The Accidental Commuter

So I have been turned into something of an accidental commuter. While my wife’s van is getting fixed she is driving my SUV. That leaves me commuting by motorcycle.

I have been riding for years but always for fun. I got the FJ-09 as a more powerful replacement for an aging SV 650S. I envisioned doing some light touring on the bike but a wife who doesn’t ride and two young kids have pretty much limited that to just doing the Virginia section (and a few miles into NC) of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

For the last two weeks my only transportation has been the FJ and... drumroll... it has been pretty great. Where I live has almost no traffic (well no traffic jams) and lane splitting isn’t allowed. When adding the time it takes to get in and out of gear it adds probably 10 minutes to my commute (which usually clocks in at 18 minutes by car). However I do get to ride over twisty mountain roads to and from work. The FJ-09 has performed admirably. The riding position is comfortable and gives a good view of traffic. We have had torrential rains and the riding modes have proved useful. ABS and traction control make me feel warm and fuzzy but neither activates with any frequency.

The downside has been more people trying to turn left in front of me. Yes, I ride defensively but primarily stick to lightly traveled roads - clearly this isn’t possible when commuting.

Gear has been critical. I am partial to my Shoei Neotec, Held Air-N-Dry gloves, Dainese TRQ-Tour boots, and most important the Aerostich Roadcrafter R-3. This combination has proved to be essentially waterproof and can fit over my work attire.

I use the Yamaha hard saddle bags with liners. One is enough to fit my lunch, and work gear.

I know there are others here who commute on the FJ. Any tips and tricks you want to share? Has anyone here given up on their cars and solely commute and get around town on bike? This clearly won’t work for me in the winter (I don’t mind the cold, but ice and snow I avoid) but my time commuting has almost convinced me we could be a one car family of four.

The downside has been more people trying to turn left in front of me. Yes, I ride defensively but primarily stick to lightly traveled roads - clearly this isn’t possible when commuting.

That has been a useful and interesting overview, dakota.   I can only urge you to install some hi-viz front conspicuity LEDs, or similar, to highlight your presence on the road to those in front or oncoming.   Plenty of advice here, and D-ZELL makes a nice pair of custom LEDs specifically for the FJ-09 that install onto the front face of the hand-guards.   There's also another approach (I've used both) in a post today just before yours - not an attractive way to go, but if it works...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

That has been a useful and interesting overview, dakota.   I can only urge you to install some hi-viz front conspicuity LEDs, or similar, to highlight your presence on the road to those in front or oncoming.   Plenty of advice here, and D-ZELL makes a nice pair of custom LEDs specifically for the FJ-09 that install onto the front face of the hand-guards.   There's also another approach (I've used both) in a post today just before yours - not an attractive way to go, but if it works...

Thanks for the tip, I saw that post but prefer my front wheel to be able to move up and down!

I have considered driving lights. Maybe now is the time for an upgrade!

I commute to and from work on the FJ (28 miles each way) about 90% of the time.. during the day my high beams are on all the time. Those headlights are bright!

More lights can't hurt, but not sure how much they will help. The general public are self concerned idiots and no matter how conspicuous you are they will still somehow find a way to not see you..

I ride as if I'm invisible. Add lights, add high viz gear, add whatever, just never forget that you're responsible for not getting hit (regardless of who's at fault) if you know what I mean.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

When living in California, I commuted 20k miles / year at least. Never had extra lights or hi-viz gear. I just always assume I'm invisible and expect those left hand turns in front of me.

Here in Missouri, I commute when the weather isn't a shit-show.

Moral of the story: There are 2 types of cagers. Those who don't see you and those who are actively trying to kill you.

'15 FJ09

I start riding 24/7(unless I need my truck)as the temps stay above 45°f at night and the snow/ice/salt have gone away till it freezes again... beats spending $50 a week in gas a week only going to work/few trips to friends house down the road... or spend $25-30 having fun and daily driving on the FJ-09 on a weekly basis
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Decades of commuting on bikes. Folks can't see extra lighting or hiviz when they're blind and they're all blind. And, blind folks have important texts to get out. Not long ago I looked over at the pickup driver in the next lane and he had a tablet resting on his steering column so he could watch something. In the 70s would see the same thing but it was a newspaper.

• Premium Member
I have been commuting via motorcycle for 15 years, most days, in all but winter weather. The FJ-09 is a very capable commuter bike, nimble and with plenty of grunt to escape trouble. The upright seating position and view from the cockpit are helpful.

Seeing my helmet in my office adds a sparkle to the day, through the knowledge that I get to ride home.

Gear is key for safety and comfort. My smartest purchase was an electric vest (pigtail lead connected to the battery). I have the Aerostich Kanetsu Airvantage http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-kanetsu-airvantage-electric-vest.html . There are other quality brands out there. This combined with the Yamaha heated grips has made cold weather riding quite tolerable.

Intersection danger is real. I sometimes adjust speed to enter with a cager close by; if this isn’t possible I may change my lane position to be more conspicuous. There’s a good instructional video produced by some English blokes in which they refer to the intersection situation as SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn’t see you). My SMIDSY moment happened commuting to work a few years ago. An old timer turned left in front of me, and he really did say he didn’t see me. Hello broken collarbone.

Who knows if additional lighting helps, but it can’t hurt. I added the Skene Photon Blaster https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Front-Visibility-Systems-c22717550 which are bright. I’m hoping I stand out more at intersections particularly at dusk when risk is even greater.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Who knows if additional lighting helps, but it can’t hurt. I added the Skene Photon Blaster https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Front-Visibility-Systems-c22717550 which are bright. I’m hoping I stand out more at intersections particularly at dusk when risk is even greater.
Skene stuff is tops, if a bit costly.   I fitted their rear-mounted flashing/ pulsing P3 brake-operated  LEDs to recent bikes - BMWs and FJs/ MTs.   Brighter than a thousand suns!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I don’t often commute to school as I have too many pupil’s books to carry, but today was that happy confluence of good weather and low paperwork.

I have the SH23 side cases and it was really easy to have all I needed to take into the building in one case (smart trousers and shoes, ipad, test papers, lunch) and stuff I could leave on the bike went in the other ( lock, gloves etc). I could then just take off one case and walk into the building with it. My new mesh jacket also made me look less like an escaped Power-Ranger.

When I ride in town traffic I turn my paranoia settings up to 11. As others have said, the average driver is not fully focussed on the task of driving and is mainly on auto-pilot, plus they mainly encounter other cars, so are not tuned to look for motorbikes. I therefore slow everything down, up my braking distances and shoulder check before I move left or right, even in my own lane.

I’m not sure hi-viz makes a lot of difference. I have had cars pull out in front of me when riding the Blood Bike, which is the same bike the UK police use, covered in hi-viz livery and full beam headlights. The only thing that saved me was anticipating the collision every time you see a car in a side road.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I forget what happened but i was without for almost 3 months and had to ride the bike. Didn't matter what the weather.  Morning commuters are the worst of the lot.  Blurry eyed and half asleep.
Could not get away without the truck thou!
*disclaimer...dualsport.

accidental_commuter.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I definitely avoid riding in the snow/ice!

My wife now has her van back and So I have my SUV/crossover/whatever again. It was interesting getting around by motorcycle but I’m not sure it is for me long term. If I had to deal with traffic and I could lane split/get better parking I would probably reconsider.

• Premium Member
When I had a desk job I was commuting by MT09 Tracer. I rode in most weathers and only bailed out if it was colder than -5C which is when rock salt stops working. The best accessory for the bike, especially for winter commuting is an auto-oiler for the chain like the Tutoro one. For the rider, heated jacket, heated grips and bar muffs.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived