WTH? Side cover fastener? Turn signal change...

open1mind

So, I am hard at work switching out both footpegs and all 4 turn signals on my new 2019 GT.  The Yamaha Europe LED ones went on smoothly enough for the rear.  The front ones are some extra work because they are mounted to "panel" on the front of the fairing.

WWW.BABBITTSONLINE.COM

Shop online for OEM Cowling parts that fit your 2019 Yamaha TRACER 900 GT (MTT9GTKB), search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

See #40- panel #1 That is the finished panel that is visible with logo, and that you see when viewing the bike from the side

See #42- that is the unfinished interior panel that #40 mounts to

The mystery- there 3 mounting/locating posts on #42 that press into holes on #40- and they are secured with #44.  Strangest set up that I have ever seen.  Instead of a traditional nut, a grommet, etc- they look like lockwashers. Kinda like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-1-2-in-Stainless-Internal-Tooth-Lock-Washer-47598/203577272?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202209750-_-203577272-_-N

I was able to pry the two panels apart after removing some other screws, of course these fasteners went flying everywhere. I did find one and get a reasonable match for it at my local big box store- but it is not exact. I am trying to order new ones from Yamaha now- but WTH?  Is there a trick to removing these? No Threads on the posts etc.  

Has anyone else switched out the front turn signals on a US 2019 GT yet?  I am interested to hear your thoughts.

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, builderbob said:

I used a dental pick to gently pry off those push-retainers.  Same ones used on my FJ-09

Exactly. I bought a pick set to remove those. 

They can bend when removing them, so to put them back on, I press with a small socket, just big enough to go over the center stud, it flattens them back into place. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I just used a screwdriver to pry them open. and push them back the 1st time. The 2nd time I replaced them as they only cost like 3 euros between them. 

When changing the LED indicators I recommend you test them before reassembling the side panel. On mine I replaced them with Yamaha indicators that came with resistors however with all 4  resistors connected the Hazard lights would only blink twice and stop! You would need to wait 5-10 seconds to reset them. Normal left/right signalling worked fine. I later discovered by trial and error that only having 2 resistors connected resolved this issue (and kept the correct flash rate)...Hence me having to reopen the side panel :)

P.s. The only difference as far as I am aware between the EU and US GT versions are that the indicators in the US have 3 wires whilst the EU only use 2 (the 3rd being for the DRL)

Edited by bugie

4 hours ago, betoney said:

Exactly. I bought a pick set to remove those. 

They can bend when removing them, so to put them back on, I press with a small socket, just big enough to go over the center stud, it flattens them back into place. 

+1 ... I do the same...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

16 hours ago, bugie said:

I just used a screwdriver to pry them open. and push them back the 1st time. The 2nd time I replaced them as they only cost like 3 euros between them. 

When changing the LED indicators I recommend you test them before reassembling the side panel. On mine I replaced them with Yamaha indicators that came with resistors however with all 4  resistors connected the Hazard lights would only blink twice and stop! You would need to wait 5-10 seconds to reset them. Normal left/right signalling worked fine. I later discovered by trial and error that only having 2 resistors connected resolved this issue (and kept the correct flash rate)...Hence me having to reopen the side panel :)

P.s. The only difference as far as I am aware between the EU and US GT versions are that the indicators in the US have 3 wires whilst the EU only use 2 (the 3rd being for the DRL)

For once I was ahead of the curve.  Since I have the side panel off waiting for replacement fasteners- I tested the front flashers.  Good thing that I did, and good suggestion on your part. (Again, they are a yamaha accessory that I sourced from a dealer in the UK.  They are not available to US dealers)

Hmm--- the resistors for the back ones worked out great when I did them first.  The flasher rate using the resistors that came with the rear ones must be right on.  Now the front, that is a different story.  I can get all of the functions to work- turn flash, 4 way hazards, and the white position light to stay on full time-- but the flash rate is way too fast. It also poisons the back turn signal and makes it flash too quickly.

Was that you experience?  It is a US bike, so yes, it does have a 3 wire connection.  Does anyone have experience with replacing that resistor with something aftermarket?

thanks

I am using these:

https://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-led-flashers-indicators.html

Mine had the correct flash rate when indicating however when I would turn on the 4 hazard lights it would blink approx. 20 times and then stop. You'd have to wait about 5 seconds, switch off the hazard lights and switch them back on for them to work again. 

As a solution I removed the front resistors and left the back ones connected and this rectified the issue. Correct flash rate was maintained too. I removed the front resistors and left the back connected purely because of ease of access in case they had an issue. Without any resistors connected the flash rate was too fast.

I would try replicating my setup and see if that resolves the issue. Also, make sure that you are not accidentally reversing polarity if you are using bullet connectors.

Edited by bugie

On 1/30/2019 at 2:08 PM, builderbob said:

I used a dental pick to gently pry off those push-retainers.  Same ones used on my FJ-09

I had a tiny flat head screwdriver (like what would be used for eye glasses) and carefully pulled the teeth off each one. I did this for the side panel and the panel under the seat so I could have it painted. I Saved most of them, but didnt want to purchase extra cause they were more than a dollar per washer

• 10 months later...

Well, just got at these (pulling the side covers to vinyl wrap them), and of course while I have a pick set for the life of me I couldn't find any of them.

The two "shallow" ones where easy to pry up with a knife and screwdriver, but the deep one I just worked out by pulling/prying/twisting the inner plastic body out.  

Anyone find a cheaper source of replacement washer things than $3usd each?  Mine should be good for another go, but I'll need to replace them if I remove them again.  Or a good alternative?  

49 minutes ago, skipperT said:

Flatten them out with a hammer before reinstalling. Helps a bit. 
-Skip

Yeah, that's the plan.  I'm sure they'll be fine for the reinstall, but I suspect they won't last multiple reinstalls, and that's likely in their future.

• Thumbsup 1

I had the same experience with all resistors in place. Normal turn blinking was OK,  but all 4 hazard blinkers together got just 2 blinks, that’s all.

So I changed the relais for a special LED relais and got rid of the resistors. They warm up and just are not needed in this setup.

LED relais are easy to get and plug and play with the correct connector.

2 hours ago, Fleng said:

I had the same experience with all resistors in place. Normal turn blinking was OK,  but all 4 hazard blinkers together got just 2 blinks, that’s all.

So I changed the relais for a special LED relais and got rid of the resistors. They warm up and just are not needed in this setup.

LED relais are easy to get and plug and play with the correct connector.

LED relays are really the best way to go as well, as it allows you to reduce the load on the charging system.  The resistors just to increase the power draw to match the incandescent bulbs.  Not that you need it, but less power consumed is always better.

They're super cheap, too, adjustable relays are about $5 on Amazon.

• Thumbsup 2