Heated jacket

I was at the IMS show in Chicago and picked up a heated jacket. It will work two ways, back and chest off a lithium battery or if plugged into the bike the arms heat up also. This is my first foray into heated gear. Does anyone know if the FJ has enough charging power to handle the jacket ok? I currently have nothing else extra on the bike.

• Premium Member

I also run a heated liner (torso and arms) plus gps, no problems.

BTW, Yamaha sells an accessory heated seat with about the same power requirement as my liner + gps.  Just to give some supporting data.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

On 2/19/2019 at 1:20 AM, runnerhiker said:

BTW, Yamaha sells an accessory heated seat with about the same power requirement as my liner + gps.  Just to give some supporting data.

That is some good info right there... now i feel more confident about getting my heated jacket/ gloves.

• Premium Member

I have heated grips (OEM), heated liner (Hotwired) and a heated seat (Corbin).  With all three on, the charging system drops to ~14.1 from ~14.5 at idle.  So if all you have is a jacket, then you should be fine.  This is a GREAT video on checking your battery and charging system.

• Premium Member
On 2/17/2019 at 3:14 PM, rockinsv said:

I was at the IMS show in Chicago and picked up a heated jacket. It will work two ways, back and chest off a lithium battery or if plugged into the bike the arms heat up also. This is my first foray into heated gear. Does anyone know if the FJ has enough charging power to handle the jacket ok? I currently have nothing else extra on the bike.

Which jacket and where are you in the Chicago area?

13 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Which jacket and where are you in the Chicago area?

The jacket is from Mobile Warming. It seemed like a pretty good deal and got to take it on its first run yesterday. I live in Elkhart, IN, a couple hours away from Chicago.

• Premium Member

Your bike has plenty of juice to run your heated gear, unless you have a ton of other electrical devices already installed. You will love the heated gear, very toasty on cold days.

My brother commutes in really cold weather on his bike, crazy cold shet. He swears by this jacket. 

gydeby_gerbing12_v_heated_jacket_liner_b
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Become a winter warrior by slipping a heated liner under your favorite moto jacket. Seven heating zones are sure to keep your core nice and toasty.

• 1 month later...

Just tried to use heated vest with my Tracer GT, plugged it into accessory outlet. No go, on return home found out the fuse was blown. Now, the fuse is 2A, which is ridiculously low, will work up to max 28W. My vest is 50W, so will try 5A fuse, hopefully it will not do any harm.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Luma46 said:

Just tried to use heated vest with my Tracer GT, plugged it into accessory outlet. No go, on return home found out the fuse was blown. Now, the fuse is 2A, which is ridiculously low, will work up to max 28W. My vest is 50W, so will try 5A fuse, hopefully it will not do any harm.

I connected my Keis jacket & insoles directly to the battery via a fused lead supplied with the jacket. I had a pigtail sticking out from under the seat. 

The wiring in the accessory socket is designed to supply phones & satnavs. The wiring might get hot if you stuff 50W through it. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/28/2019 at 2:27 PM, Luma46 said:

My vest is 50W, so will try 5A fuse, hopefully it will not do any harm.

Probably not a good idea. They put a 2amp fuse on that circuit for a reason. You'd be better off running a dedicated fused circuit straight off the battery.

Archived