• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Harley Adventure Motorcycle Coming in 2020.

So, at the risk of getting absolutely barbequed by my fellow forum members, i’ll go out on a limb and say:  
A) I actually like Harley-Davidson (see comments below)

B) I think this direction is wise to try and expand the range of models available that target non-traditional HD buyers. Granted, the ADV bike is a ballsy move, but some of the other proposed models look much more tempting... or at least less controversial.  That 975 StreetFighter looks tempting!

5334578_C-_DDAC-4_D23-_AFE2-70_E135827_D4_F.jpg

By all rights, Buell should have worked. But the HD management and dealer networks never really embraced the idea, and it was a bit of the red-headed stepchild from the very beginning... taking up valuable floor space when the ‘traditional’ big twins were still generating ridiculous profits. This time, HD’s survival really does hinge on the business transformation that is inevitably in its near future. Personally, I wish them well & hope it works out.

Interestingly, several of my ex-roadracing friends - including a couple of really fast guys - are now riding HD big twins for fun. I recently spent a day riding a friend’s new CVO Street Glide with the 117 Milwaukee 8 motor, and I was impressed. Of course, for something like $40k it should be a damn good motorcycle, but that’s price-to-value equation is a different topic. 8 value, liquid cooled, lots of electronic tech... it’s more advanced than you might think.

So, I truly believe HD has the engineering chops to pull this off. It won’t be easy, but it will be fun to watch.

The flaming may now commence... bring it on! smiley.png

That is the bike that Harley needs to focus on. That is the bike that would sell and get Harley back on track. I would probably buy that bike if it had decent suspension and weighed under 550 lbs.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, at the risk of getting absolutely barbequed by my fellow forum members, i’ll go out on a limb and say:  
A) I actually like Harley-Davidson (see comments below)

B) I think this direction is wise to try and expand the range of models available that target non-traditional HD buyers. Granted, the ADV bike is a ballsy move, but some of the other proposed models look much more tempting... or at least less controversial.  That 975 StreetFighter looks tempting!

By all rights, Buell should have worked. But the HD management and dealer networks never really embraced the idea, and it was a bit of the red-headed stepchild from the very beginning... taking up valuable floor space when the ‘traditional’ big twins were still generating ridiculous profits. This time, HD’s survival really does hinge on the business transformation that is inevitably in its near future. Personally, I wish them well & hope it works out.

Interestingly, several of my ex-roadracing friends - including a couple of really fast guys - are now riding HD big twins for fun. I recently spent a day riding a friend’s new CVO Street Glide with the 117 Milwaukee 8 motor, and I was impressed. Of course, for something like $40k it should be a damn good motorcycle, but that’s price-to-value equation is a different topic. 8 value, liquid cooled, lots of electronic tech... it’s more advanced than you might think.

So, I truly believe HD has the engineering chops to pull this off. It won’t be easy, but it will be fun to watch.

The flaming may now commence... bring it on! smiley.png

I have owned two H-D during my lifetime and loved my 2001 FXDXT (so sorry I sold it).  Unfortunately, some of H-D best efforts are not accepted by the typical cruiser crowd and fall by the wayside.  If I ever found a good unmolested example of this bike at a reasonable price, I would actually break my own rule and own 2 bikes at the same time (H-D 1200 XR): 
Harley_XR1200.jpg

They also gave the green light to the Livewire, which will be available as a 2018 model. I also heard they will be producing several smaller electric models too.

Hey, that’s one way to stop them from leaking oil - go electric!

-Skip

• Supporting Member
@trokarr - I am 100 percent in agreement... the flat-track inspired XRs are a work of rolling art.

On a similar note, I vividly remember seeing a new XLCR cafe racer in the late 70’s, and 14 year old me thought it was beautiful. It was a diversion that wasn’t embraced by the HD faithful, but nice ones now are very collectible.

• Premium Member
On one hand, I agree with pcwizz, as "adventure bike" & "Harley Davidson" not only don't belong in the same sentence...they don't even belong in the same paragraph. Harley tried, with the V-Rod, to enter the "sport" segment, and, while it had a huge following overseas, it was never very-well accepted here in the US, thus HD has killed of the V-Rod. The "error" HD made is that, during the V-Rod's period, including the few years leading up to the V-Rod's release, there was no real growth in the sport bike segment. 
At the same time, look what the V-Rod did in terms of bringing people to HD who would have never (previously) considered buying a Harley. While the sport bike segment hasn't been really growing, the adventure bike segment IS. If they take what they learned (good & bad) from the V-Rod, and apply it to the new bike, it could turn into a success. I can understand why HD wanted to "bring over" older short bike riders into the Harley "family", but, what they failed to realize is this - once a sport bike rider, always a sport bike rider. However, adventure/touring bike riders are different...they can be far more willing to consider different bike "types". If Harley wants to survive, they NEED to adapt...but, in "adapting", they need to look at what's truly popular AND growing (adventure/touring), not just what's popular (sport).
Here is what Harley needs to do. They need to completely ignore their core loyal customer base for a while because they already make junky, heavy and slow bikes for those guys.

