First ride - trany whine, GPS.

Luma46

So it finally warmed up to +10C, sunny skies and in spite of snow along the roads, I couldn't  wait any longer. Did my first 160 kms on my brand new GT. Engine and handling great, no need to elaborate, everything works as it should - almost.

In 6th gear under throttle there is an audible whine, something like turbine,  coming from what I assume is transmission. It starts around 70 km/h and disappears just before 120 km/h. It disappears as well on deceleration at any speed. It is not there in any other gear under any conditions. Any comments on that?

Weird thing happened to my old faithful Garmin Oregon 300 GPS, I have been using it on different bikes for at least 10 years. Have it in RAM holder on handlebar, just left of the center, about half foot away from bike's display. Batteries charged, perfect signal. Start up the bike and ride away and signal disappears, says no sattelites. Reset the GPS, all fine,  start riding, satellites gone. So I take the GPS off the holder, engine running and at distance over foot from bikes display it stars working again. There is clearly some interference coming from somewhere (speedometer display?) that is imobilizing the GPS. Will try some different location/position,  but this is disappointing. Anyone experienced something like that?

Not sure on that Luma, I have a 2015 FJ and my GPS rides right over the display, which of course is different from yours but it works perfectly.  Tried to load a pic but it's too big, oh well.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

My two cents-worth - the whine is likely from an overtight chain, a very common complaint on GEN 1 machines arising from the incorrect factory setting and spec on 'slack'.   Simple remedy is to give about an inch/ 25 - 30mm slack on the chain.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 minute ago, wordsmith said:

My two cents-worth - the whine is likely from an overtight chain, a very common complaint on GEN 1 machines arising from the incorrect factory setting and spec on 'slack'.   Simple remedy is to give about an inch/ 25 - 30mm slack on the chain.

Yuppers didn't remember that. Mine was already adjusted right when I bought it. 

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Luma46 said:

In 6th gear under throttle there is an audible whine, something like turbine,  coming from what I assume is transmission. It starts around 70 km/h and disappears just before 120 km/h. It disappears as well on deceleration at any speed. It is not there in any other gear under any conditions. Any comments on that?

I think the bike is protesting... 70km/h is only about 40mph, - drop down 3 gears and let her rev a little bit.  😎

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, Luma46 said:

So it finally warmed up to +10C, sunny skies and in spite of snow along the roads, I couldn't  wait any longer. Did my first 160 kms on my brand new GT. Engine and handling great, no need to elaborate, everything works as it should - almost.

Weird thing happened to my old faithful Garmin Oregon 300 GPS, I have been using it on different bikes for at least 10 years. Have it in RAM holder on handlebar, just left of the center, about half foot away from bike's display. Batteries charged, perfect signal. Start up the bike and ride away and signal disappears, says no sattelites. Reset the GPS, all fine,  start riding, satellites gone. So I take the GPS off the holder, engine running and at distance over foot from bikes display it stars working again. There is clearly some interference coming from somewhere (speedometer display?) that is imobilizing the GPS. Will try some different location/position,  but this is disappointing. Anyone experienced something like that?

No need to worry, the tranny whine in 6th  is normal. My GT does it, and I run my chain on the loose side of the range. I've heard it in many of the review videos on you tube as well.

Someone here said that the third and sixth gears in the trans are straight cut and that is what causes the whine.

My FJ whines in 3rd and 6th gear. I often ride in 5th to avoid the noise.

cb

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

21 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Chain is OK, 40 mm slack.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, betoney said:

I think the bike is protesting... 70km/h is only about 40mph, - drop down 3 gears and let her rev a little bit.  😎

Yes, I normally do that, at 70 I am in 4th. I just wanted to indicate the range of whine in 6th...

19 hours ago, nhchris said:

Someone here said that the third and sixth gears in the trans are straight cut and that is what causes the whine.

My FJ whines in 3rd and 6th gear. I often ride in 5th to avoid the noise.

cb

Now that you mention it, there is some whine in 3rd, but much more in 6th. The straight cut gears could be the culprits...

The whine could also be due to the rubber noise damping ring on the front sprocket breaking in since it's new.. But someone with better hearing than me probably could confirm this if they are using a plain jane front sprocket... I am using a plain jane front sprocket to let me feel feedback of the chain running...

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

The whine could also be due to the rubber noise damping ring on the front sprocket breaking in since it's new.. But someone with better hearing than me probably could confirm this if they are using a plain jane front sprocket... I am using a plain jane front sprocket to let me feel feedback of the chain running...

My take on this is that if the whine was chain/sprocket related,  it would be the same at comparable speed, no matter what gear. That doesn't seem to be the case.

• Thumbsup 1

On my FJ the whine is clearly related to the gear I am using. And 3rd and 6th WHINE!   All others gears, no whine.

I run the chain at 30mm and bike has only 7.3k miles on the sprockets. It is NOT coming from the chain system.

The whine is at a frequency that really penetrates my helmet and seems to be where my hearing is very sensitive.  I use earplugs most of the time.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

A ball gag should reduce tranny whine ;) 

With my normal hearing protection there's nothing so loud as to annoy or cause me any mechanical concern. The clutch basket noise when there's Jersey barrier/k rail/wall immediately to my left is more noticeable than the normal sounds of the bike at cruise. 

• Haha 1