Stabilizing Your Fuel

Tis the season of the blinking battery maintainer here in New England.

And for those of us who run our bikes partially on corn juice, the season of stabilized fuel.

Just curious what brew folks are using in their bikes this season. I've tried Seafoam, Stabil and a few others.

Is one brand more effective for you than another in your FJ or Tracer?

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
So, uh... why would you need fuel stabilizer when it’s perfect riding weather?

grin.png
... there's one in every crowd, isn't there?   Keep rubbing it in.  ;) 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
@betoney - I’ve probably played this as far as I should... I’ll be deeply regretting it in July when it’s 105 degrees and 80 percent humidity.

@nhchris - I’ve had great luck with Sta-Bil in small engines that sit up for extended periods of time... my chainsaw, Honda generator, et cetera. I haven’t used it in the FJ, but have to think it would work just fine.

• Supporting Member
@betoney - I’ve probably played this as far as I should... I’ll be deeply regretting it in July when it’s 105 degrees and 80 percent humidity.

No harm in poking a little fun, if you can get out and enjoy a good ride this time of year, more power to you! 

I dont feel too bad, at least I'm not snowed in with the bike in storage for months.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sounds like GA... but we regularly see 90% humidity.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
<< resisting the temptation to make snarky ‘why would you need fuel stabilizer?’ remarks >> 

grin.png
Lolololol. 
They don't understand. They've not faced a West Texas or South Florida summer.  ;-|

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

<< resisting the temptation to make snarky ‘why would you need fuel stabilizer?’ remarks >> 

grin.png
Lolololol. 
They don't understand. They've not faced a West Texas or South Florida summer.  squint.png

Being in Florida, I ride much, much more in the winter than in the summer.

2003 ST1300A,  2017 PCX-150,  2019 Tracer 900 GT

Well guys,

Climate is one consideration, but I'd REALLY like to live in a place where they sell non-Ethanol fuel!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Well guys, 
Climate is one consideration, but I'd REALLY like to live in a place where they sell non-Ethanol fuel!

cb
I've got an ethanol free gas station about 1/2 mile from my house. Great riding here too! Well.. when it isn't bawls cold or thunderstorming... I live in Missouri BTW.

'15 FJ09

SeaFoam in the bikes when they sit. The yard equipment gets it every tank because of the corn. I use it every 3rd gas can refill (about 6 tanks) in my 2 stroke dirt bike. I buy it when it’s get one free and snatch a couple. As other have stated, I use only that because it’s worked so well haven’t needed to try anything else really.

• Supporting Member
Well guys, 

cb
Amen to that!  Not sure if it's a regional thing, but pump gas in my part of the world is universally 10% ethanol blend.  In all fairness, I haven't really noticed any issues with it, but I do use the Sta-Bil in anything that's likely to sit for a couple of months at a time.  

As a side note, oxygenated fuels are really nasty and corrosive.   I carelessly left a quarter tank of oxygenated VP race gas in my 636 track bike, and 60 days later the tank, pump, and injectors were a disaster.  Expensive lesson learned... 

Archived