• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Winter bike projects?

Are you doing anything to your bike this winter? Have it torn down for annual maintenance?  Upgrading parts?

We have noticed a huge decrease in submitted tech tips lately, and this is when people usually do their most work on their bikes, when they cant ride anyways. 

Please consider going to the tech tip section and writing up a DIY while working on your bikes. It will be seen by and help thousands of other Tracer 900 members for years to come. 

Aside from home renos this winter i was planning on doing a bunch of work to the bike. 

- Inspect the clutch after a mechanic commented on how low loud it was.

- change fork oil

- change coolant

- replace brake lines with steel braided brake lines

- get the big gouge I put in my rear wheel last summer repaired and repaint wheels bronze

I dont imagine i'll get all of these things done and right now the house is priority but i do miss working on the bike so ill post updates if i accomplish anything haha

Nothing for the Tracer because I haven't taken delivery yet.

I have been putting a list together though, rad guard and hand warmers first off.

I am planning to install an RK Tek head on my Ktm 250 SX before spring though, and some restoration work on my 81 John Deere snowmobile

• Premium Member

Anyone else feel the need for mirror extenders?  I got some coming and a radiator guard.  Added a Givi frame protection kit first thing and a larger Givi windshield.  I had the front seat worked on ( more foam ) and I think I made it worse.  I could of course put it back the way it was but I think I may just get a Corbin for it.  Then maybe some suspension work and then I think it'd be the perfect bike.  Love the motor!

• Premium Member

Next weekend, at a little over 20K miles, I'm going to pull the tank and do the following:

1. throttle body sync
  2. replace spark plugs
  3. replace air filter
  4. Adjust the valves
  5. Check both brakes
  6. Check both shocks
  7. Change oil and filter
  8. and finally do a thorough check of both tires  - I've put 10K on my Michelin PR5's since late Spring

Hopefully, I'll get her all fixed up before Monday, or I'll have to drive a car to work Monday morning....

• Premium Member
On 1/16/2019 at 4:11 PM, fjray said:

Anyone else feel the need for mirror extenders?  I got some coming and a radiator guard.  Added a Givi frame protection kit first thing and a larger Givi windshield.  I had the front seat worked on ( more foam ) and I think I made it worse.  I could of course put it back the way it was but I think I may just get a Corbin for it.  Then maybe some suspension work and then I think it'd be the perfect bike.  Love the motor!

mirror extenders were one of my first mods, lots of talk back in 2015/2016,  not sure if they fixed this in the newer models....

I got the Corbin seat after my first summer riding, like it a lot! I could never ride that stock seat, especially for more than an hour or so. I opted to just tune the suspension to fit my weight, not perfect, but way better than stock, at a much lower cost.

Upgraded to some Swedish suspension called öhlins. 

It wasn't cheap so I guess it should be good ... :)

ohl01.thumb.jpg.ee5bcc6dda9d599885cb3ddc0f577dfb.jpg

ohl02.thumb.jpg.9ae3d7d9b6d40865601156458914e301.jpg

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, krucymucy said:

Upgraded to some Swedish suspension called öhlins. 

It wasn't cheap so I guess it should be good ... :)

... but worth every penny!  Very nice.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, krucymucy said:

It wasn't cheap so I guess it should be good ...

ohl02.thumb.jpg.9ae3d7d9b6d40865601156458914e301.jpg

Oh yes, it’s very very good.   :)

My 535 is superb, and that looks like a 537... it’s like at least two more better! 

• Supporting Member

Most of my off-season maintenance is finished, I started around Thanksgiving.

Fresh oil and filter

New tires

Greased swingarm and shock linkage bearings

Flushed brake fluid

Suspension serviced - new fluids and seals

My ECU is currently at 2WDW getting unlocked to accept the FTECU Active Tune as well as set to start in A-mode.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived