Do Michelin tires ever go on sale?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, betoney said:

Usually in spring and fall.  I try to keep an eye out for rebates and have posted them on here many times in the past.

I just checked - there are no rebates right now. I'll be watching this spring - RS3s are going to be my next set of tires. 

• Premium Member

From what I can tell, Michelin has the best reputation on motorcycle tires and they are able to charge a premium price.  And I have had some PR's and they are very good.  But I usually get Dunlop RoadSmart 3 because they work just as well for me and are about 20% cheaper.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 1 month later...

Just got a cycle gear magazine ad in they mail.... the have some Michelins "on sale"... still not the best price but I guess it does happen.

PSX_20190221_151723.jpg

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Just got a cycle gear magazine ad in they mail.... the have some Michelins "on sale"... still not the best price but I guess it does happen.

PSX_20190221_151723.jpg

Yikes, $375 for a set of tires!  I'll stick with my sport tires at half that price.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I got R pilots 4 cheaper when 5's came out. Sooo much better than the Dunlops for me. Better grip, better life, and so much better in corners, seem soak up  track lines.    But....All tyres have a date stamp. When I asked, the dates were old stock, 2014, not good. After I declined, they found some 2017, same price. Old tyres go harder just with age, so be careful what you buy. 

And here I am looking at a Dunlop Roadsmart 2 on the rear of my FJ09 with 2330 miles on it and am wondering if I'll get another 1,500 or 1,600 miles out of it. Going on a trip in a month and I'm going for it. I don't know how people get 6 or 7 thousand miles out of rear tires. I'm no Ricky racer knee dragger at all. I'm 60 years old and ride what we call spirited. Most of us are 55 to 70 years old. We ride VMaxes, gen1, and gen2s, Victories, 1 FJ09...ME, 1 FJR. That's about all the bike types.  Just don't ride that hard and never get the mileage. Keep the front at 34-35 and the rear at 37-38. My last 2 bikes, a ZX11 Ninja and a ZRX1100 with ZX11 cams went thru Roadsmart 2s in 3200 miles. the ZX11 was showing cords at 3200 miles. Hoping the lighter weight of the bike and much lower HP will translate into better mileage on sport touring tires. Next set may be Michelin's just to see. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

I just picked up my GT so don't have any input on how long tires last on this bike. I have never gotten more than 4,500 miles out of  a rear tire on my Versys 1000  or the Tiger 1050. The tire that lasted that long was a Roadsmart II that I treated with kid gloves to try and stretch the mileage.

I tried a Pilot Road 3 on the Tiger and a Pilot Road 4 on the Versys. Both had a significant ridge in the center and heavy wear on the edges, in front, from fun in the twisties.  At the end of the tread life it made for interesting transitions in the corners as it fell off the center strip. The rears flat spotted in 3,000 miles but this may have more to do with my right wrist than an issue with the rubber.

I also am an elder statesman and no racer.

• Premium Member

I got about 10K on the original Road Smart stock tires, and replaced them with PR5's. Those have about 11K miles now, and still have plenty of tread.

I rode mostly twisties on the Road Smart tires, but this year I started commuting on my bike, so about 7000 miles on the PR5's  miles have been commuting. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:20 PM, josh said:

DOT are important to make note, but if the tires are stored in a cool dry area out of the sun two year oldish tires are not the end of the world. IMO

And you can tell that how ?  I'm sure the seller will tell you they were stored in a cool dry place and not in some hot storage warehouse 😉 The 4's I was being offered and on general sale were 2014, which is 5 years.  I'm just suggesting a question on the date stamp might be advisable. I did, and got 2017. 

On 2/23/2019 at 5:16 AM, mike said:

I just picked up my GT so don't have any input on how long tires last on this bike. I have never gotten more than 4,500 miles out of  a rear tire on my Versys 1000  or the Tiger 1050. The tire that lasted that long was a Roadsmart II that I treated with kid gloves to try and stretch the mileage.

I tried a Pilot Road 3 on the Tiger and a Pilot Road 4 on the Versys. Both had a significant ridge in the center and heavy wear on the edges, in front, from fun in the twisties.  At the end of the tread life it made for interesting transitions in the corners as it fell off the center strip. The rears flat spotted in 3,000 miles but this may have more to do with my right wrist than an issue with the rubber.

I also am an elder statesman and no racer.

Ha ha. That's the way to do it ! Not sure why anybody would lay down 1000's for a performance bike and ride it sedately to get a few more miles out of tyres though.  'It may have more to do with my right wrist' I guess you've seen the light ! The new 5's are pretty damn good, great grip and good life for a performance tyre. 'I am an elder statesman and no racer'  officer....

2 hours ago, Tripletrouble said:

And you can tell that how ?  I'm sure the seller will tell you they were stored in a cool dry place and not in some hot storage warehouse 😉 The 4's I was being offered and on general sale were 2014, which is 5 years.  I'm just suggesting a question on the date stamp might be advisable. I did, and got 2017. 

Old tires that have been miss treated would be hard

Archived