Madstad windshield

stgolfer

I think each company has a basic design/shape that they have put a lot of work into developing.  However putting that on so many different bikes means that each bike may work better or worse than the bike it was developed for.  MadStad has a philosophy (let air flow underneath the windscreen to alleviate the low pressure bubble that causes buffeting.  Looking at the bottom of the MadStad for the Tracer GT it has a cutout which helps in that purpose so obviously they did work to make sure it performs as expected.  Another factor IMO on the Tracer GT is the bars and hand shields would hit a wide windscreen which affects the shape using the stock mounting.  MadStad puts the windscreen a bit out from stock so they can avoid this issue.  

• Thumbsup 3

• 3 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Installed a Madstad screen on my 2017 FJ-09. The instructions suggested removing the outer layer of the hand guards so the screen wouldn't make contact with them at full lock. I added some spacers to move the screen out about a half an inch to solve that problem since I have some running light on my hand guards and didn't want to remove them. Instead of using the Madstad brace plate I reused my GPS holder plate and needed 4 longer bolts for the spacers. M6 X 35mm 1.0 pitch.

Amazing difference between the stock screen and the Madstad. I went for a test run and it was a joy to be in clean air without the bad noise from buffeting etc. Actually I was a couple of miles from home before I realized my visor was up, something I would have noticed immediately with the stock screen.

First pic shows spacers and replacement bolts added to move screen out from hand guards.

Second pic shows full lock with about 3 mm to spare from screen to handguards.

MadStad.jpg

Handguards.jpg

Madstad2.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, piotrek said:

I painted mine with Plasti Dip some 10" from the bottom to hide the mounting hardware and fill the sides a bit. 😬

madstad_painted.thumb.jpg.184f4cd4c024ec028fe1ab85b064bf7b.jpg

Madstad and you still had to install the wind deflector?

Wind deflectors, Laminar Lips, they help reduce turbulence and lift the air.

If a windshield is good, they make it better.
Also his is shorter than Heli ATP's Madstad.
Great solution if you don't want to look through a tall windshield.

LaminarLIP.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 1
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• 2 months later...

After 1500 miles on my new '2021 Tracer GT 9 with the stock fairing I found it intolerable and ordered a 24" Madstad. Aside from one small niggle I could not be more pleased. Installation went smoothly with everything fitting correctly.

Nothing interferes with the bars, mirrors or signals at full lock.

I set the angle about midway and took a ride. The difference was immediately felt and after another 600 miles or so including a 120 mile blast at an average 85 mph it's just fine. Zero buffeting, visor up on the full coverage up to around 70 mph and the wind noise is way down.

I may play with the adjustment just to see but I'm a happy rider right now.

As for the one small niggle, Madstad shipped 6mm plate mounting bolts and the '21 Tracer takes 5mm. As I had some in the shed it wasn't a big deal. I'll let them know in case it wasn't a packaging error.

Cheers,

Brock

• Thumbsup 1