Michelin Pilot Road 5

• Premium Member
lol yes, but i would like to run them 100 miles or so and scuff them up...boost my confidence a bit
Having a tire that is great in wet weather is nice, (and maybe required here in the Pacific Northwest), but that doesn't mean I have to like riding in the rain.......

I actually enjoy riding it the rain. I was up your way in August and looking foreword to the rain and mist I’ve always heard about. It was sunny and clear the whole time....I was a little disappointed. Still loved every second of it though.

Let’s go Brandon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
I was up your way in August and looking foreword to the rain and mist I’ve always heard about. It was sunny and clear the whole time....I was a little disappointed. Still loved every second of it though.
Have you ridden on the Pacific Coast?  The foggy/misty mornings along the rugged shoreline are something to experience. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
It was sunny and clear the whole time....I was a little disappointed.
I totally understand the context, but that’s really funny as a stand-alone comment.

@betoney - There’s something kind of magical about being on the road before dawn, amidst the fog and mist as the sun just starts to break over the horizon. One of my favorite times to be riding.

• Supporting Member
It was sunny and clear the whole time....I was a little disappointed.
I totally understand the context, but that’s really funny as a stand-alone comment.  
@betoney - There’s something kind of magical about being on the road before dawn, amidst the fog and mist as the sun just starts to break over the horizon. One of my favorite times to be riding.
I totally agree, whenever I am on a roadtrip I try to be on the road around 7am.  Watching the sun rise in the canyons or mountains is always a treat. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Having a tire that is great in wet weather is nice, (and maybe required here in the Pacific Northwest), but that doesn't mean I have to like riding in the rain.......
I actually enjoy riding it the rain. I was up your way in August and looking foreword to the rain and mist I’ve always heard about. It was sunny and clear the whole time....I was a little disappointed. Still loved every second of it though.
No rain in the Pacific Northwest from 4th of July to Halloween, Rain all the time the rest of the time. 
At least we have a great summer riding season

• Premium Member
I was up your way in August and looking foreword to the rain and mist I’ve always heard about. It was sunny and clear the whole time....I was a little disappointed. Still loved every second of it though.
Have you ridden on the Pacific Coast?  The foggy/misty mornings along the rugged shoreline are something to experience.
That’s where I’ll be this August. 
I. Can’t. Wait. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
@Scooter426 - Any updates on how the PR5s are working for you? I’ve been running the PR4s, and really like the way they work on the FJ. I will be due for a fresh set of tires fairly soon, so the PR5s seem to be an obvious choice.

So far they seem good.  It is still pretty wintry here in Seattle so I have only taken a few short rides.  I am planning to try lower pressures to see if it softens up the ride a bit.  I did that with the stock Dunlops, but they really suffered during turn in.  Very sluggish feel.  Grip is good and I like the front tire profile.  Very aggressive feel during turn in.  Lots of rubber when riding at full lean.  I like that they are basically slicks at full lean angles.

Here is a pic of the PR4 (left) vs PR5 (right). You can really see how much more rubber is available at full lean.
r5-vs-pr4.png

• 4 weeks later...
Just got a set of Michelin Pilot Road 5 tires for the FJ09, front and rear.  I will update soon with a rider report.  Getting them mounted today.
I have them great on road even wet, not good on trails

Archived