Yamaha Grip Heater install ??

howie333

I ordered the genuine Yamaha grip heaters. I'm trying to install the right throttle side wiring cables that loop thru the plastic guide and screwed down to the housing. Has anyone figured out how to accomplish it, or have you just given up? I can set the cable grommets in their slots, and see how it operates, but cannot put this assembly into the lower housing. any advise ?
[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Howie.... 

• Supporting Member
I did mine a little over a year ago, and getting the cable looped correctly in the throttle housing was the most difficult part of the installation. I dont remember the exact solution, but it took a few tries to get correct.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for reply; just got it in a few minutes ago. It was a little frustrating. Should I use medium 243 locktite on the bar ends or any other locations not listed in the instructions?
[span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]Thanks, Howie...

• Supporting Member
No you don't need Loctite. Don't forget you can change the heat levels in your settings, and its normal for one hand to be hotter than the other.
When setting your heat levels, try mid-level setting for starters, like maybe 3-5-7.  A word of caution, 9 and 10 are HOT, like burn your hands hot.  I have ridden in temps as low as 29F and only ever needed a setting of 5-6 and my hands were toasty. 

No you don't need Loctite. Don't forget you can change the heat levels in your settings, and its normal for one hand to be hotter than the other.
When setting your heat levels, try mid-level setting for starters, like maybe 3-5-7.  A word of caution, 9 and 10 are HOT, like burn your hands hot.  I have ridden in temps as low as 29F and only ever needed a setting of 5-6 and my hands were toasty.
I agree, that's a great base setting 

I just finished installing my new heated grips too and yes figuring out the loop was a wall pain in the ass! It took me several tries and watching a youtube video as well before I got the grips installed!

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 2 months later...
Now that it's been 2-3months, longer for others, how are the heated grips? Any problems?
The only reason i ask is my dealer is trying to talk me out of OEM (they suck he says) to the Oxford (better, cheaper). I'd rather pay extra for the integral controls of the OEM. Curious, thanks!

Now that it's been 2-3months, longer for others, how are the heated grips? Any problems? The only reason i ask is my dealer is trying to talk me out of OEM (they suck he says) to the Oxford (better, cheaper). I'd rather pay extra for the integral controls of the OEM. Curious, thanks!
Had mine on for well over a year and a half. Still work perfectly. Love that they are integrated. They were much more expensive than aftermarket solutions, but plug and play + integrated into the OEM menu makes it worth the premium for me.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Now that it's been 2-3months, longer for others, how are the heated grips? Any problems? The only reason i ask is my dealer is trying to talk me out of OEM (they suck he says) to the Oxford (better, cheaper). I'd rather pay extra for the integral controls of the OEM. Curious, thanks!

I’ve had both before, no comparison Oem is much better. I have worn out heaps of oxfords and the oem ones have no noticeable wear at all. The oxfords are also very crude with their wire placements and impede on the grips length. Your dealer is a dick! ?

• Supporting Member
Had mine on for well over a year and a half. Still work perfectly. Love that they are integrated. They were much more expensive than aftermarket solutions, but plug and play + integrated into the OEM menu makes it worth the premium for me. ^^I agree with this 100%^^.  

During the cooler/ colder months, I use them every time I ride and have never had any problems.  I have nothing bad to say about them. 

OEM are fab. Use mine lots, love the integration into dash.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

have used mine since day 1... had to replace the throttle side last year, somehow the grip power wire got sliced inside the throttle housing... they get hot, I mean hot when set to lvl10... the grips wont transfer heat thru thick gloves as well as a pair of normal riding gloves FYI, same goes for heated gear, works wonders when used as 1st layer rather than the 3rd/4th layer which wont transfer any heat...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived