Thinking about downsizing to a FJ-09

wrench

Hi,  I'm currently in love with my Honda - but she is too big and heavy for me (unless we are moving at anything over a few mph).  But, as I get older, sooner or later I will have to downsize a bit.  I ride with a BMW club, swap lies with Guzzistas, and really enjoy the STOC crowd.  I have a '77 T3 that I want to get back on the road this summer,  and I just put a Shorai battery in my ST1300, replacing the Yuasa AGM.  The ST is my primary ride.  This summer I've been to a Guzzi Rally, an STOC event, and will be going to the RA rally in Pennsylvania in July, as well as our BMW club's weekly rides and other events.

Hopefully I can learn from all you guys about the FJ so I don't end up with a bike that doesn't fit my needs.  I'm the sort of fellow who likes to research something before I jump in - unpleasant surprises are exactly that - and unwelcome to boot.  What am I looking for here?  What are the maintenance 'issues' the FJ is known to have?;  What are the accessories everyone adds?;  What is involved in servicing the bike?*; What aftermarket accessories are available?  I expect to search the threads and toss in my .02, ask questions and enjoy the conversation.

• Premium Member
No easy way to answer that in one post, but search for each of the issues and you will find a lot of useful information.

I too was attracted to the light weight of the FJ-09, and it doesn't disappoint. It's easier to handle in the garage, and makes riding in the twisties a lot of fun. It's big enough for long distance riding (as long as you address the seat)

Common modifications people make are:

1) Seat - I chose the Corbin, but others have had good things to say about the Sargent. There are others too, just look around the site.
2) Mirror Extenders - (stock mirrors don't provide much visibility)
3) Windscreen - stock screen seems to effect a lot of folks due to wind buffeting, I replaced with Madstad, and there are many others that folks have chosen
4) If you end up with a 2015 model, the ECU Flash smooths out a few flaws that Yamaha fixed in the later models
5) Early clutch cables were susceptible to failures, make sure you get one with the new part (designated as -02) or replace yours when you first get the bike
6) Oil plug is the low point of the bike, so many have replaced it with flush versions of the plug to keep from bottoming out and losing all your oil.
7) Suspension - this is a personal preference kind of thing. I wasn't too unhappy with the suspension, but I did go to a racing shop and have them fit me and adjust the suspension. It made a difference, but not a huge one.

I'm sure I've missed some things, but I think this is a good list to start with. Look around the site, and you will find a lot of useful information. and Welcome to the forum!

I'm quickly learning that the FJ-09 (called the MT-09 Tracer in the US, starting with the 2018/19 model, to match its name around the rest of the world) is an excellent, "lightweight", sport-touring bike. If you decide to replace your Honda ST with this, you will NOT be disappointed. At the same time, if you still prefer the feeling & ride of a bigger bike, still want something with a similar load capacity, but is lighter & more powerful, take a look at the Yamaha FJR.

For several years, I've considered a bigger sport-touring bike (even before I purchased my FJ), and I had narrowed my (affordable, as BMW doesn't qualify) choices down to the Honda ST & Kawasaki Concours. However, after reading numerous comparison articles, and watching several comparison videos, I know that, when it's time for me to get a "full size" sport-touring bike, it will be the FJR (provided Yamaha still makes it, or whatever its replacement might be). In the meantime, I'm building up my FJ to be the best sport-touring bike it can be.

~ Enjoy, and rode safe

Hi,

I just sold my 2003 ST and bought a used a 2016  FJ 09 w 3200 miles on the clock about a month ago.  I am still adjusting to the radical change in rides. But at this point have no regrets. Long term I am not sure I'll stay on the 09, however, given other bikes like the Versus 1000 and VStrom 1000.

First, the 09 is a ton of fun to ride. It's fast, responsive and flickable. I also enjoy being able to get it on the center stand without tearing my right arm out of the socket.  It's a joy to move around the garage and manage at low speed in traffic jams and city driving. It makes a wonderful howl as you flick through the gears and  rails through the twisties at about twice whatever the speed limit drops to in a given corner. Yeeooowwww!!

HOWEVER....

It is not a touring bike in the sense the ST is.  I say the 09 provides a rather "unrefined" ride compared to the ST. It shakes, rattles and rolls on the superslab especially. The chain and transmission are noisy and the gearing in 6th has the engine spinning 5k at 70mph (red line is around 10,200).  Given all this, good ear plugs are mandatory and a relaxing ride is not really part of the equation.

Then there is the seat: Many folks here can tell you more about it than I can, but I will say the  "Comfort" seat ain't too.  I tried an airhawk pillow with mediocre results and have found bicycle shorts under my padded leather pants to be tolerable for about  six hours in the chair.  I regularly put in 8-10 hour days on the ST seat which I had slightly modified by "Spencer."

Another difference I'll note is range. My 09 goes about 200 miles for me getting about 50mpg. It's 4.8 gal tank seems a lot smaller than the massive 7.5 gal of the ST.  My ST got about 45 mpg and had an range of  +300 miles. It seems like I think a lot more about fuel on the 09 than I ever did on the ST.  That might be cause I've run out of gas on the 09 very soon after the fuel gage began flashing a warning. The 09 gas gauge is a bit erratic, and not very confidence inducing. Oddly, in flashing state the one of the displays  counts miles being traveled, not miles left before empty. Go figure.

If it is long distance (+300 mile days) you have in mind, be aware that the 09 will require lots of energy and accommodation on your part.  If a rowdy ride on a more "sport" than "touring" bike is what you want you'll right at home in 09 land.

I am 70, 6'1", 205 lbs, and in pretty good physical shape.

