How do you set up your instrument panel display preferences?

• Premium Member
On the three screens mine is:
1) Total mileage.
Trip one
Engine coolant.
2) Ambient temp.
Trip 2
Total mileage
3) Average Fuel
Constant Fuel
Time trip.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

There seems not to be a way to change the grouping of data shown. I do not understand why both trips are in same group. I prefer to monitor mpg, so usually shows odometer and both mpg indicators, average snd instant. Flip to trip when i want to know distance since last fuel-up, or to temp for that info.

• Premium Member
There seems not to be a way to change the grouping of data shown.
Press and hold the menu button until the settings menu appears. I can't remember the exact name of the submenus, but you should be able to completely customize each spot in all three menus. At least that's how it works in my '15 FJ.

Has anyone seen a way to tell how many miles left before you run out of gas...? Is there an instrument panel display reading to show miles left? If not it would be cool to have I think.

nope!! majority of us use the trip1 meter to see how many miles we racked up on that fill up... motorcycle gas tanks are not very friendly as automotive gas tanks for accurate readings that give approx range left... you can always carry a spare gas in a fuel bottle when riding around localy to see how far you can go...do that a few times and you will get an idea how far you can go...seems like I avg 180-200 miles a tank on a race like tune and -1T front sprocket...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
I use TRIP-2 for tank mileage and TRIP-1 for ride total mileage. I get crappy mpg, maybe 38 though if I take it very easy almost 43; it's rated at 44 and many of you exceed that. I don't feel comfortable exceeding 175 miles on a tank...  I rack it up to my right wrist, Givi barn door screen with MRW spoiler, Shad SH46 top case (I only run my SH36 side cases on "tour"), E-10 fuel, case guards with driving lights, and of course my gut which is the size and shape of Lake Michigan... I'm checking everything again this so far sub-zero winter (my 2nd with it since new in July 2016 now at about 23k miles) including adjusting the valves for the first time, so maybe it will improve after.

My Screens

ODO
TRIP-2
TIME TRIP (USELESS MOSTLY)

C TEMP
A TEMP
TRIP-1

CRNT FUEL
TRIP-2
FUEL AVG

20170813_173644.jpg

20161126_150014.jpg

20161126_145901.jpg

2 and 3 Cylinders ... may I ask what the hand-guards are have on the FJ?  Obviously they fit without interfering with the Givi Screen at full turn. 

They are KTM factory hand guards. I got mine off Amazon: 

NEW KTM HANDGUARDS 2015 690 1190 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE ABS ENDURO 6030217910030
by KTM
Link: http://a.co/c4DRTfi

Screen 1: Ambient Temp, Coolant Temp, Trip 1.
Screen 2: ODO, Trip 1, Trip 2
Screen 3 (which is seldom used): Trip Time, AVG Fuel, CRNT Fuel.

I use Trip 1 to monitor my need for fuel.  Once I hit 200 miles it's time to find gas.  I'm very pleased with the range.

Trip 2 is to monitor the miles on the chain.  I try to do chain maintenance every 500 miles give or take.  I have 16,554 on the chain and it needs replaced badly.  Not real happy about that.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
2 and 3 Cylinders ... may I ask what the hand-guards are have on the FJ?  Obviously they fit without interfering with the Givi Screen at full turn. 

They are KTM factory hand guards. I got mine off Amazon: 

NEW KTM HANDGUARDS 2015 690 1190 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE ABS ENDURO 6030217910030

by KTM

Link: http://a.co/c4DRTfi
Correct, KTM handguards.  However, since the photos with the Givi shield were taken, the handle bars were replaced with black fat bars that are about 1.5" lower (yes lower rise) with more sweep and drop for a sportier stance which puts more weight on the front tire but for me are still comfy. 
I replaced the OEM chain and sprockets with EK's best 520 with steel Superlite sprockets in OEM tooth (the latter of which really were in relatively decent shape) at about 19k miles along with installing the 3rd set of tires (ran OEM doughnuts to 10k miles, then the Metzeler Roadtec 01s and current Dunlop RS3s).  I had been running a 15T front with the OEM chain and rear cog but went back to the 16 for gas mileage.

20170609_173034.jpg

20170610_205840.jpg

Instead of time trip I wish I could put in a free trip that's in maintenance so could keep track of service intervals.
Isn't that one function of the 'free' Maintenance Display trips 1 and 2 - see pages 4-12/ 4- 13 of the Owner's Manual?   I haven't used it myself, but it seems that's what it's designed for.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
However, since the photos with the Givi shield were taken, the handle bars were replaced with black fat bars that are about 1.5" lower (yes lower rise) with more sweep and drop for a sportier stance which puts more weight on the front tire but for me are still comfy.
Exactly the setup I’m looking for myself. I know I’ve asked you before, but don’t recall the answer... which manufacturer & model handlebar are you using?

Archived