gear indicator

ryan

I am having an issue with my 15' fj 09er
on my display 4th is not always showing up, I do have a physical 4th gear but sometimes it does not show a 4th
sometimes it will do this in 5th too, but primarily it has been in 4th

yes I know, don't look at it, well when it flickers in and out it draws my eye
24k miles on it
pretty new issue, nothing has changed recently parts wise 
I highly doubt its an oil thing, but in less then a thousand miles it will get yet another oil change

on my gs1100e 82 I had a similar issue where it was the contacts on the gear selector sensor which was on the outside of the motor so pretty easy to check, and get gunky from road grime, not sure if the 9er is similar

• Premium Member
Mine recently started doing this too in 4th. The issue goes away after the engine has warmed up a good bit. The sensor, for the gear indicator is down next to the front sprocket behind the cover and seems to work from the inside of the transmission. So, I don't think you can clean the grime off of it and get it to work properly. My bike still has the YES coverage so ill most likely take it by and get them to swap the sensor out.
I believe this is the part: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1rc-82540-00-00/neutral-switch-assy

Let’s go Brandon

happens on my FZ-07 every 7-8k miles... I just pop the sensor out(only held in by 2 bolts) wipe the sensor face off and bolt it back in...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Seems to happen less when I'm on the throttle or over 80mph.
So, when on the FJ are you not on the throttle or over 80 mph? smiley.png 
Asking for a friend...
Have to get up there first right? Highway speed is usually 80-90. I keep it peaceful on the city streets. The Akropovic exhaust does its job in making me heard for at least half a mile away for ol' smoky to hear me and pick me up.

Sensor is starting to go bad. 

Thanks for the video...guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Will go to the hardware store and pick up the screws ahead of time.

screws??? its already held in by 2 bolts that use a 4mm hex key

Meh, forgive me. I meant bolts. And I havent looked at the bike to see what our dealio was. Regardless, I will be looking to clean it up this weekend.

Its really easy to get to... its located literally right below the shift shaft behind the front sprocket cover... you will want to unbolt and slip the top shift rod/lever assembly off the shift shaft to get the front sprocket cover off... to put the rod/lever assembly back in the right spot, you will see a "scored line" across the shift shaft face and a dimple on the rod/lever assembly- align the dimple up with the scored line...
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
Meh, forgive me. I meant bolts. And I havent looked at the bike to see what our dealio was. Regardless, I will be looking to clean it up this weekend.
Its really easy to get to... its located literally right below the shift shaft behind the front sprocket cover... you will want to unbolt and slip the top shift rod/lever assembly off the shift shaft to get the front sprocket cover off... to put the rod/lever assembly back in the right spot, you will see a "scored line" across the shift shaft face and a dimple on the rod/lever assembly- align the dimple up with the scored line...
I always pull the rubber boot back off the top of the rod and unscrew the hex bolt that holds it on. Don't have to mess with lining anything back up.

Let’s go Brandon