Michelin Pilot Road 5

• Supporting Member
I go by the manual. 36 front
42 rear.
On my 2nd set of Pilot 4's.
Next it's the 5's. And 90 degree stems.
Whoo! Hoo!
The manual also recommends .5 inch chain slack.  As a quick experiment, try dropping the rear pressure 5-6 psi and see if the feel improves. I’m usually around 34f/36r - for more contact patch. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I go by the manual. 36 front
42 rear.

The manual is full of nonsense, as usual. 36/42 across the board might keep some twisted lawyers at bay but is just silly. Feel free to experiment with any value north of 30psi. 
  Some people are always going to go by the book, the problem is the books must be written by a bunch of yo-yos these days.
BLB

The road 5 rear tire stiffer side walls provide much better feel accelerating corners compared with the PR4.
A little less comfort on rough roads, but a significant improvement over the PR4 in the dry! If wet performance is at par with the PR4, it’s going to be my 180/55 touring tire.

• 3 weeks later...
I ran 36/42 F/R.  I do like the turn in feel on the front. 

Good grief man! Are you over 260lbs? 32-34F
34-36R

for 180-220lb rider. 
Did you mean that like he should only be running stock pressure if he was that heavy? I'm just curious what psi I should be running at 270lbs geared up.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
Good grief man! Are you over 260lbs? 32-34F
34-36R

for 180-220lb rider. 
Did you mean that like he should only be running stock pressure if he was that heavy? I'm just curious what psi I should be running at 270lbs geared up.

Ready to ride I’m pushing 300. I ride at stock pressure.

Let’s go Brandon

36/42 is fully loaded configuration (max gross vehicle weight).
My personal rule of thumb is 33/33 at 200lbs on a 400lb motorcycle. 1psi in front for every 30 lbs. 1 psi in rear for every 20lbs.
Flavor to taste, ambient temps, tire selection and observed wear rate.

• 4 weeks later...
I rode today with 34F and 39R and really like the overall feel of the PR5s. Turn in was quick and bike felt planted. Pretty smooth over bumps and still felt like it had plenty of grip mid corner. I am 195lbs and tend to ride pretty tame on the street.

I really agree with what pattonme says. Try different settings and find what you like and what works in different temps/conditions. Street tires have really come a long way since I started riding bigger street bikes in the late 80s and early 90s. Grip, feel, and wear are all so much better now.

• Premium Member
The road 5 rear tire stiffer side walls provide much better feel accelerating corners compared with the PR4. A little less comfort on rough roads, but a significant improvement over the PR4 in the dry! If wet performance is at par with the PR4, it’s going to be my 180/55 touring tire.
Michelin advertises that the PR5 wet performance when 20% worn is equivalent to the PR4 when new. I think the PR5 is going to be my next set.
 I see nothing but good reviews on these, even from reviewers who took them to the track and they seemed surprised it performed as well as it did. They're not Q3's, but for a long lasting sport touring tire, they seem to be capable of holding up Michelins reputation on top of the heap.

• Premium Member
I just had two PR5's mounted on my FJ-09.

Rode about 40 miles back home, going easy to break them in. I'll ride this weekend and see how they handle. So far, I like the tires.

Archived