What do You Think? Fuel Economy

The digital readout on my MT09 Tracer tells me I'm getting 74 miles per gallon. Could this be correct? I have tried a reset but 74mpg is confirmed. I do ride like a pussy but 74mpg still seems unrealistic. What do you think?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The digital readout on my MT09 Tracer tells me I'm getting 74 miles per gallon. Could this be correct? I have tried a reset but 74mpg is confirmed. I do ride like a pussy but 74mpg still seems unrealistic. What do you think?
Were you coasting down hill for half the tank? I've been in the 50's while in the mountains doing leisurely riding, but 74 is up there in the 250cc range of mileage.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

it does seem particularly frugal, is the UK or US gallon?  If it's US then that's extraordinary.  
I'm not 100% sure but I believe the system is set for uk gallons

The 74mpg I quoted is based on about 2000 miles.

• Supporting Member
Are you sure you have your readout units in miles? or is it set to kilometers? 74 kph is about 45-46 mph which is what I average for fuel economy.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Are you sure you have your readout units in miles? or is it set to kilometers? 74 kph is about 45-46 mph which is what I average for fuel economy.
No diss intended, betoney, but haven't you mis-scribed mph instead of mpg?   Easily done...   FWIW, my 2016 shows average to-date consumption at 3.7L per 100km, which translates (so Google tells me!) to 70mpg UK or 63mpg US.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
No diss intended, betoney, but haven't you mis-scribed mph instead of mpg?   Easily done...   FWIW, my 2016 shows average to-date consumption at 3.7L per 100km, which translates (so Google tells me!) to 70mpg UK or 63mpg US.
Good catch on my mistake.  ;-|

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I consistently get around 45mpg US, but I either find myself doing 75+mph on the freeway or reving it up joy riding on back roads. I don’t ride the thing to save gas. I’m also a very large guy. A smaller guy babying the thing I would not count out ~60mpg (us). But usually I found the on bike display a little optimism. I wouldn’t be surprised if you calculated it by what you put in at the pump if you were closer to the mid 50’s mpg US.

• Premium Member

On the Natchez Trace this spring. The absolute best I've ever seen. Of course I was riding with a buddy who's nickname is "Miss Daisy" :)  

FJ-09_mpg.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
LOL fddriver2, it looks like you and I have customized our displays in exactly the same way.
Great or is that (grate) minds.............  (rofl)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Being in  Australia  the rest of the world, my dash is set to Litres/100km.
It's usually about 5 litres to 100 km, (with Givi barn door in std mode) which according to this website,
https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-kmpergaluk.html?val=5
is 56 GB MPG or 47 US MPG
or 75 km/US gallon or 90 km/GB gallon

It's about time those two countries joined the rest of the world with metric measurements.

Being in  Australia  the rest of the world, my dash is set to Litres/100km. It's usually about 5 litres to 100 km, (with Givi barn door in std mode) which according to this website,
https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-lper100km-to-kmpergaluk.html?val=5
is 56 GB MPG or 47 US MPG
or 75 km/US gallon or 90 km/GB gallon

It's about time those two countries joined the rest of the world with metric measurements.

Never.

I've been consistently getting 45mpg, that's US miles, with the exception of this last tank which for some unknown reason was gone in 75 miles.

Archived