Question for Corbin seat lovers

As mush as my stock seat kills me on a long rides and it does, I do love the sport bike  feel around town with the stock seat  .Will I loose that feel with the corbin?
In my opinion the Corbin actually makes for a more aggressive riding position. The reason being that it raises your seating position and maybe even pushes you back a bit so you have more of a leaned forward feel with it.  

• Premium Member
As mush as my stock seat kills me on a long rides and it does, I do love the sport bike  feel around town with the stock seat  .Will I loose that feel with the corbin?
Where are you located? You might be able to find a local seat maker that can build you a seat with better comfort and the feel you want, for about the same price as a Corbin. Or if you're close enough to Corbin I think they do custom builds too.

I can't speak to the Corbin on the Tracer.  I went to a local Upholstery Shop that my nearest BMW dealer recommended.  Theory was that the BMW dealer is not going to recommend a poor quality Upholsterer for someone who spent around U.S. $30,000 on a motorcycle.  

It is not a $500 Russell Daylong or $400 Corbin.  But for less than 1/2 that I can and have ridden multiple 400 mile days without an issue.  Before re-do 100 miles and my A...s  was toast.  The feel of the bike is completely unchanged as a result of the re-done seat.  I am simply comfortable now.

You may want to check out Sargent as well.. their seat keeps the stock shape, more or less but more evenly disperses your weight.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I can't speak to the Corbin on the Tracer.  I went to a local Upholstery Shop that my nearest BMW dealer recommended.  Theory was that the BMW dealer is not going to recommend a poor quality Upholsterer for someone who spent around U.S. $30,000 on a motorcycle.    
It is not a $500 Russell Daylong or $400 Corbin.  But for less than 1/2 that I can and have ridden multiple 400 mile days without an issue.  Before re-do 100 miles and my A...s  was toast.  The feel of the bike is completely unchanged as a result of the re-done seat.  I am simply comfortable now.

So you buy a bike for 30 grand and the dealer will recommend an upholstery shop that will   make the seat comfortable for you. ???
BLB

Britelitebob:

Does seem a bit of a oxymoron ... but in essence yes!  I know that many of the BMW models have multiple seats available.  But some are simply uncomfortable ... particularly people with real Bony Behinds and those who could be called Amply Assed. :)

You may want to check out Sargent as well.. their seat keeps the stock shape, more or less but more evenly disperses your weight.
 The Sargent seat has a wider more bucket shape to the rear portion of the seat as compared to stock.  At 5'6" this means I miss the sweet spot of the bucket and am constantly moving forward toward the narrower front portion of the seat near the tank. In other words not working for me so well on short fast rides. Like the OP I find the OEM seat sportier and I may send it to Sargent to have them put their foam and cover on. With lightly padded compression shorts and an Alaska sheep fleece pad the OEM seat is pretty good for 150 miles. 

I went with the Sargent and am completely satisfied. First trip was about a 300 mile day with no interstate. At the end, a buddy asked how the new seat was doing and I had forgotten it was there. I couldn't do a hour without a break on the stock seat. I didn't get the pillion, only front seat, but added heat. I've been in snow in the low 30's and medium is about all the heat needed.

Seats are very subjective so try to find another FJer who might let you test ride.

Ride Safe!

• Premium Member
Where are you located?  Maybe there is a local FJ-09 rider that has a corbin seat and would let you sit on it.  I have a corbin and it's a love-hate affair.  It's 100% more comfortable than the stock seat, but I'm a bigger heavier guy at 6'1"/270lbs.  The stock seat just killed my ass.  I love that it is heated (mmmm warm tushy), 'cause I ride year round.  However, would I recommend it?  No.  It's not (IMHO) worth $600.  The seat is mediocre and the customer service was HORRIBLE.  Would the seat be worth $300?  Maybe.  Yeah, for the heat, $250 without heated elements would be fair. 
And don't even get me started about that stupid looking trunk they offer... seriously.

• Premium Member
I like my Corbin, and for those that like it a bit more plush, they offer a more padded version which fixes the most common complaint for those that don't like the feel of the stock Corbin seat.

I couldn't sit on the stock seat for very long, but I ride all day on the Corbin. As for the price, it's a small price to pay for the comfort.

Of course, everyone is different, and as you can see some folks don't like it at all.

I like my Corbin, and for those that like it a bit more plush, they offer a more padded version which fixes the most common complaint for those that don't like the feel of the stock Corbin seat.  
I couldn't sit on the stock seat for very long, but I ride all day on the Corbin. As for the price, it's a small price to pay for the comfort.

Of course, everyone is different, and as you can see some folks don't like it at all.
There will never, ever, be a seat that suits everyone!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I have a Corbin that has the soft gel option. This was after having the Corbin re done after that regular one never broke in for me after 6000 miles of riding. The soft gel was way better but I still got squirmy in the seat after about 85 - 100 miles. Tried putting on an air-hawk pad. Tried Motoskiveez padded underwear. Still squirmy. Recently went to, "Terry's Custom Seats" in which Terry used my stock seat as the base template. Had him just re cover the passenger section as well to match the driver's seat. Came out great. It is better for me than the Corbin. I also wear the Motoskiveez padded underwear which helped in the break-in process. The Corbin looks great IMHO but my Tushy doesn't have eyes. I have the Corbin passenger back rest as well and a bottle of the Corbin conditioner. I have about $800.00 invested in the Corbin seat and now it's just sitting in my garage. I haven't decided if I'm going to sell it as it may be just fine for someone else? 5701513.jpg

A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

One thing I will add is that I have the optional back rest that comes with the Corbin and my lady won't ride without it attached. For that reason alone I'll keep the Corbin around but as far as solo riding I'll use the Sargent. I'm growing ever more curious about this Terry's Custom Seats though.

Archived