Building an above the Instruments GPS mount Tracer GT...

motopumps

• Premium Member

Got a bit more done and have mounted the frame on the bike with a VStream Sport Touring Shield.   Please excuse the crappy pix and rough finish on the mount.  Still prototyping.

IMG_8369-X2.jpg

IMG_8370-X2.jpg

IMG_8372-X2.jpg

Very stiff and looks good with proper clearance from shield and enough room for your hand below the bar to adjust the height of the shield.

Still working on the design for the GPS mount that attaches to the cross bar.  It has a standard AMPs bolt pattern so my Zumo 550 cradle will attach.  Going to make it out of Delrin and probably also a version out of 6061 to compare.  Delrin is about half the weight, and strength is not an issue in this application.

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-13%20at%209.16.1

Have made the cross bar mount wider as of this evening. 

Rob

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, Tracerracer said:

link 4 what? 

it is a diy gps mount, works with tomtom+garmin gps, RN57 only.

Since you didn't originally say that, I think he thought it was an off the shelf product available to purchase for our bikes.  I thought the same thing.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

Since you didn't originally say that, I think he thought it was an off the shelf product available to purchase for our bikes.  I thought the same thing.

I did indeed!   He shood'a said... wooda have gained some kudos too for the nice job.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Ok, did a bit more work this weekend with the prototype on the bike, blind rivet nuts for the cross bar and a better finish.  Wired the GPS cradle into one of the spare power sources under the instrument cluster.  Ready for actual testing on the road to check vibrations, ease of windshield adjustment, etc.  Should be able to ride again when it stops snowing mid-week.

Here are a few pix:

IMG_8479-X2.jpg

Installed on bike, no GPS or windshield

IMG_8483-X2.jpg

With GPS mount and cradle installed on cross bar

IMG_8486-X2.jpg

With GPS attached

IMG_8487-X2.jpg

Windshield reinstalled.

IMG_8488-X2.jpg

From the cockpit

IMG_8491-X2.jpg

Still easy to adjust the windshield height.  Nice line-of-sight view of the GPS.  Happy so far.  Will let you all know how it is when riding.

Stay tuned.

Rob

• Thumbsup 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 3:02 AM, tktplz said:

I have this and really like it.

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

This holder can be installed with any windshield. Very easy to fit! | eBay!

Mine is a 2015 FJ09. Don't think it fits the new Tracer or Tracer GT. This has worked well for me over the last year. 

I have this on my FJ as well and love it.  very solid.  I am always open to new farkle though....