RDC in the house

Former rider and still in love with the FJR. Had a 2005 & sold a 2013 last Nov.. I sold the 13 with hopes of finding a 2016 FJR but haven’t got real serious about having one shipped, none are showing up locally.
Anyway, time has past and a garage full of FJR farkles may be showing up on eBay. I’ve got my eye on the new FJ09GT.

The GT should be showing up at the dealers anytime now and I’m sure this is the place to be when they do.

Anyway I’ve been hanging around reading up, time will tell but I’m thinking something lighter, more advanced than my K75c (won’t take much here) something new and that puts me inline for the 09.

Also considered Honda’s African Twin DCT but not keen on the seat height.

Nice forum. I’ll be around.
Cheers!

• Supporting Member
Welcome. The GT should be a fantastic bike, it is a cosmetically updated version of the FJ with all of Yamaha’s accessories already included. If you enjoy the current FJ then the GT should feel quite similar.
Sorry to hear that you got rid of your ‘13 FJR, those are fantastic bikes, just a bit heavy.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I sold my 2013 FJR to get a 2017 FJ09 and don't regret it for a second. I don't do much freeway traveling though. If I was trying to do cross country trips I might have kept the FJR. I'm right with you on the seat height for the Africa Twin and I think its eye sore. I'll have to see the new GTs in person before I pass total judgment, as for now I think it looks a little too flashy like a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader.

Well, I haven’t ridden the FJ-09 but it appears it has almost everything I’m looking for in a bike.
I’d rather it have a shaft but that’s ok, wind protection I know won’t be as good as the FJR but should be better than my K75, power wise should be plenty. The weight is a big factor, quick shift tranny and all the electronic goodies are appealing.

I’m also not planning any cross country trips but do run the borders of my state.

• Supporting Member
Well, I haven’t ridden the FJ-09 but it appears it has almost everything I’m looking for in a bike.  

Look up your local Yamaha dealer and try to get a test ride on a current FJ, many dealers are doing demo days soon. If you like the FJ, it will be very close to the GT.  

The CP3 motor WILL put a smile on your face, it has the broadest torque curve I’ve ever experienced. 
You can ride in 4th gear at 35mph or 3rd gear at 100mph and the motor will not complain. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Look up your local Yamaha dealer and try to get a test ride on a current FJ, many dealers are doing demo days soon. If you like the FJ, it will be very close to the GT.   
The CP3 motor WILL put a smile on your face, it has the broadest torque curve I’ve ever experienced. 
You can ride in 4th gear at 35mph or 3rd gear at 100mph and the motor will not complain. 
This right here.  Of all the things I love about this bike, the motor is at the very top of the list.  Just amazing.  I started out using 6th only rarely.  Now 5th is becoming something of an orphan...

norcal616 Avatar
May 18, 2018 6:03:13 GMT -4 norcal616 said:
well we(the forum) have already been building the GTs since 2015... you can save a ton of money buying leftover FJ-09s and farkle(suspension, seat, adding cruise control, heated grips,etc) it to your hearts content for probably less than a new GT... your only missing out on a fancy color display and 2 more modes of TC...

super top secret hint ?: the pre 2017 allow the owner to use the dashboard for sensor adjustments and trouble shooting... the 2017+ cannot
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

norcal616 Avatar May 18, 2018 6:03:13 GMT -4 norcal616 said:
well we(the forum) have already been building the GTs since 2015... you can save a ton of money buying leftover FJ-09s and farkle(suspension, seat, adding cruise control, heated grips,etc) it to your hearts content for probably less than a new GT... your only missing out on a fancy color display and 2 more modes of TC...

super top secret hint ?: the pre 2017 allow the owner to use the dashboard for sensor adjustments and trouble shooting... the 2017+ cannot

I’ve seen this brought up multiple times, has there been a big issue with sensors and errors being thrown up on the FJ09s?

I’ve seen this brought up multiple times, has there been a big issue with sensors and errors being thrown up on the FJ09s?

I think it's more the principal than that there are actual problems...

You want to pay a dealer $75+ for troubleshooting so they can tell you your abs sensor isn't seated correctly? Or see the code yourself and correct the issue for free?

...that kinda thing.

Having said that... if I were buying a FJ at this moment in time. I would be buying a new GT version.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I'm considering this too, even though I like the new gadgets on the yet-to-be-on-dealer-floors FJ-09GT. I also like the 2017 Galaxy Blue, love that color. 
There's not any FJ's locally, closest one is 200 miles southwest and I'm going there tomorrow for a sit and see, no test ride, this bike is new and not yet serviced. There's also a used Red one 200 miles southeast that I could ride but never cared much for red and really want to see this blue one.

Another option to get on something more sport-touring and new may come up if my brother decides to let it go. He has a 2001 Honda ST, very low miles but has been sitting for over 10yrs. 

Itching for something different, anxious to see this Galaxy Blue FJ more than the ST.

Well, I got to check out the Fj-09 in person and tried it on for size. Unfortunately there was a Super Tenere sitting beside it, also in blue and it's another one I need to add to the list. Matter of fact I kinda like it better than the 09.

Oh well.  ::)

Archived