Mounting lights between the forks on a 2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member

I'm looking to add some additional lighting to my 2015 FJ-09, and I have some 12v lights I bought a long time ago, but never used. After looking for a good mounting place, I think the easiest mounting solution is going to be towards the top of the gold forks. I'm thinking about getting a clamp for each fork (with a rubber pad underneath to help protect the fork), and mounting a flat piece of metal to span the gap between the two forks. I can then drill a hole in the  metal, and mount the lights to that flat metal piece. 

Before I go buy anything and waste my time, has anyone done anything like this? I don't want to damage the forks, and if someone has a better method, I'm interested in hearing about it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

• Supporting Member

@DavidS - Not wanting to state the obvious, but be VERY careful about clearances when you start mounting anything to the fork above the fender.  There’s more suspension travel in the fork than it might look like at first glance, so just make sure everything clears when the forks are completely bottomed out.  

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you come up with.  

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member

+1 on what texscottyd said.  I got my lights and brackets from RigidIndustries.com.  Also spanned the two brackets with an aluminum flat bar and mounted the light in the center.  They're not inexpensive, but I've used Rigid LEDs on my other bikes and my ATV and have a lotta faith in their performance under adverse conditions.  As with anything, YMMV. 

SR-Q Pro.1.jpeg

SR-Q Pro.2.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

On 3/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, DavidS said:

Wow, those look like exactly what I need, but they don't ship to the US!

Bummer.......

maybe this??? 

s-l1000.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Led Fog Light for the MT-09 Tracer that turns when turning! 1 x 36W Cree Waterproof Flood and Spot Led bar (half led flood half spot). The light is mounted with a special bracket on the forks and it...

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Not to state the obvious, but I see a lot of bolts and push pins under there that could be used as mounting points.  Use what's there and keep it simple.  No need to add more weight and spend more money.   Racer

• 1 month later...

I use that same cheap light as well. Must say it's the best ten bucks spent on the bike. As mentioned above there are some mounting points on the lower fork clamps but some spacers of differing lengths are required. No clearance issues.

20190413_230806_HDR.jpg

20190413_230847_HDR.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, rustyshackles said:

I’m happy with this

Fog_Light_Bracket__1536929222_318.jpg
WWW.COSMO-ACCESSORIES.COM

Headlight

I have been looking at this bar.  If you have time can you kindly post a pic of what it looks like on your bike.  thanks

• Supporting Member

...my kind of fix!  ...thanks for the links.  I already have an LED (v similar), but the clamps are exactly what I need.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

11 hours ago, knyte said:

...my kind of fix!  ...thanks for the links.  I already have an LED (v similar), but the clamps are exactly what I need.

I'm really happy with the setup.  I've used all sorts of similar light bars as even the dirt cheap ones work great on every bike I've owned for years.  Particularly with flood pattern lights, they're fantastic for getting broad, close illumination: excellent for seeing where your wheels are going in the dark when turning.  

You can spend a lot of money on it, but there's not really a good reason to.  The really cheap ones work just as well. 

• Thumbsup 1