How often to clean and lube chain?

I'm new to chain drive and all my searching has led to lubing every 500 miles, clean and lube every 1000 miles. The opinions vary greatly, from never lubing due to the O/X-ring chains being internally lubed, to lubing every other ride. The middle ground is probably correct—best not to over do it, but also not leave it alone.

At least with lubing every 500 miles you're getting down close and inspecting the links often enough. If all you've ever had is a chain drive and you've never ever had problems, I think some complacency sets in and causes inspection intervals to get pushed back. Every 500 miles will get me into a habit (about every five to six days of riding).

When it looks dirty, clean it. When it looks dry, lube it. That way you avoid artificial guidelines on mileage.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I buy cheap chains and replace them often. This strategy gave me 40k miles on my stock Daytona sprockets and I hammered that bike (trackdays and hooliganism). I keep the tension in check and lube occasionally because chains are consumable to me.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I'm new to chain drive and all my searching has led to lubing every 500 miles, clean and lube every 1000 miles. The opinions vary greatly, from never lubing due to the O/X-ring chains being internally lubed, to lubing every other ride. The middle ground is probably correct—best not to over do it, but also not leave it alone. 
At least with lubing every 500 miles you're getting down close and inspecting the links often enough. If all you've ever had is a chain drive and you've never ever had problems, I think some complacency sets in and causes inspection intervals to get pushed back. Every 500 miles will get me into a habit (about every five to six days of riding).
Heres what I use. http://www.greaseninja.com/Chain-Lube-Accessory.html Spray a little WD40 on a rag and clean the chain, then follow up wit the Grease Ninja. Repeat every 1000 miles whether it needs it or not. 

I buy cheap chains and replace them often. This strategy gave me 40k miles on my stock Daytona sprockets and I hammered that bike (trackdays and hooliganism). I keep the tension in check and lube occasionally because chains are consumable to me.
Got any recommendations for cheap chains? 

Heres what I use. http://www.greaseninja.com/Chain-Lube-Accessory.html Spray a little WD40 on a rag and clean the chain, then follow up wit the Grease Ninja. Repeat every 1000 miles whether it needs it or not.

Have you used the grease ninja with chain "wax"? That stuff tends to be a little thicker. I wonder if it still works.

• Premium Member

Have you used the grease ninja with chain "wax"? That stuff tends to be a little thicker. I wonder if it still works.

It still works.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

It still works.
Don't know if it works with the Ninja or not. I go with the opposite end of the spectrum and use DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry wax Lubricant. Works great, and prolongs chain life. Not messy at all, no fling off. 

do not use a chain brush... these are sealed chains and them bruses can and will rip them o-rings up... to clean just wipe fown with rag and kerosene... I use chain wax not lube once a week, just a quick spray... in my opinion operation room grade super clean looking chains scare me...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Lots of opinions on this subject.  
My .02 is that when I had my ZZR1200, I cleaned lubed when either I thought about it or saw it was time.  My method is WD-40 on a chain cleaning brush.  Then using blue shop towels and more WD-40 sprayed on the blue shop towels and wiping til looks clean.  I then use Maxima Chain Wax.  
As stated, lots of opinions (never WD-40, no brush on O-rings, no Chain Wax), but I got about or over 35,000 miles on my chains on that 1200 with spirited riding.  I figure I should achieve similar results on the FJ.

IMHO this model and the FZ 09 eats chains. I’m on my second replacement at 27k.

It’s generally thought that the factory chain spec is too tight.

Accept that they’re consumable, and lube, clean, and adjust when you think of it. Esp after riding in rain, and/or every 500 miles or so. Brush or not, up to you.

I personally HATE white chain lube, prefer the clear stuff if you can find it.

-Skip

My only other thought on this is that the thicker, white chain wax tends to build up on the front sprocket, under the cover. After winter I took this cover off, as well as the rear chain cover and the rubber chain guide and gave the whole thing a deep clean with kerosene/paraffin. To remove the sprocket cover I found it easier to take the gear shift rod off by loosening the pinch bolt on the selector shaft and pulling it off from the top. It pivots out of the way then.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived