How to maintain my Battery during the winter?

DavidS

• Premium Member
I'm about to put my bike up for the winter, and need some assistance with how to safely maintain my battery so it is ready to go in the Spring. Last year, I just hooked up a Battery Tender Junior, but when the Spring came around, the battery was dead. I promptly threw the charger against the wall, and then threw it away, and went and bought a new battery.

My battery was original to my 2015 FJ-09, so it's possible the battery had just lived it's useful life, but before I just do the same thing again (after purchasing a new charger), I thought I would ask what others do, and learn if there is a better (safer) way to keep my battery fresh for Spring riding.

All suggestions and help welcome, I hate electrical stuff......

• Supporting Member
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and connections are tight and plug in your new battery tender. I leave the tender on all winter long and have not had a problem with any of my bikes. You might have had a bad tender or the battery was played out.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and connections are tight and plug in your new battery tender. I leave the tender on all winter long and have not had a problem with any of my bikes. You might have had a bad tender or the battery was played out.

I agree with this, unless the battery is at the end of its life or the charger is faulty, keeping it on a battery tender should be all that is required.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Well I guess it's possible the battery was in poor shape before I put it on the tender last year. I'll try again this year and see what happens.

• Supporting Member
I leave the battery on the bike, but remove the main fuse (one with a rubber strap over it) to disconnect all load from the battery. I have a port on the side of the bike (some have a dongle of sorts) that is connected directly to the battery via a fuse... I then plug my charger/tender (Optimate 3+) to the port on the bike, and voila... maintain/trickle in progress. Original 2014 battery cranking like new. I do not trickle charge/maintain during riding season.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Well I guess it's possible the battery was in poor shape before I put it on the tender last year. I'll try again this year and see what happens.

You also may have had a blown 7.5a fuse on the battery tender pigtail. If that happens, the tender will never keep the battery charged because it’s an incomplete circuit and the charging current never reaches the battery.

Something to keep in mind.

-Skip

• Premium Member
Thanks for all the feedback, I'm going to get another tender and try again this year. Hopefully it will work ok.

If not, I guess I'll have to buy stock in the battery suppliers......

It’s important that you buy an “intelligent” battery tender, rather than a trickle charger. The latter just supplies a small amount of current whether the battery needs it or not, whereas the tender senses the state of the battery and only tops up when required.

I never use a tender when regularly riding the bike, as you may not notice a fault with your battery and charging system if the tender is doing the work for you. Over winter I just attach the tender every two weeks or so, then remove it when the battery is charged. Again, I can then see if the battery has dropped a lot during the interval. I’m still on the OEM battery in my 2015 FJ.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

my garage is unheated so I put all batteries inside in the house and place em on the work bench downstairs- that way they dont get exposed to constant below freezing temps...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

If storage gets below freezing yank the battery and keep in temp controlled area.

My tender (a yuasa) works great. Each of the toys is on it one night for every couple months stored and that's worked fine. But my garage only dips to near-freezing on winter nights.

• Supporting Member
@pcwizz - I had the same thing happen to the battery in my Aprilia last season, and I chalked it up to an end-of-life battery being the root cause. Interestingly, the Battery Tender showed the green light indicating the battery was fully charged, but when I went to try and start the bike it was obvious the battery was done. The same Battery Tender has worked great on the OEM FJ battery (2.5+ years) and on the replacement Aprilia battery, so I’m convinced it was the battery and not the Tender.

• Premium Member
It’s important that you buy an “intelligent” battery tender, rather than a trickle charger. The latter just supplies a small amount of current whether the battery needs it or not, whereas the tender senses the state of the battery and only tops up when required. 
I never use a tender when regularly riding the bike, as you may not notice a fault with your battery and charging system if the tender is doing the work for you. Over winter I just attach the tender every two weeks or so, then remove it when the battery is charged. Again, I can then see if the battery has dropped a lot during the interval. I’m still on the OEM battery in my 2015 FJ.
This is just for when I store the bike for the winter, and I'm not riding it. I usually stop riding mid October and start up again in March/April when the weather gets warmer.  
I have been just plugging it in and leaving it until Spring, would it help if I unplugged it periodically so it isn't connected for 5-6 months? or should it be ok, regardless? 

Archived