Building an above the Instruments GPS mount Tracer GT...

motopumps

• Premium Member

There isn't much out there, especially for the Tracer 900 and GT to mount a GPS (or whatever) above the instruments, that is in your line of sight.  I hate looking down at the handlebars to read the GPS.

After a lot of googling, I decided to build a GPS mount that would suit that need and not interfere with the windshield adjustment, be rigid enough to not shake all over the place and be light.  Tired of accessories that add tons of weight.

This one uses a pretty standard .5 inch cross bar that many GPS holders will clamp to.  I am also working with a local machine shop to build a very nice mount that has standard APMs pattern for either horizontal or vertical mounting.  Exploring having the mount made in 6160 as well as delrin.  

Here are a couple of shots of the first prototype in the white.  The twist creates a lot of rigidity.  Will report back how it is with 9.5 oz  of Zumo 660 hanging on it.

IMG_8315-X3.jpg

IMG_8316-X3.jpg

IMG_8318-X3.jpg

Structure above weighs 6 oz.

It retains the stock rubber well nuts and nylon screws.

Rob

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member

@motopumps  Looks well designed and solid.  Good job.  Question on the .5" cross bar, - what type of connection/adapter connects to a GPS with that dimension?  I have been using a RAM mount on my handlebar for many years but am always looking for options.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

My prototype is at the machine shop right now, but it is a plate with AMPs pattern holes and mounts to the bar with a handle bar like clamp.

Holds the GPS fairly close to the bar for less motion.  Will post pix as soon as I get it back from the machine shop.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this and really like it.

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

This holder can be installed with any windshield. Very easy to fit! | eBay!

Mine is a 2015 FJ09. Don't think it fits the new Tracer or Tracer GT. This has worked well for me over the last year. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, tktplz said:

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Mine is a 2015 FJ09. Don't think it fits the new Tracer or Tracer GT. This has worked well for me over the last year. 

Just ordered this last night. Long wait for it to ship, but looking forward to it.

48 minutes ago, dingophil said:

Just ordered this last night. Long wait for it to ship, but looking forward to it.

It does work as advertised. Little to no vibration and the ball is a hard rubber so the RAM mount stays put. I use a waterproof GPS case with a sun visor on it. Got it here;

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Buy RiderMount Waterproof Sunshade 5" GPS Satnav Case with RAM Type 1" Ball for Garmin Nuvi Tomtom Go Start 5 inch: Vehicle Mounts - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible...

Tried to post a pic but it's too big. Not into getting the software to shrink pix. download, setup, blah, blah, blah. Have ridden in sprinkles so far to test waterproofness. No downpours yet. I usually put the GPS, Radar Detector away if and that's if we decide to ride thru a downpour or thunderstorm. 

Edited by tktplz
  • Thanks 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, tktplz said:

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

I have this one too. Installed but didn't have the mount for the phone until today. Taking it a step at a time to see/hear what works best. I have my own issues. I'll start another thread.

New member, first post.  My new GT sits in my frigid garage.  So far, the only thing other than weather that I haven't resolved to my liking is the GPS mount.  @Motopumps, your prototype is really intriguing.  Look forward to seeing how your design evolves.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, motopumps said:

There isn't much out there, especially for the Tracer 900 and GT to mount a GPS (or whatever) above the instruments, that is in your line of sight.  I hate looking down at the handlebars to read the GPS.

After a lot of googling, I decided to build a GPS mount that would suit that need and not interfere with the windshield adjustment, be rigid enough to not shake all over the place and be light.  Tired of accessories that add tons of weight.

This one uses a pretty standard .5 inch cross bar that many GPS holders will clamp to.  I am also working with a local machine shop to build a very nice mount that has standard APMs pattern for either horizontal or vertical mounting.  Exploring having the mount made in 6160 as well as delrin.  

Here are a couple of shots of the first prototype in the white.  The twist creates a lot of rigidity.  Will report back how it is with 9.5 oz  of Zumo 660 hanging on it.

IMG_8315-X3.jpg

IMG_8316-X3.jpg

IMG_8318-X3.jpg

Structure above weighs 6 oz.

It retains the stock rubber well nuts and nylon screws.

Rob

Great job on this, rob. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up! 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Whereas I have a 15, I have a Heads-Up mount for 1" RAM balls that can handle a 3 devices (i.e., Radar Detector, GPS and Cell) at the same time with either my short, medium and barn door shield by just flipping the L-brackets.  I prefer the cell down on the Triple-clamp on an X-mount, powered by its own remote 5V power supply and use the OEM left 12V cig socket for the GPS and a hard-wired the Radar detector up top but also have the dual 2.1A USB with volt meter installed on the right for whatever.  Lower bars with more sweep and drop, and highway pegs and twin LED driving lights mounted to the Givi case guards, Shad SH36 panniers and their SH46 top case plus a 40L dry bag on the pillion, SW-Motech Engage tank bag, and I'm a Fastest Red Continental Frigate! 

20170505_183841.jpg

20170505_183529.jpg

20170512_180034.jpg

20170512_180300.jpg

20170512_180252.jpg

20170512_180231.jpg

20170512_180220.jpg

20170512_180119.jpg

20170512_180107.jpg

20170512_180004.jpg