Hope this helpd,

Chris

PS I had hoped to ride a Versus 1000 at Americade last week but Kawi did not show up for the demos.   BMW was demoing, but their reliability problems and pricing make them an unattractive option IMHO.

PPS Cycleworld  did a good comparo of the 09 and Versus bout a year ago.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
My experience--

I hated the stock windscreen from day 0. Like Warren Buffett and Jimmy Buffett all wrapped up in one. I replaced it with a tall Madstad, and I'm 80% satisfied. I bought another brand of screen used but haven't yet installed it.

I removed the absurd stock handguards and got some KTMs instead. Big plus, especially for lane splitting; also probably for anyone who parks in tight quarters.

I have bought but not yet installed adjustable passenger pegs, at the request of my occasional passenger, who says that more legroom is needed in the back.

As far as long-distance touring, it can be done. The stock seat works fine for me, but I've never had an actual touring bike so I don't know better. Some vibration comes through the bars and pedals--it's totally tolerable, but I've never had an actual touring bike... Etc.

MPG in mixed use with my heavy throttle hand is 38mpg (US). Much better on a long trip, closer to 48. Tank is 5ish gallons, so range is adequate.

If most of your riding is long freeway segments, or even boring straight country roads, the FJ-09 can certainly do it, but a Versys 650 might be more to the point.

What the FJ-09 is best at...is being really good at almost everything. It's a pretty much perfect commuter, great for bombing around the city, great for twisties, fine for an occasional passenger, great for a solo on-pavement "adventure", luxurious legroom, just-enough tech assist via ABS and TC...

And a motor that is so much fun that you want to use full throttle at all times, but you can't because it is too powerful; wheelies in three gears just cause you feel like it, and when you're done, you can get on with your business, and the cops won't even notice you because you're on a grown-up bike rather than a sporty...

If that last bit about the motor doesn't intrigue you, then skip it and get something less mischievous!

I just did the same thing. Knew I was getting a lighter bike last October and picked the FJ. I wanted a FZ-09 but NEEDED a FJ-09. Sold my 1996 ZX11 Ninja, 620 Lbs. worth and a 2000 ZRX1100 in at around 550 Lbs. Has better legroom than either of the Kawasaki's I had. Much more flickable and willing to turn also. The entry price is hard to resist too. Very happy with my purchase.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
@tktplz, glad you're happy with your FJ-09! 

Welcome to the family.

I just did the same thing. Knew I was getting a lighter bike last October and picked the FJ. I wanted a FZ-09 but NEEDED a FJ-09. Sold my 1996 ZX11 Ninja, 620 Lbs. worth and a 2000 ZRX1100 in at around 550 Lbs. Has better legroom than either of the Kawasaki's I had. Much more flickable and willing to turn also. The entry price is hard to resist too. Very happy with my purchase.

Thanks Alejandro. Yes indeed, very happy! Oh and I'm 59, 6'2" and 212 Lbs. Medium shape! The bike fits me well.

@tktplz , glad you're happy with your FJ-09!  
Welcome to the family.

FJ09_1.jpg

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Depending on where you are from Wrench, you may miss the weather coverage the ST has. I downsized from the FJR. Mid-Atlantic winters can get harsh and I loved the FJR's adjustable windscreen and side coverage. But on the flip side, as I get older I am riding less (at least until retirement). Commuting is 90% of my riding these days. Still, the weight difference was the key factor for me.

FJR saddlebags fit right up (larger lid than the FJ-09's "city bags"). The body of the saddlebags for the FJ-09 and FJR are the same.

The aftermarket is plenty full of parts. Windshields are a popular yet individual fit. Most replace the foot pegs with FJR (or e-bay equivalent) to add some rubber. Some have had issues with the clutch cable. A redesigned replacement is available. Some complain the horn could use some testosterone. Again, the aftermarket has a "blue pill" for what you need. Heated grips are available of course from Yamaha and the aftermarket. We have an "on site" (well, web site) suspension Guru who has any and all upgrades you could want (cue Pattonme theme music). We also have an "on site" vendor who will help prep an FJ for harsher environments of the dirt kind (Higdonion). From the track to road to tour to off-road the FJ-09 may not do well in stock form. However I think the aftermarket has stepped up and made products that can get the job done! Whatever that may be.

There is usually a compromise when changing out bikes. If garage real estate and finances allow, I think most riders would say "get one for each type of riding you do". I do believe you can accessorize an FJ-09 to do whatever you need though. So said compromise should be minimal.

this bike is a Swiss Army Knife... can be found fording creeks in Canada... currently a few memebers are going from Florida to Alaska... quite a few of us have taking the FJ-09 to the track and drag strip... with that being said the forum has been building the "GT" years before Yamaha released one ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 10 months later...

Replaced my ST1100 with the FJ and I’m loving it. Totally different bikes, so you will have to adjust your expectations a bit. Regardless, I’m getting mine farkled the way I want it, and I’m liking it more than the ST, especially the lighter weight and less bulk. 

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

I'm a hair over 5'7 and haven't lowered any bike,  even those taller than the FJ. Inseam might be a better guide. Or bigger heels on the boots :) My inseam is a little under 29. But, I don't feel the need to flat foot bikes while some do. 

Range doesn't bother me for touring since I'm never on much of a schedule and am ready for a stretch when I'm doing tank to tank long days. Bothers me more when on long commutes that I've done 200+ days per year in the past. Detouring to the station and filling up every two days instead of three adds up. Always makes me think of the EV that GM did 20 years ago. When they surveyed the owners for the "best thing about an EV" for most it wasn't emissions, environment, or cheaper fuel -- it was being able to charge at work or home and not having to find and travel to a filling station, wait in line, etc.  

Archived