Looking For a Lighter Bike

grkane

Hi, my current rides are a 2015 Versys 650 and for many years, a Honda ST1300. The Honda is as good a long distance bike as it gets, but I recently fractured my ankle and severed my Achilles’ tendon so I need to go lighter for my distance rides and the Versys is good but a bit underpowered to keep up with the big boys. The FJ is high on my list. Please convince me. Have at it!

Greg

• Supporting Member
Not only is the FJ light but the real key to the bike is the CP3 motor, it really is a gem.  My previous bike was a Gen II FZ1 with 140hp and I thought an 850cc would bore me to tears - NOT SO!  Yamaha hit a home run with this triple.  You will definitely be able to hang with the big boys.
I use mine for sporty mountain/canyon twisty riding as well as multi-day road trips and the bike excels at both, with some modifications. - Suspension for the twisties, custom seat, screen and cruise control for road trips.

Next summer/fall, the 2019 Tracer 900 GT will be released.  Ultimately it is the replacement for the FJ-09 with all of the upgrades that current users have been making to their bikes since it was released in 2015.
The GT will have updated body panel styling, wind screen, seat and hand guards, improved suspension with compression adjustment on the fork and remote preload on the shock, new full color TFT screen, cruise control, heated grips, quick shifter and and side bags. 
I have already modified my '15 to GT specs (except for the quick shifter) but if I was looking to buy new, I would seriously consider waiting 8-9 months and get the GT model.

Like @piotrek said, take one out for a test ride to see how it feels to you.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ive just moved from a 13' Ninja 650 to a 16' FJ-09 and I wouldn't go back. The FJ has plenty of power compared to the Twin and its only a few lbs heavier. 464lb for the FJ and 455lbs for the Ninja 650.

If you can take one for a spin you will drop the Kawasaki in a heart beat. Every aspect of this bike is better than the Kawasaki in my opinion. The seat position, the power, the wind protection, the overall comfort.

I felt the ninja 650 and the Versy 650 are both good bikes, they can do anything that you want. They do not do anything excellent but can do almost anything alright. Every category that the Kawasaki is OK in the FJ is great in (if not great, better)

I was between a Versy 1000 and the FJ when it was time for a new bike and the FJ won for me. Good luck with the search.

with traction control off the front end easily powers up. For twisties and back road riding, gravel roads and some light two track I have really enjoyed this bike.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I understand the quest for a lighter ride.

Like you I also had a fabulous sport touring bike in the Honda Blackbird, but after a non bike related injury found it difficult to manoeuvre the big girl around.
Do your homework, go ride one, read all the techie stuff on here and make an informed decision.

My FJ-09/MT09-Tracer does a LOT of long distance riding, fully loaded with panniers, topbox and usually a 60lt bag on the pillion seat with my camping gear in it and handles it quite well. Mind you as others will tell you they have had to make some adjustments to the suspension front and rear..I am not different but once you figure it out.....you'll be stoked with the ride.

Yes, the FJ-09 is lighter and gets pretty good kilometres to the tank on steady riding - so I would recommend it.

Anyhoos, happy shopping an testing.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Guest kernowjim
Hi, my current rides are a 2015 Versys 650 and for many years, a Honda ST1300. The Honda is as good a long distance bike as it gets, but I recently fractured my ankle and severed my Achilles’ tendon so I need to go lighter for my distance rides and the Versys is good but a bit underpowered to keep up with the big boys. The FJ is high on my list. Please convince me. Have at it! 
Greg
The FJ-09 (MT-09 Tracer here in England) is one of the lightest bikes I've ever ridden and it's light weight was the reason I sold my Triumph Tiger Explorer.  The handling is sublime and it's such an easy bike to manage, go for it!

• Premium Member
As a point of reference, wet weight of the FJ-09 is only 12 lbs more than the YZF600 (Thundercat), and 45 lbs LESS than a VFR800. The YZF and VFR were long considered great lightweight sport tourers.

Stir in a more roomy riding position and bunch more power, and you have the FJ-09.

I traded in my Versys 650 for the FJ almost 2 years ago. The Versys is a great little bike, but the FJ is definitely more fun to ride by a sizeable margin.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I traded in my Versys 650 for the FJ almost 2 years ago. The Versys is a great little bike, but the FJ is definitely more fun to ride by a sizeable margin.
Same story for me and I concur with @duhs10's assessment on both bikes. 

The FJ09 has a considerable weight : 208 kgms, yet you don't feel it very much, as it has low center of gravity, and you can handle it well. I had a tenere xt660z, same weight, with high center of gravity, and felt very heavy... Not as manageable as the FJ09

In terms of power and speed... This triple is very descent... As far as I have heard, it has as much or a bit more power /torque than a BMW gs 1200, when accelerating and demanding sudden on road force

• Premium Member
Test ride the FJ and make sure the aerodynamics are ok. I'd bet the ST1300 has much better airflow. Even with a lot of improvement with aftermarket stuff, air flow is the worst part of this bike. Tank range is fine for me - about 170 miles to low fuel light. Chain drive like your Versys. Otherwise - go for it.

• Premium Member
Like stated above, weather coverage is not near that of the ST (I have an ST1100). But there are several windshield options that will somewhat address the wind coverage.

I have the OEM saddle bags, and their capacity is less than that of the ST1100-1300 fare. Top boxes are also available and I opted for the 50l OEM version, which is bigger than most I've seen installed on most STs. So, combined storage is about the same with FJ-09 OEM bags/50l top box and my ST-1100 factory bags/Givi 43?L top box.

I find the FJ's rider ergos pretty comfortable, though the stock seat has much to be desired. Passenger ergos suck for anyone bigger than a 12 yr old contortionist.

As far as performance, you will have no issue hanging with the STs. I lead OH-STOC this year with my FJ (drop and sweep) and ran a pace easily outpacing the ST. The FJ will flat-out flog an ST in acceleration (till the nanny won't let it go any faster!) and will cruise right down the road, though not as smooth as the heavy STs. Suspension tuning will help, but upgrades would probably be preferred.

Fuel mileage has been mentioned. I usually average 46-48 mpg, even running a fairly aggressive pace.

For me, the FJ is an addition to my stable, not a replacement for my ST. It is MUCH EASIER to move around the garage or in a lot, but the seat height is a bit higher than the STs, keeping me on my toes! For my one-up play rides, the FJ gets the call. For LD or 2 up, I'll take the ST. I think the FJ could be a fair LD bike, but after coming off of an ST/FJR/Connie/BMW the weather coverage, shaft drives and smooth rides will be missed. That said, the FJ puts a stupid-silly grin on my face every time I ride it! The engine is awesome, power/weight ration is great, ABS/TCS works well and it feels like a big dirt bike. It's just a fun bike to ride!

Get your leg over one and see if it tickles your fancy!

...the FJ puts a stupid-silly grin on my face every time I ride it! The engine is awesome, power/weight ration is great, ABS/TCS works well and it feels like a big dirt bike. It's just a fun bike to ride!...

100%

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived