Removing the factory hand guards.

For those who have removed the factory hand guards what Bar Ends did you use?  Right now I don't want to put on BarkBusters, just decent bar ends. Thanks! 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
I went with the factory bar end weights from the FZ9. Yamaha part number 5GJ-26246-00-00. They’re heavy solid steel, and do a really nice job of damping the handlebar vibrations. Cheap, too... less than $25 for the pair.

6_BD35366-_AFBE-4_D44-_AB76-_C6675_BB16_B30.jpg

For those who have removed the factory hand guards what Bar Ends did you use?  Right now I don't want to put on BarkBusters, just decent bar ends. Thanks! 
Just about any Yamaha bar end from 1984 and onward uses the same thread pitch.

Best thing I ever did was to remove the factory hand guards now the bike is lots narrower & can filter with confidence if wished! 
## With regards to end covers
1. ensure they have weight
2. also "the right one" for clearance for the throttle twist grip, or ensure you allow clearance if none on ends!
3. consider tiniest drop of glue on each in case pride an joys loosen off - or check for a few rides, until satisfied!
4. ### I got [think Yamaha??] stamped with symbol that looks like 2 G's back to back. They were Au$100 but look great, perfect fit & clearances & same grey colour as bike! PS> know expensive but thinking my last bike so me do it [age]!
5. #### - A reminder, I have heated grips, the Yamaha ones, there is a special plug on instrument cluster wires that bring grip symbol & temp control up on dash, works well,but there again so do the cheaper Oxfords I have past fitted on other bikes. One of the best aids on a bike, & good glove driers if no spares with you. Ps. remember seeing another Velcro type, one just had wrap each around grip & couple into power scource, handy if you don't wish to remove present grips & also remove for the summer?

• Premium Member
I went with the cheapest eBay ones I could find - $8.99 for the pair shipped from China - and gold anodized for a little bling. :) 
[/url]linky

IMG_1018.jpg

FZ-09 bar ends are direct fit and only about $30usd from Yamaha. 

Yup, here in Louisiana a set of FZ09 bar ends is $31.88 total with 10% sales tax.....the highest sales tax in the country. Should be in by Monday. Looks like an easy swap that can be put back stock no problem.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
Yup, here in Louisiana a set of FZ09 bar ends is $31.88 total with 10% sales tax
$14.31 MSRP x 2 = $28.62
$28.62 X 1.1 for tax = $31.48

Your dealer parts guy owes you 40 cents... :)

You'll like the FZ9 bar ends on the FJ. They're heavy enough to significantly mute the handlebar vibrations, and look & fit exactly as you would expect for an OEM Yamaha part. It's a five minute swap, but be aware you'll need a 12mm hex drive to remove the original inserts from the end of the FJ09 bars... I was surprised to find that I didn't have a 12mm in my toolbox, so had to improvise with a bolt a double-nut redneck tool solution.

• 4 months later...

Archived