Any need to adjust valves early ? ?

jcg

My bike is new to me. 2015 Fj 09 with 12,500 miles. Appears in great condition and runs great. I have appointment to replace the CCT under a service bulletin. There is no problem at all but the dealer is going to do the CCT anyway. Should I ask him to do the valves, which I have to pay for, or just have them done when owner manual suggests ? ? Your thoughts, please.

• Supporting Member
I am taking mine in on Thursday to get the valves checked and throttle bodies synced, 23,300 miles. The dealer estimated about 4-5 hours for the job, unless you don’t mind paying for 5 hours labor, there is no need to do it with just over 12,000 miles.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I agree with @betoney... no need to check valves at 12k miles. I might get mine done a little early, but not until I get over 20k miles.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I disagree.

Many have checked the valve lash early and found them all to be very tight.

I waited knowing this until 24k miles and found all were extrenely tight. Wish I would have checked them at 12k!!!

I disagree. 

I waited knowing this until 24k miles and found all were extrenely tight. Wish I would have checked them at 12k!!!
What are the consequences of tight valves on the engine?

I disagree. 

What are the consequences of tight valves on the engine?
The exhaust valves can't completely cool because they are not in contact with the cylinder head for a long enough time period. If it is bad enough, they may not completely close resulting in a loss of compression.  
Consequences are increased wear in the valve train. I'll be checking the valves on our FJ09 in the next couple weeks (post AK trip, roughly 18K miles) and when I do I'll be filming for YouTube. Checking the valves is something you can do yourself if your willing to put in the effort.

• 4 weeks later...
I had mine 2015 Leftover checked at about 21,000 miles after reading all the posts. I had 3 tight exhaust and 2 tight intake. While my mechanic said they were not dangerously tight they definitely needed adjustment. His comment was that the CP3 is great engine; but if you have high shift points or tend to run aggressively the valves do have a tendency to tighten early. If you are pretty sedate and/or shift at lower rpm then you are probably safe waiting until manual calls for it.

Since I ride fairly regularly with some ex-racers as well as some other very "accomplished and experienced" riders who have ridden all their lives... I have a tendency to sometimes wind the engine out a bit before shifting. So I am glad I got them adjusted before I damaged anything.

So different from my Super Tenere that didn't need a valve adjustment until almost 84,000 miles. And they were barely out of spec then.

• Supporting Member
I had mine 2015 Leftover checked at about 21,000 miles after reading all the posts. I had 3 tight exhaust and 2 tight intake. While my mechanic said they were not dangerously tight they definitely needed adjustment. His comment was that the CP3 is great engine; but if you have high shift points or tend to run aggressively the valves do have a tendency to tighten early....
This would make the CP3 NOT a great engine. Hopefully Yamaha wasn't really meaning for people to be using shift points noted in the manual. grin.png 

The recommendations in the manual are absolutely ridiculous.

1st - 2nd: 20kmph or 12mph
2nd - 3rd: 30kmph or 19mph
3rd - 4th: 40kmph or 25mph
4th - 5th: 50kmph or 31mph
5th - 6th: 60kmph or 37mph

I hope nobody reads that and actually tries to ride that slow.  >:D

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
It seems that some folks have found tight valves, and others haven't. I don't know that you can (or should) say this is a deal breaker for the CP3 engine, but I do think it warrants changes to the maintenance schedule.

I, for one, will be checking the valves at 20K miles, instead of the recommended 26K. It may be overkill, or it may save my engine, but it seems like a prudent thing to do given the uncertainty about why some folks have experienced this problem, and others haven't.

• Premium Member
Also, this isn't a statistically valid poll, but with just a few folks weighing in so far, it looks like about half the folks have experienced tight valves at the service interval, and the other half have not.

https://fj-09.org/thread/7050/fj09-tight-valves-mile-service

Also, this isn't a statistically valid poll, but with just a few folks weighing in so far, it looks like about half the folks have experienced tight valves at the service interval, and the other half have not. 

I'm interested to see how the poll results turn out, just needs more responses!  
I made it a sticky so hopefully more people will see it.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

I'm interested to see how the poll results turn out, just needs more responses!  
I made it a sticky so hopefully more people will see it.
Thanks, I didn't know you could do that!

Archived