Madstad windshield

stgolfer

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, fjray said:

I too had a 72 750 triple Kawasaki.  I walked past a 74 KZ900 the other day and noticed it had one disc brake on the front, and a drum brake on the rear.  As did my 750 triple.  And we're complaining about brakes today?  I wouldn't own either one of those today as a bike I expected to ride, safely.

On my H2, I had Dymag (or were they Lester) wheels with dual discs on the front and the rear drum was actually as good as the disc on my FJ09...  Now discs back then were heavier and not as effective as now but certainly were effective enough.  I had Bill Werges' (a well respected Illinois two smoke tuner) expansion chambers and stingers, and his clutch throw-out bearing, Boysen reeds, and well sorted carbs.  I never could tune and sync the ignition and carbs to smooth it out like some apparently were.  My hands would get pins and needles which ran up through my wrists and forearms, not the good sort of vibration.  The CP3 is smooth as glass in comparison (careful TB sync, Grip Puppies and BBs packed solid in the handlebar help but the CP3 IMO really wasn't as bad as some have complained about).

The H2 by today's standards was not all that quick or fast either, and even with massaged forks, oilite bronze swing arm pivot bushings, Fox shocks and as trick of rubber that then could be had back then, the H2 lived up to its moniker as the "Widow Maker".

Still, nostalgia with rose colored glasses and the instilling scent of burned 93 octane and caster bean oil in the morning smells like victory!

• Thumbsup 3

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

<snippage for length not content>

The H2 by today's standards was not all that quick or fast either, and even with massaged forks, oilite bronze swing arm pivot bushings, Fox shocks and as trick of rubber that then could be had back then, the H2 lived up to its moniker as the "Widow Maker".

Still, nostalgia with rose colored glasses and the instilling scent of burned 93 octane and caster bean oil in the morning smells like victory!

Speaking from experience 100LL avgas works pretty well too...really convenient when ya work at an airport.

and I also sometimes tend to forget how terrible the tyres were back in the day.

I got dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century a few years back, had a family member (by marriage) obtain his growing-up “dream bike” a  new 5-year-left-over 2008 YZF-R1.

After a couple familiarization runs, made a thoroughly unsatisfying blast down the road I literally grew up driving (and riding) on 40 years prior. Loved the performance but really struggling to hold my line-was close, but it kept pushing out slightly-and I was getting a little angry with myself and the bike.

On the reverse pass I noted with a glance that I was exiting a relatively short sweeping turn north of 130mph...

Heh.

Nevermind.

On-topic the biggest complaint I have with my Madstad windscreen is that it’s not mounted on an FJR.

Regards;

Mark

• 1 month later...

I installed my Madstad windshield and it was more quiet than the original screen and a large Givi screen.

Still I had some buffeting on my helmet.

Ducking behind the screen did not solve it. So where was this wind coming from?

During driving I tried to block the wind with my hand and I found out the wind was comming underneath the handgrip on my body.

The wind is blowing over the tank and using the shape of the tank as a ramp.

So I extended the Madstad flaps to block the wind. I cut the new flaps out of an old windscreen.

Now there is no more buffeting. 

The new tracer has some air-scoops on the tank. Probably to solve this problem.

Regards Jan-Eric

tracer Madstad.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, Discovertheworld said:

I installed my Madstad windshield and it was more quiet than the original screen and a large Givi screen.

Still I had some buffeting on my helmet.

So I extended the Madstad flaps to block the wind. I cut the new flaps out of an old windscreen.

Now there is no more buffeting. 

Nice job. Can you take a pic of the rear of the flaps so we can see how they are secured?

Here a picture from the back side.

I only used the original bolts. The flaps are bigger and will catch more wind but I think it will be strong enough.

There is a possibility to add a longer screw through the flap into the black cover plate.

I thought of that, but now I think it is not needed.

I did not test it on the German Autobahn yet. (Which I could easily do because Germany is only 4 km from my house in the Netherlands)

madstad flap back.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Horse7 said:

Does the new 2021 tracer 900gt still have a windscreen problem.

Just like any screen on any bike ever made, it will differ greatly from rider to rider, some will hate it and others will have no issues.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Just like any screen on any bike ever made, it will differ greatly from rider to rider, some will hate it and others will have no issues.

How very true!   I owned a few Tracers, latterly the 900 GT, and never found any fault with the screens, though I know that many/ most owners found them wanting to a greater or letter degree.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 3 weeks later...

i had the givi screen and still got buffeting on the highway even on high position. even though mostly out of wind blast i  had a high speed buffeting that could almost blur vision. my nolan helmet has a vent right at the top facing forward, i'm sure different helmets could be different.

so i got the madstad - 24" screen, i am 6' - and much better, and i haven't tried all the permutations i could set it at yet. i think that maybe the big space under the screen is allowing more air behind the screen to break the vacuum that can cause buffeting.

another benefit is that i can see through screen better if i need to see in front of wheel. it does see like a much cruder assembly , obviously just a plate of plexi cut out of a sheet. liked the looks of the givi more, but i don't care about looks that much anymore.

you would think it is a picky complaint, but the biggest downside to these big screens is that since you don't have the wind noise drowning out the straight gear whine of sixth gear at certain rpms ( unfortunately 55 - 65 mph, which is a common speed on our back roads ) , i have to shift down to fifth. it really is an  incredibly loud and annoying sound, and for some reason i can't find any ear plugs that work for my ears.

• Thumbsup 2

I just picked up my 2020 GT yesterday and the first thing I did was make some runs to test the Stock screen and the Puig Racing screen.  I actually settled on the stock screen in the high position with a Puig Wind deflector attached to the top.  No buffeting whatsoever but a fair amount of noise which can be solved with ear plugs.  The puig screen is smooth and no buffeting but a lot of wind noise on the helmet which I suspect is probably from the Mirrors.  I am probably going to end up with a Cal Sci or a madstad though.  Gonna taka a good 200 mile ride today though and see how the stocker with deflector does overall.  I am 5'11" for reference.

By the way...this bike is friggin awesome!

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
On 4/16/2021 at 4:42 AM, harraseeket said:

it does see like a much cruder assembly , obviously just a plate of plexi cut out of a sheet. 

That's true. I don't have experience with the Givi screen, but I previously had the V-Stream which also has a more complex shape. One would think the V-Stream's contoured design derived from wind tunnel testing or something, but after comparing the two I don't think it was. I found that the simple, crude Madstad flows air much more cleanly.  The V-Stream shape seems to be purely cosmetic, or perhaps it was designed for some other bike.

• Thumbsup 1