What's good and bad

Thinking of getting an fj09 from a dealer, probably a s/h (I have a budget) 2017 with 3 thousand miles on it, as it seems to have a bit of an upgrade with a slipper clutch and extra tcs mode. Before I do, I'd just like to ask from people who will have real world experience. I'm seeing a lot of meh suspension posts. Is this the case with the 2017, or are do all years fall under this?  How good or bad is the stock suspension for a 14stone rider ? ( more a back lanes blaster than touring) Will an ohlins or nitron rear shock have to be a consideration, and are the forks in need of sorting as well. Might not be able to do both as wallet will take a hammering just getting bike. Anything else to consider ? Thanks for any help.

You won't know till you take a test ride...some ppl are happy with the stock suspension... some hated it before they even brought the bike only to resell the bike after buYing some hugh end stuff...some ppl just swapped in new springs/oil in the front fork...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
In my experience, the shock has more shortcomings than the forks. At a bare minimum you should get the correct spring rate for your weight, luggage, passenger etc.
suspension is something I personalize on every bike I own, first and foremost.
I have a riding buddy also with an FJ09, I kept telling him how important good suspension is, he kept telling me I was full of BS... until he rode my bike.
Needless to say afterward, he was gushing about how fast he could corner and how in control he felt riding fast, he then went home and ordered new suspension parts.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

You won't know till you take a test ride...some ppl are happy with the stock suspension... some hated it before they even brought the bike only to resell the bike after buYing some hugh end stuff...some ppl just swapped in new springs/oil in the front fork...

Stock suspension is comparable if not better than every other Japanese sport touring motorcycle.

But I'm not happy with the GT's suspension. I've ordered öhlins set for front and back.

But that's just me because I've also upgraded suspension on BMW 1200GS with wilbers and I know how much different or better the bike was for riding.
I'm guessing with öhlins it will only be even better.

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

Hated it before they bought it...ha ha.  Test rode, but felt so different it's hard to make comparisons, was I riding faster etc. I think I need more time on it, but felt fine to me, and wow, what a lovely engine. The most annoying thing about the bike (as was the triumph tiger 800) was the screen. It just seemed so noisy, but that's a cheapish fix. Going to buy, triumph felt better for a trip, tracer felt more alive. Thanks for all your comments ! Lastly, what weight is stock shock and forks springs suited to ? 

speaking of Wilbers, 10% off till the end of the month and I can offer another 10% off for the denizens of this forum who live in USA.
IMO the best shock of the bunch is the Nitron NTR1/2 followed closely by the K-Tech Razor lineup. The Ohlins is no slouch but the performance/$$ isn't as good.

The GT forks are 'livable' once you adjust springs and throw in a different oil. but the shock is the first thing to fix IMO.
The forks can be fixed for relatively 'small' money if you provide your own labor.

Pattonme. Thanks for suggestions, seems here in uk, Nitron R1 is the most common fit. Could you expand on budget fork fix ? Problem for us is that anything from USA, we get crucified by import tax etc. I was thinking GT, but figure to get fj09, better for my budget, and have the savings put toward suspension next year if need be. If I get nitron and do your front fix, do you think that's a better way to go than GT with its stock suspension ?

I don't ship large assemblies overseas. Not only have I lost a disturbing number of the upgrade kits to the Royal Mail, but the freight for a ready-to-install cartridge is expensive! You'll have to read about the details of the fork mods on my forum board but the 10 second summary is I can send you replacement valve assemblies (same idea as what K-Tech/RaceTech sells) for you/shop to install be it fixing one leg or both.

stock suspension is never the answer. It's a choice of fresh turd vs week old turd. The one may not smell as bad as the other but you still don't want to taste them.

The GT has (AFAIK) the same forks as the 2017+ FZ09 when they switched from 1 active+1 dead leg to both legs active but only at the mid-valve.

Thanks for the straight talk pattonme, quite refreshing. Yes, it's a freaking nightmare getting stuff from USA. If they don't lose it they break it and then your left with their handling fee. And trying to get vat back. I think the only answer is you move to uk ? Thank' s for the great advice.

• Supporting Member

Suspension settings are very subjective will vary greatly depending on the type of riding you do. 

Settings for someone who simply uses their bike for commuting will not work well for someone who is a more aggressive rider.
I was reading through the link you posted and thought the technicians recommendations were "interesting". 

Maximum spring preload and zero rebound damping, then dropping the tire pressure 14psi for "softer bounce", sounds confusing but if your riding experience is improved, thats what is important.  As a more fast, aggressive rider, my settings are very, very different than yours but like I said, its all subjective.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived