Michelin Pilot Road 5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Just watched the zevzilla review on You Tube. Looks cool. I'm on my 2nd set of road pilot 4's. Absolutely love them! Especially in the rain. Very confident tire. Lightyears ahead of the Stock Dunlop's that came with my FJ09.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Got the tires mounted and the profile on the front looks good. More aggressive than the previous Michelin pilot road tires. Should help with lean in and feel. In addition, there is a larger "slick" area on the edge of the front and rear. This will help the tire to stick at max lean angles for those spirited ride days in the twisties!

Got the tires mounted and the profile on the front looks good. More aggressive than the previous Michelin pilot road tires. Should help with lean in and feel. In addition, there is a larger "slick" area on the edge of the front and rear. This will help the tire to stick at max lean angles for those spirited ride days in the twisties! I will try to get a ride in this weekend. Snow on the ground right now...

• Premium Member
Just got a set of Michelin Pilot Road 5 tires for the FJ09, front and rear.  I will update soon with a rider report.  Getting them mounted today.
Me too...I just bought a set at Cycle Gear and had them mounted today, I'm waiting for a few mail-order parts to show up so I can put the wheels back on the bike and break those Road 5s in!
That wide, slick area on the shoulder just begs to lean the bike over, and they feel noticeably stickier than the Angel GTs they replaced. I got almost 12K out of those in just less than 2 years.

• Supporting Member
they feel noticeably stickier than the Angel GTs they replaced. I got almost 12K out of those in just less than 2 years.
12,000 miles? thats impressive.  I have gone through many sets of Angel GT's, they are a fantastic tire but they are completely shot, worn down to the cords by 8,000 miles, -every set.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
they feel noticeably stickier than the Angel GTs they replaced. I got almost 12K out of those in just less than 2 years.
12,000 miles? thats impressive.  I have gone through many sets of Angel GT's, they are a fantastic tire but they are completely shot, worn down to the cords by 8,000 miles, -every set. 

Probably a result of lots of commuting miles on straight Florida roads and keeping my pressures at 36/42 all the time. Cords were showing down the middle of the tire. 10K is supposed to be a reasonable expectation for the Road 5. We shall see...

The PR4s are probably the only tires I've ever run that don't scallop on the front. What pressures are you running? I pretty much stick with stock pressure (36psi front).

36/40-42 usually.. if I am riding aggressively I’ll drop a psi or two. The 4’s were much better than the previous 3+2’s.
So hopefully the 5’s are better again!

Got the tires mounted and the profile on the front looks good. More aggressive than the previous Michelin pilot road tires. Should help with lean in and feel. In addition, there is a larger "slick" area on the edge of the front and rear. This will help the tire to stick at max lean angles for those spirited ride days in the twisties! I will try to get a ride in this weekend. Snow on the ground right now...
The weather in Oregon sucks too!  It'll be a while until I swap out the stockers for something (anything) better. I've had the PR4's on my Connie and my Versys and love them. Very interested in hearing about the new PR5's. Thanks!

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

A slightly off topic question. Anyone using 90 degree valve stems? I find it difficult to put air in with straight up stock tire valves. If so, what brand?
I have always trusted "Milton's" 90 deg extension valve in the automotive world, but for my FJ I just use a flexible air line end. I wonder if a valve extension would look funny? 

Archived