Tracer 900 GT - UK

Guest yambiker

• Supporting Member
Now that the Tracer GT is hitting showrooms, I'm really curious to see owners retrofitting parts from the GT to the FJ.  We have some creative people here, I'm sure its going to happen.

I want to see someone get the GT wind screen mount set up on the FJ, the one handed on-the-fly adjustment is VERY nice.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yambiker
Greetings from Oz, yambiker, and I join with others in congratulating you on the new GT.   No sign of them Down Under yet.. 
Would you be good enough to take a quick flick through the Owner's Manual and tell us what it says about chain 'slack', for as you know the recommended figure on earlier bikes was a nonsense and far too tight.   It'd be interesting to many here to know if Yamaha picked-up on this particular point.

Thanks in advance..
Will check the chain slack in the manual for you when I am home

I have a few goodies turning up this week - Radiator Guard and the new Heated Comfort Seat :)

I have a few goodies turning up this week - Radiator Guard and the new Heated Comfort Seat smiley.png
I’ve seen a report that the GT front seat retro fits the FJ09. I would be interested in trying that and possibly buying your old one if you’re swapping to the comfort seat. Where in the UK are you?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Guest yambiker
Greetings from Oz, yambiker, and I join with others in congratulating you on the new GT.   No sign of them Down Under yet.. 
Would you be good enough to take a quick flick through the Owner's Manual and tell us what it says about chain 'slack', for as you know the recommended figure on earlier bikes was a nonsense and far too tight.   It'd be interesting to many here to know if Yamaha picked-up on this particular point.

Thanks in advance..
Hi 
I popped home on my lunch break and this is what it states in the manual:

CLICK ME

Guest yambiker
I have a few goodies turning up this week - Radiator Guard and the new Heated Comfort Seat smiley.png
I’ve seen a report that the GT front seat retro fits the FJ09. I would be interested in trying that and possibly buying your old one if you’re swapping to the comfort seat. Where in the UK are you?
Hi 
I will let you know if I decide to sell the stock seat

I am in the South East

Thanks in advance..
Hi 

CLICK ME

Holy cow, 35 to 45 mm that's a big difference to what's in the previous Tracer manual.  Is there any difference in the chassis between the old and new model? 
CS

Thanks in advance..
Hi 

CLICK ME

Thanks for this, yambiker - interesting!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
@yambiker, thank you for that excellent comparison!

I presume the GT is less wheelie-prone than the '15?

One of my biggest frustrations with my '15 is my limited ability to hold full throttle in 1st and 2nd gears, because of the tendency for the front-end to lift up in the air, even when I'm leaning full forward on the tank. Sure, the TC catches it and puts it back down, but by then I've already backed off.

Does the longer swing-arm mean less wheelies? 

Thanks for any insight.

Oh, also, do you think the suspension changes make the bike a little more suitable for dirt, gravel, or even light off-road? I know they moved the drain plug in mid-'16, but the choppiness of the suspension remained a hindrance even on rough paved roads.

• Supporting Member
@yambiker, thank you for that excellent comparison! 
I presume the GT is less wheelie-prone than the '15?

One of my biggest frustrations with my '15 is my limited ability to hold full throttle in 1st and 2nd gears, because of the tendency for the front-end to lift up in the air, even when I'm leaning full forward on the tank. Sure, the TC catches it and puts it back down, but by then I've already backed off.

If you insist on holding full throttle between 1st and 2nd I would think most bikes would give you fits of frustration with potential wheelies.  Have you considered on maybe only 75% throttle between shifts?

No sense being frustrated with the bike wanting to wheelie when the "fix" is your right wrist.

Hi Yambiker,

I’m a UK member with a new 900 GT .

It arrived late May and I love it, I also have the low seat, but not sure of comfort for all day rides.

I’m not happy with the screen, as wind noise at any height seems much worse than my previous bike {FZ1S with ZG double bubble screen) so will order the MRA touring screen which has just been released.

I’ve also added my Garmin Zumo 395. Power hook up was easy using accessory plugs behind the screen, and ram mount in centre of bars fiits nicely without obscuring the display which I like a lot.

Purchased the SWMoto tank bag which fits better than my Givi and follows the lines of the tank, but is much smaller than the GIVI.

Planning a trip to the Harz region with some mates in September.

Vic

• Premium Member
One of my biggest frustrations with my '15 is my limited ability to hold full throttle in 1st and 2nd gears

If you insist on holding full throttle between 1st and 2nd I would think most bikes would give you fits of frustration with potential wheelies.  Have you considered on maybe only 75% throttle between shifts?

No sense being frustrated with the bike wanting to wheelie when the "fix" is your right wrist.

@betoney, did I say that I hold full throttle BETWEEN 1st and 2nd gear? Have you tried holding full throttle IN 1st gear or IN 2nd gear?

Do you even have an FJ-09?

do-you-even-ride-bro.jpg

• Supporting Member
Do you even have an FJ-09? 

Wait, so being frustrated when a bike wants to wheelie under full throttle in 1st and 2nd gear is specific to the Fj-09?  And here I thought that would happen with most motorcycles.  Silly me.  

Archived