we take 150 13 year old girls out twice a year, all in Vango tents. They are designed to take a bit of abuse, are easy to pitch and can be pitched as one (inner already attached to the outer) which is hugely helpful if it’s raining.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Nice choice.Do you use a stretcher or sleeping pad ?

Inflatable Exped mat - full length 
Posted by norcal61614 hours agoI enjoy reading the post from members in Australia as you guys and gals gotta plan out your trips... gives me ideas on what's really needed or not for when I get a chance to do a multi day trip...

Plan the ride....ride the plan Norcal.You don't have to for all your trips though. You can get a decent 600 kays without having to plan once you know the area and what's available.
I have my most favourite place in Australia only 660 kays from my front door - Tintaldra, VIC. Lovely little spot through the Snowy high country over the Tooma Valley across the Mighty Murray River. There isn't much there...just the pub, caravan park and Betty's B&B but it's a slice of heaven to me.

Thanks BBB. The All-in-one pitch was one of the great features that sold me on Vango.
I don't do a lot of camping cos hubby is like Wordsmith...likes the 3-5 stars or even a 1 star at a push, so I've told him you can stay in a cabin and I'll take me tent (he camped as a kid and doesn't have great memories)

I love camping, I do it as light as possible, I can fit all my gear in a 39L top box! Inflatable bed roll, ultralight sleeping bag and a swag style single tent. Don’t get to do it nearly as much as I’d like though. We usually go camping to ride the dirt bikes too, I only have a beach buggy as a car so have to pack light there too..!

• Premium Member
I like that tent. I'm using a North Face backpacking tent that I bought a few years ago for bicycle touring. It packs small and the quality is excellent, but I have no space to keep gear dry.

nice tent. I will say I am one who always thought hotels were the way to go. I took trip last year and thought I would try my hand at camping it. My thought was if weather was terrible or some other situation prevented camping I would just check in to a hotel. Camping turned out to the best part. Most camp grounds had wifi, private showers and was didn't seem like roughing it at all. I did hit some remote places (by choice) where those things didn't exist but camping is not how I remember it as a kiddo. Trust me if I can do it anyone can. I went with a catoma tent. was small enough to pack with integrated poles which set up and take down literally took minutes. I like the extra shelter your tent provides. Along my trip which lasted a couple of weeks I saw all kinds of set ups but never regretted what I was using. https://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?CID=112 if anyone is interested in what I used.

Glamping Qld - intimacy in luxe tents, near Brisbane, Gold Coast

Glamping Qld: secluded wilderness, rotating in-tent fireplace, vintage baths, rain-head shower and more. It’s hard to illustrate the expansive feeling which comes as you walk into a nightfall camp custom-designed safari-tent. ... nightfall’s three guests tents are well-spaced to ...
‘Glamping’, I understand, means GLAMorous camPING, with the above amenities plus - in some tropical locations - air-conditioned tents!

That’s my idea of ‘camping’!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Tah-dah!!!! The tent of all tents has arrived.....*sounding trumpets* please.

Well last night I set it up. The instructions say, "it' takes 12 minutes".....lies, I tell you, all lies. Nearly 2 hours and I had to call my girlfriend to give me a hand, but when it was up and ready to go.....

OMG!! what a sight to behold!! 

To answer my own question.....it is as Nico so pleasantly phrased it.....an accessory! and a might damn fine one too.

Naturally, with Karl overseas for work at the moment, Ella-Jane (the dog) and I HAD to test it out.

Sleeping Pod - Very spacious, lots of pocket space and a hook for a light to hang from at the foot of the sleeping pod. The door has a C shaped zipper and a mesh insert which can be covered in colder weather.

The front porch (vestibule) or garage is almost as big as the sleeping pod and has and detachable ground sheet the is raised on the sides to stop water coming in on the floor....brilliant!
There are 2x small windows with covers. One side door has double skinned......mesh inner and tent outter which can be used together or mesh alone. The other is a single skinned tent door.

I am VERY IMPRESSED!!
Here's some pics of the Taj Mah-Kimmie

CRlo90xTFlEE-7J9eYI5uIjDTt-F4uZYi9wqGwBOFUPh-euCrDq-N4kqcyH10zn2H_SlzkOoIz6jsil3p513q4ILugCXMs0RADGZYsjTtdYHsWXIAWIRB4_BKVjiWRzJwDbcpFLobERgN-pZ9VJDhytEHQKxT4OrGXr-68BijPT-2WDen0ErZ2JRrkLEtyvgk_uKG3XU28jI82-YyjpAF7LFRI2HCQtqgbLMZmf38NfdHJ2QgBKq2zh3Ue282J_JJOSPsDTSfUHLJqGs6cTAMryWeGnlggYVlVGdMgEodtoqgPxslGU2onnlBUhj6lbaZMD9TS2D8fhIL4UbuU18YXhRsZnddJ-O1ieYeKUzqZPAabteFq3XiDEy69-Bj-kOI_zzPMLeC-u0L8FSVJhxQwroO41n3cV2IWWiYnrjVIYPCOfRkIPXnyZTwL42HqVen_Mes99vOpcDSCG0BJZd6LW9HOZQAg1qrXxwHlV_QDgZtL-KvNrLtYPfPkNYX6I6egASm0L6hQv4fnrym3yJQWTdumwjrYDdMMKi7LDwY7yfI87yoILLghg9bKoek2eGbFZVZa1PSRLP1GLjTYB-AZ-ovKRWJTRnlfLtvsvbOg=w1224-h918-no

uFx5kLJigb605U6Gmjz_TNsinCnyIxLjcFQB1vveMN8sR9S5FOyR47MqJnigtE1JN6mDR4tTtEzp8HWyRi2ysqo1dP4tgwhQBo7KFJuDnrnrq2E1f0FzxCLdCQuxOr1vSMo4BqIWpGf_RYwb9wn-S03y2uO5PYNEkKaZW4OUZP_VKOvafNm_Gmt1V3z_Y3gQKee7qMZf5mI8Hbor6KC-mHOXaiJxS2BhSwkwF7lFyvXHb0ozGnX2XoXzY8Xc4OnGbfCy4AeY6a5TRE3q7HQ_QfOk-mav7CFjGQikZnpLoLjlCq5qvmFCS1wUuIWZxRIo7eMM4N5xhUpnCoCPZWBND9jc-E-AOp9MAX2L5lwMn0H-LVGLySUvfnDx8qftHNmaGTgWylsKhlARWuuInCq0tmWWwy8akAXSO_aSmJxtzZ2lU3HJCllm8pLQS0YEQBs6RlISEjqqlM7-qmUycTw8drA406mh7KrPZmtpytVvm5vC8e6T2bCcuMErnL8lIpT6SQ88uOhTRkS8qXKzjMCB0YZAcItt4yiQr03ldRTWZpoILmx7GP_LM4AcFuiWVXRM4JVHMCetPcbZ6PH9ydzY23BSKn58-lFnbY87tjhUSw=w689-h918-nomAlZEvpMtfTws8pofiorZLM5xmxmDgq37vnHmPMawX4fv9ZggoO1N7aN_qrEI2elqCb4NaNKycs2YCzuFGTQQNCzwtZTwJJ9uQd6JgY9IKljXKbSDhSAzeFy7_CXS8PKetoYakeY3h0Msiuw_qMFhC11x6esbnUxOqmMM7Ayr4RUq8UUxTn3Fl6o_rIeAGoL-RNQcXAXO1ymS7hk31kt1qQGTLhXrRuDYvc4hLfQGtBAC6efpA2M6ejOlCYe4LXbLBtz7cvY7MWclz58kotDack5-TpHblVPt7dfBsM77NDA17pzLhKYJmdDyswg1fu-MT98p5F54hfdEqF52p6XqvXanDiy165ATHs307QH1m0I6g68Fwa1Q23vIvbsWMTmNjq3ySz4C_uMwt3wd1ArHO_FE0aHzLeeHT-652MzAYnEN1oNAYUb8uKhZN0k0uj8w7T_sKGlQAdAWkRsnwhvoUN5e7npafMGZhM_iR3XkbCQB9vC6SQbNQ7jWjOTT3XIWl3_Di-aBeRvNwalfohLX2kMLldLBiksbJiMn37U_yChkI1lgh_Yvi-vhk0S-CR9zP3NGOCajuaDMjLE2IxNsr-tHGP34K8ojDPI2plG2g=w1224-h918-nogbU4H4owMvu5YCQI1nJWTlP5BrN2hg1MJqu6te_wRXcyc_JTmsq-8uPBi6XY_G5xzUce6Brp4EXy6I3OViLZnURxIcw5Wr4PNHA7-kAl53TyPgUEBFlbbZJjXPReApEkXmlKK52gzP4V8tDwljwiORyHGVKxKxyGuE85fPifb33YpOxwUFQx1c-Zi4MdSjv4z5cSIqCEsJAhu4MEmB2dQvaQTvfqd8NmXkE_Ks0CuUneKw6R-GzimMprVNrIC8iCKqzXw5CaNqIotWCMSxRxhKcR28LPLUv1Z6kGbb1jjWSSafGrw5IC_aeWqxNH_KIHgg_lXJ7CG-KIUjmNVKXiH5Jbuh2HJHpN4q7ZGJPWYA2zCwpiPZnDS8APHvQTz2mVt1vIUe7NedZkvMZnAL_l8Ytjg9vJV6X0p6_DtLq8l6Gh6ZAxHHuM3TYi6YpFaiXdazIJPoR6C81kySuAKgiwrrBgCil5IVamBEB0cIemiCFG8JcBUB1xlIyXitblgXqYBo6vH3v2DxoIHLu96DGfXaGVVYkMCH9L2xUapxe2d44g3_c6Cg5sqCP52LY3CC2_S2JOv-4si51hg2gMgs4haka_hRwkf8cYRA4Iq0ITIQ=w689-h918-no

Sorry for the size...I will figure out how to reduce future pics before uploading.

Archived