They need to focus on building something other than a Vtwin. They need their own signature engine that isn't a vtwin. Like a triple or a Transverse four cylinder and put it on a sport frame like the MT-09. Then, they can make an ADV version of that.

Nobody wants a typical Harley vtwin ADV or sportbike. Not the typical Harley owners and not us fans of Japanese bikes.

What killed Harley? Their own advertising killed Harley. After the AMF days, Harley went on that massive campaign in the 80's and 90's and convinced a lot of people that American bikes rule, Jap bikes are junk that break down all the time. Rice bikes, they called em.
Every Harley event you went to they had an old Japanese bike that they would beat with hammers and even torch em while the crowds yelled for more.

When in Reality, Harley engines do not last as long as the Japanese engines. Their bikes are slow in comparison, heavy, clunky, bolts vibrate themselves loose, suspension is a joke, electronics are not good.

They convinced themselves and their customers that they were superior, so R&D went out the window. They brought in Eric Buell, but didn't know how to market his bikes and they tried to sell them to their existing cruiser customers, who scratched their heads and walked away.

They need to have a brand that doesn't even have the word "Harley" in it. And don't let the Harley dealers try to sell these bikes, because the Harley sales and marketing methods do not work for Sport or ADV bikes. I know so many ADV and Sportbike people that would never even set foot on a Harley dealer's lot, simply because of the name and reputation of their bikes and typical riders.

Harley is dying the slow death. Let it die slowly, put a ton of money into a new brand, hire some Japanese designers and launch the new brand via a killer new Sport naked bike with an entirely new engine and price it around $9,000. People will know it was made by Harley, but they won't believe their eyes and if they build it in America they can avoid the tariffs and put some american marketing into a sportbike. "This isn't your father's Harley" would get a lot of attention and people into the showroom.

If not, then Harley will slowly die. Nobody want this ugly heavy ADV joke of a bike. Nobody wants an electric Harley that only has a real world range of 100 miles at highway speed.
And Harley's customers throw a fit whenever they come out with a non typical Cruiser bike.

But, Harley's typical customers are dying off too.

I agree. Times and trends change. H/D needs to realize the folks the currently sell to will not always be around.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Hey, that’s one way to stop them from leaking oil - go electric! 
-Skip
giphy.gif

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Interesting... I'd really like it if HD would join us in the 21st century.
Or even the 20th century...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
That is the bike that Harley needs to focus on. That is the bike that would sell and get Harley back on track. I would probably buy that bike if it had decent suspension and weighed under 550 lbs.
I agree. That could be a platform for an entire range of bikes with broad appeal to multiple buyer personas. Correctly executed, I would be a buyer for that 975 StreetFighter.

I think a big problem for Harley IS their core (aging and dying out) fan base. They, as stated above have tried to branch out and I can tell you from first hand experience that anything that isn't an air cooled, loud galloping V-twin, is snubbed by the standard Harley audience. At least here in the states.
Back in my cruiser phase, I had a '97 Dyna wide glide for a little bit in '98. I didn't keep it for long and actually got a new '99 V-Star 1100 custom to replace it because it just felt slow and junky. Fast forward to '08 and I really digged the Night Rod (like the one below), so I got a slightly used '07. And wow was I shocked at how other "Harley" riders wouldn't even acknowledge you or your bike as a Harley, looking down their noses compared to when I had a "real" Harley. Sadly it's the old and faithful that seems to make Harley scared to change. I applaud them for trying to venture out, they need to to survive. Their core buyer is slowly dying out, and with them so will they if they don't change. This is all just my opinion of course.

3fedf721d3d6ee91d434b7fc3af29c3a.jpg

• Premium Member
I have a Harley Xr1200. It's a fine bike. Handled fine. Handles better now that I have RaceTech fork internals and Showa shocks. Pretty quick, and its a hoot to ride.

Weight? Ever drop a Super Tenere? Not exactly a lightweight. Hang some gear on it.

Eric's Ulysses is still in demand. When they show up on cycle trader unless they are beat to death or ridiculously over priced they are bought up right away.

Good for Harley. Hope it works out for them.

726017.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I recently re-entered the riding scene after a 20 years brake and kept an open mind. One issue I had with the HD brand is that it looks like you must ignore safety in order to ride a Harley. I don't think I've ever seen an HD rider with a full face helmet or long sleeves. I get free riding and all but the brand seem to have a blind spot on safety gear.

Also if anyone has the ability to champion riders issue at the national level it's HD, if they seriously get behind lane splitting laws or 2 wheelers respect by drivers I'll be happy to support them and get onboard the brand. But as it stand the equation seem to be "get this old tech heavy bike because we say it's cool.."

The image that comes to mind when I look at it is something that the Terminator would ride......... 
Very Square, straight lines, even the seat doesn't look like it has any curves. Must not be very aerodynamic in the wind.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-30_at_12.27.46_PM.png

I think Robocop was actually part of the designing team.

Archived