Harley Adventure Motorcycle Coming in 2020.

• Premium Member
The image that comes to mind when I look at it is something that the Terminator would ride......... 
Very Square, straight lines, even the seat doesn't look like it has any curves. Must not be very aerodynamic in the wind.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-30_at_12.27.46_PM.png

I think Robocop was actually part of the designing team.

Dead or alive.....I ain’t going nowhere with that thing.

Let’s go Brandon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
The image that comes to mind when I look at it is something that the Terminator would ride......... 
Very Square, straight lines, even the seat doesn't look like it has any curves. Must not be very aerodynamic in the wind.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-30_at_12.27.46_PM.png

It would take half of this forum to pick this bike up if you tried to actually take this piece of shet offroad. The poor rider would be crushed beneath it. It reminds me of that car from american vacation that the Griswalds wrecked out in the desert.  

griswald.jpg

Ahhh that’s it. The “Harley Truckster”.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member

5334578_C-_DDAC-4_D23-_AFE2-70_E135827_D4_F.jpg

That is actually the first Harley I've seen that doesn't make me roll my eyes and shake my head.
That actually looks pretty nice.  wait...did I actually say that?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Betoney:

You said: That is actually the first Harley I've seen that doesn't make me roll my eyes and shake my head.
That actually looks pretty nice. wait...did I actually say that?  

It scares me that I was thinking the same thing .... The outdated 1950's look was outdated in, well, 1950.

5334578_C-_DDAC-4_D23-_AFE2-70_E135827_D4_F.jpg 

That is actually the first Harley I've seen that doesn't make me roll my eyes and shake my head.
That actually looks pretty nice.  wait...did I actually say that?

I wonder if this will have a belt or chain.  It looks like a belt pulley on the rear wheel but no sign of a belt or chain.

Id like to see HD make this instead. The carducci dual sport uses a sportster vtwin. Its a simple design. Sometimes less is more. 
20180730_210307.jpg

Less is ALWAYS more!   Simplicate and add lightness...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I think Robocop was actually part of the designing team.
I doubt if even the legendary Dark&Stormy would attempt a ride to the Arctic Ocean on that beast!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I doubt if even the legendary Dark&Stormy would attempt a ride to the Arctic Ocean on that beast!
Im sure it would do fine... but could it live up to its name and do a Panamerica trip?  
im surprised to see HD went chaindrive theyve been using beltdrives on everything since 92. Not enough R&D  money to make a shaftdrive like other big adv bikes?

Also the front fender is too short and that radiator would be destroyed by rocks in no time.

• Premium Member
Im sure it would do fine... but could it live up to its name and do a Panamerica trip?  
im surprised to see HD went chaindrive theyve been using beltdrives on everything since 92. Not enough R&D  money to make a shaftdrive like other big adv bikes?

Also the front fender is too short and that radiator would be destroyed by rocks in no time.

I don’t think belts fare well in an off pavement environment.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
The Streetfighter - looks like a cross between a Sportster and a Ducati Monster. That could be very popular. All depends on weight, suspension, and to a lesser extent, power (in this day and age it should be easy to design a motorcycle engine with enough power).

V-rod - Erik Buell said he never used it because the motor was too heavy. That's why he always stuck with the 1200 Sportster motor. The V-rod weighed 675# with 3 gallons of fuel. You didn't cross shop that and a Monster even though that's what Harley wanted.

Build quality - I've got friends that own newer Harleys. Some use them as daily drivers. Another tours all over the country on his. You can't compare build quality today to the early 00's never mind the 90's. Build quality and reliability are so much better today. Smoothness and brakes are so much better today. Harley has been serious about making incremental improvements for over 10 years. Any argument about HD "junk" just weakens the argument not HD.

The Pan America looks like the biggest, heaviest GS-Adventure I've ever seen but without the actual usefulness of an oil tanker sized gas tank. I'll withhold judgment until I see an actual weight, but I can't imagine that going off pavement.

Marketing - I still scratch my head about urban HD stores that only sell lifestyle products and not actual bikes. I realize that I'm not the target audience - except for t-shirts from this site I don't have any Yamaha gear. All of my main riding gear is at least 10 years old. But I don't know who the target audience is. None of the lifestyle stores ever seem to last more than a year or two.

As for their stores, maybe they need to separate traditional HDs and these new bikes. I could certainly see a smaller footprint store in a wealthy urban area selling Streetfighters, LiveWires, and lifestyle and safety gear. No cruisers, touring bikes, or Pan Americas to be found.

Nope not one bit.

• Premium Member

Might not be so bad. The Pan America might be focused on gravel roads not completely roadless spaces.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dirt-roads-and-a-belt-drive.298727/

(I'm not advocating for belt.  I also didn't care about a lack of shaft drive on the FJ.  I'm just saying that the belt concern might be overstated.  A bike for true world traveling might need to be quite a bit simpler than most so-called adventure bikes out there today.  So what's one more step in a world of FI, TC, ABS, CAN bus electronics, etc.?)

I actually really like the looks of the adventure bike. I don't think it's fair to say anything about it being heavy as the weight has not been announced. If it's not underpowered and overweight I would certainly choose one over a GS.

I really like the looks of the others as well. I would love to have a LiveWire for the commute so I could let the FJ become the weekend sport tourer that it deserves to be.

Archived