Madstad windshield

stgolfer

I have about 1800 miles with the new Madstad windshield on my '19 Tracer GT so far and absolutely love it! I'm 6'1" 32" inseam and went with the 26" screen. I can look over it and have absolutely no buffetting at 80mph. It incorporates lower side deflectors and holes to mount a ram ball for a GPS mount above the TFT screen. Yes, it's tall, but it works. 22" is WAY better than stock (i tried it) and 24" would work for most. You DO lose the one hand adjustability on the fly, but the height and angle are easily adjustable in seconds while stopped. If you spend any time on the highway, or behind SUVs or semis, this is your screen.

I'm having trouble posting pictures because of file size. I wish the forum could automatically resize them. They're on the Facebook forum.

Edited by stgolfer
  • Thumbsup 1

2003 ST1300A,  2017 PCX-150,  2019 Tracer 900 GT

• Premium Member

I second your observations on the Madstad screen. I have been using mine for 2-3 years, and it makes all the difference in the world. Couldn't imagine riding without it.....

Yes, that's my bike. The screen doesn't look nearly as large in real life, but it is big. You can get any size screen you want, whether a very small screen, or a big one like mine. At 6'1", I can still see over this and have NO head buffeting at 80mph behind a truck. This is a 26" screen, although they recommend a 22" for my height. I tried that, then went bigger. I will probably also get a small screen to barely cover my GPS, which is mounted above the TFT screen with a ram ball on the Madstad base. The base also includes lower side deflectors.

The Madstad bracket gives up and down adjustment, as well as large adjustment of the tilt. You give up the stock, one handed adjustability on the fly, but it takes 10 seconds to adjust while you're stopped. Having both height and tilt adjustment gives you a huge range of wind in the face, to full protection.

I know this size screen isn't for everybody, but it works for me. A smaller screen should work for just about anybody, with it's almost infinite adjustments in height and tilt.

I am more than happy with it.

https://madstad.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-tracer-900-2019

Edited by stgolfer

For a short, summer shield, I've adapted the stock screen to the Madstad bracket. Using the upper holes as the lowers, I drilled two new holes above to mount it to the bracket. It now just barely covers my GPS and gives nice clean air when I ride, as well as better MPG.

2018-12-12 17.38.35.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

3 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Hmm... curious. Are both adjusters (OE and Madstad) in the highest position? I am 5'-9" and looking at the 20"... but maybe should consider the 22" instead.

The stock adjuster is removed for the Madstad bracket. At 5'9", I would recommend the 22", but that choice is up to you. I think you'd be happy with either. I prefer to err on the tall side for quiet air since I do a lot of highway travelling.

I'm 6'1" and ride with the seat in the upper position for more legroom.

3 hours ago, quaxum said:

@stgolfer thats from the brackets to the shield.

what i mean is from the brackets to the mounting holes on the bike. Does madstad provide separate wellnuts for those?

I don't know the answer to that. You'd have to ask them. My guess would be "no", but I'm not sure. They mounted it at their shop and I wasn't paying that close attention.

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, stgolfer said:

Cockpit view with the stock screen on Madstad bracket.

2018-12-12 17.35.08.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Madstad for my Tracer. How stable is the GPS mounted up there? Any significant vibration or shaking while riding? 

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:37 AM, draco_1967 said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Madstad for my Tracer. How stable is the GPS mounted up there? Any significant vibration or shaking while riding? 

It is very stable. i have my ram x mount there and it holds my samsung s7 very well. v.minimal vibration. I'm sure its the same for the GPS.

71073547_10157027978709405_2889475734131

wHZClSsNYFRB-lPzEulY6lL7xu4RgPu-3OLOzAnm

Edited by quaxum