"Best" Mesh Sport-Touring Jacket ???

My search/thread for the "best 4-season gloves" brought several suggestions, as well as several 'jokes' ("no such thing as a 4-season glove, you'll have better luck finding a unicorn", etc), but, in the end, 2 pair were discovered - Held Air-N-Dry, & Held Air Stream II, depending on your location (SF Bay Area for me, thus the Air Stream II). Now comes the next "best" search, this time for a mesh sport-touring/adventure jacket. Again, my "4-season" isn't necessarily the same as others, primarily because I live in Silicon Valley, where our "winter" is primarily like other area's spring/fall). That having been said, read on..........

I'm currently "on the fence", having recently switched from a sport bike (2006 Suzuki SV650S), to a sport-touring bike (FJ-09). For the SV, I wore a great mesh from Cortech (as were my gloves & boots). However, with the change in riding style, not to mention riding position, a "sport bike" jacket (again, as with the boots & gloves) no longer works. I've replaced the Cortech boots with a pair from Forma, and, once they are back in stock, I'll be replacing the Cortech gloves with the aforementioned Held Air Stream II.

Unfortunately...at least so far...finding the "best" 3-4 season mesh sport-touring jacket has been "problematic". A quick "note" - I tend to easily "overheat" (ie. sweat), thus another reason why most people's "3-season" would be my "4-season". Another thing that should help in finding something is that I do NOT ride in the rain...if I happen to get caught in a light drizzle, so be it, but if the forecast and/or Doppler indicates a "reasonable", or higher, possibility of rain, I won't ride. Lastly, I can't afford two "high quality" jackets (such as a 3- season, plus a "winter"), so my only realistic option is to find the "best" 3-season.

I'd prefer an "American fit" over a "European fit", and, for what should be obvious reasons, something designed for an upright riding position, NOT something for a sport-riding position. The Klim Induction & Klim Marrakesh are two I am strongly considering, but I'd like other opportune worth considering. Of my 6 previous bikes, they've all been sport bikes, and cruisers, so my knowledge of sport-touring/adventure equipment is extremely limited (ie. virtually non-existent). So......based on everything mentioned above, any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Would the Induction, the Marrakesh, or something else work "best"?

Rather than revive all the critiques of the search for universal bike kit....I’ve not been lucky enough to find one that does it all.

I use this in summer: full mesh, armoured and I’ve added a full length back protector. I carry a tiny windproof jacket to wear underneath if it gets too breezy or cold.
https://www.getgeared.co.uk/rev-it-eclipse-jacket-black

For all other seasons, this one, with removable liner for colder weather. Rain, freezing temps, does it all.
https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/oxford-montreal-30-waterproof-jacket-blackfluo

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

My Motoport kevlar mesh two piece is closest I've found. Visited their factory, took the tour, and got measured. With the liner system have been comfortable down to 20s plus snow (I did have heated grips but that's it). Not inexpensive but at over 10 years old only recently thinking about replacement. Given how often I discarded and replaced less expensive items made outside of the US feel like it's better value. Some of what I look for in gear: as safe as today's materials allow, custom sizing, washable, repairable and tailorable by seller.

Also like Aerostich products but it's difficult to beat the mesh for conditions I ride in often.

Tourmaster Intake Air 4.0 works pretty well for me.
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll have to try one on, to see how the fit is.  Although, that could be a problem.  The only local retailer that regularly stocked Tourmaster & Cortech...a family-owned/operated business called Road Rider...recently went out of business.  I'll have to check around, as I'm sure there's got to be at least one other local retailer stocking Tourmaster...possibly in the ERasy Bay. 

To BBB, unfortunately, and as I clearly stated, I cannot afford two different jackets, thus, what is typically sold as a "3-season" jacket will have to do.  Besides...and this goes to chitown, as well...I don't live in an area where the temperatures drop into 20s.  Heck, we almost never drop into the 30s...and, on those extremely rare occasions when we do, it's almost always during the coldest parts of the night in the middle of winter.  To give you an idea, our summers have an average high in the upper 80s/low 90s, and an average low in the upper 50s/low 60s.   As for our "winters", if you can even call them that, our highs average in the upper 50s to low 60s, and the average lows are in the low-to-mid 40s.  As such, I would never have any need for anything that might be used in snow...we're lucky if we see snow once every 20 years, and, when we do, not only would it be considered "less than one inch, but, it's completely gone within 2-3 hours of sunrise.

Lastly, to Cruizin, unfortunately, I have never heard of Brosh before.  After checking, I discover they are an Israeli company, and, while the quality might be good, there's no way to verify.  There are no local retailers carrying this brand, so checking fit, as well as quality, before purchasing would be impossible.  For reasons almost anyone would agree with, I think it's best to avoid unknown brands, especially when there's no way to try them on before purchasing.

• Supporting Member
I was considering that jacket myself for a replacement summer jacket.  @panther6834. The nice thing with Tourmaster mesh jackets is they come with zip out liners.

I have a Tourmaster transition jacket for winter and an earlier version of the Tourmaster intake air, (2 or 3?.) for the 3-seasons. It has a quilted thermal liner as well as a waterproof liner that zip out if not needed.  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have always had really good luck with Revit jackets. https://www.revzilla.com/revit-jackets And they are usually pretty true to size. Again, I order from Revzilla because their return policies are so easy.

Speaking of Revzilla, they are having a closeout sale on Alpinestars jackets right now https://www.revzilla.com/alpinestars-jackets#page=1&sort=featured&limit=96&price=&price_min=29&price_max=950&is_new=false&is_sale=true&is_made_in_usa=false&has_video=false&is_holiday=false&is_blemished=false

I agree 1,000% on the "ordering from Revzilla" point made by Cruizin. I've been ordering from them on & off for quite a few years, with quite a bit over the past three months (gotta "upgrade" the FJ, right?). Getting back to the point/question at hand, in a reply to a comment about the Klim Induction jacket (on Revzilla's YouTube channel, no less), someonme suggested...and highly recommended...the Aplinestars Santa Fe Air Drystar jacket. After reading up on it, and watching Revzilla's video, this would be the perfect jacket. Unfortunately, as far as I'm able to tell, it appears as if Alpinestars recently discontinued it. Does anyone happen to have this particular jacket...and, if so, what are your thoughts? Any info will greatly help me determine if it's worth the time/effort in searching out my size (I'm assuming large, although XL might be needed) in the color (light gray/dark gray) I'm interested in. So, anyone out there currently using, or previously had, the Alpinestars Santa Fe Air Drystar jacket...let me know, good, bad, or whatever your thoughts are on it.

I agree 1,000% on the "ordering from Revzilla" point made by Cruizin. I've been ordering from them on & off for quite a few years, with quite a bit over the past three months (gotta "upgrade" the FJ, right?). Getting back to the point/question at hand, in a reply to a comment about the Klim Induction jacket (on Revzilla's YouTube channel, no less), someonme suggested...and highly recommended...the Aplinestars Santa Fe Air Drystar jacket. After reading up on it, and watching Revzilla's video, this would be the perfect jacket. Unfortunately, as far as I'm able to tell, it appears as if Alpinestars recently discontinued it. Does anyone happen to have this particular jacket...and, if so, what are your thoughts? Any info will greatly help me determine if it's worth the time/effort in searching out my size (I'm assuming large, although XL might be needed) in the color (light gray/dark gray) I'm interested in. So, anyone out there currently using, or previously had, the Alpinestars Santa Fe Air Drystar jacket...let me know, good, bad, or whatever your thoughts are on it.

Ha! My good friend has it, loves it. Does everything pretty well. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-santa-fe-air-drystar-jacket

He did say to order one size larger than normal, it runs one size small.

• Premium Member
I have a couple of older mesh jackets with leather on the elbows and shoulders that are much better protection than just mesh and textile. I know Joe Rocket still makes one but there may be others, I just don't see them as much probably because their too cheap to use a bit of leather anymore.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-reactor-30-jacket
BLB

Ha! My good friend has it, loves it. Does everything pretty well. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-santa-fe-air-drystar-jacket

He did say to order one size larger than normal, it runs one size small.
Unfortunately, Alpinestars has discontinued thus jacket, and available sizes (especially in the light/dark gray) are extremely limited. This sucks, as that's the jacket I liked best. I found one sense that has my size, but the seller is charging an outrageous amount for it.

I have a couple of older mesh jackets with leather on the elbows and shoulders that are much better protection than just mesh and textile. I know Joe Rocket still makes one but there may be others, I just don't see them as much probably because their too cheap to use a bit of leather anymore. 
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-reactor-30-jacket
That's one of the jackets I had on my "short list"...when I was riding the SV. It's great if you're rushing a sport bike, in a tucked positron. However, I don't think the jacket's shape is conducive to a fully upright riding position.

This is what I ride in from March until usually late October here in Central Texas. Unfortunately I've lost the zip in liners or I could probably use it year round. I have another textile that I use in the cooler months.

The zipper pull broke and the cuffs and collar are getting pretty sun faded but I use it every day rain or shine so I can't really complain.

Archived