Tracer 900 GT - UK

Guest yambiker

Guest yambiker
Hi all

Long term lurker, first time poster from the UK

I put a deposit down on the GT in January to replace my 2015 Tracer and on the 1st June I was finally able to pick up

A few hundred miles in and happy to report a massive improvement

Pro's

Improved Comfort - Seat is much better for both rider and pillion. More padding but does make the seat height higher

Screen - Reduced wind noise and works better than the 15'. Also like being able to adjust it one handed on the go as well . However, I am just over 6ft tall and still think a taller screen will suit me better

TFT Screen - Works really well. During the day is white background on black writing and then swaps around when it gets dark. You can change the settings to suit your preference

Heated grips - As per previous model work really well and full customization

Suspension - One of the biggest improvements on the bike. Now fully adjustable front and rear. Although, I currently have not made any changes I can already report that the bike feels more more stable compared to the 15'
and happily absorbs the bumps much better

Longer Swingarm - Didn't know what to expect from this. I was worried that by making it longer it would make the bike less flickable but happy to report that I feel it is an improvement. It has given me much more confidence in the twisties at least

Cruise Control - Works brilliantly. I didn't think i'd use it much but it makes boring motorway easier. Certainly a nice addition for when out on tour

Quick Shifter - My first bike with one and all I'll say is much fun is had with this

Long Mirror Stalks - Nice not having to constantly look at my elbows  grin.png

Smoother - Compared to my 15 plate this is much smoother and no jerkiness felt so far

Con's

Pillion Foot Pegs - They have lowered them to give more room to the pillions but by doing so when riding with the wife on the back she ends up knocking the back of my feet often

All in an all I feel it was a worthy upgrade. I don't know what the prices will be in the US but I can tell you that On The Road price in the UK it cost me £10,491 through my dealer which I think is a couple of hundred quid off what Yamaha are quoting 

PIC

[a href=https://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/45m9]PIC

PIC

PIC

PIC

PIC
[/a]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
Welcome @yambiker! Glad you’re participating, and really appreciate your real-world insights on the differences the upgraded GT brings to the party.

Pretty bike... enjoy!

Congrats on your new bike. I really like the color schem and can't wait till they arrive in the US. Please tell us about the saddle bags(How much you can carry) and if you are planning on adding a rear storage bin too? Thanks

Guest yambiker
The colour scheme is the best one that Yamaha currently offer in my opinion. Love the added metalic effect they have added. I'll get some close up pics to show

The cases have a capacity of 22 litres. Certainly enough room for a trip away no problems. You can't fit a full faced helmet in them though

I wont be adding any rear storage. It is not required for me. I pack light when I travel and find that the panniers and a tank bag are more than enough. Maybe one day I'll feel the need but at the moment no

When I get some spare time I'll fill both the panniers to show you what you could potentially store

Guest yambiker
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. Its great having your comparison since you've owned a '15.
Yeah almost made it to three years together but I just couldn't resist the upgrade. Very glad I did. The bike feels more premium now and when you look at the spec sheet and what you are getting for the money then Yamaha really have hit the nail on the head. It is a winner and can easily see why Yamaha managed to sell nearly 40,000 of them in Europe 
I am sure there will be many GT's on the road soon enough. I haven't seen any yet though and I don't know anybody else who currently owns one

Yeah almost made it to three years together but I just couldn't resist the upgrade. Very glad I did. The bike feels more premium now and when you look at the spec sheet and what you are getting for the money then Yamaha really have hit the nail on the head. It is a winner and can easily see why Yamaha managed to sell nearly 40,000 of them in Europe 
I am sure there will be many GT's on the road soon enough. I haven't seen any yet though and I don't know anybody else who currently owns one
There's a couple other Brit's on the forum that have one. I'm not sure how often they log in though.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
The dealer called me this afternoon and informed me that they just got the GT, unannounced. Last week they had no idea when they would be available and this morning Yamaha dropped one off at their door.

Looking it over front to back and comparing to a '17 FJ a few feet away, it is apparent that Yamaha looked at everything on the FJ and over the past 3 years refined and reshaped and refitted every piece.

Obviously the body work is completely different, to include windscreen and seats but little bits stick out like different control pods on both right and left side, one handed screen adjustment, ABS sensor on different location on the fork, reshaped heel guard on the exhaust etc. Very nice bike!

ABS.jpg

Gauge.jpg

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

Seats.jpg

Tail.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
where are the skittle-colored buttons? Come on Yamaha, we want colors, not just all glossy black festooning the grip.

At least the display has some colors to keep things visually stimulating.

TFT_display.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Greetings from Oz, yambiker, and I join with others in congratulating you on the new GT.   No sign of them Down Under yet..

Would you be good enough to take a quick flick through the Owner's Manual and tell us what it says about chain 'slack', for as you know the recommended figure on earlier bikes was a nonsense and far too tight.   It'd be interesting to many here to know if Yamaha picked-up on this particular point.

Thanks in advance..

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived