First ride - trany whine, GPS.

Luma46

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, chitown said:

A ball gag should reduce tranny whine ;)

I’m glad someone else went there first, since my inner 12 year old has been snickering ever since I first saw the thread title.   

But in the intended spirit of this thread, it does seem like the FJ is just a mechanically ‘busy’ motorcycle, with an assortment of audio sensations.   I always ride with earplugs, and use a shorty windscreen, so while I haven’t specifically noticed a gear whine in 3rd and/or 6th, the straight-cut gears sounds like a legitimate explanation.  Unless it’s excessive or gets worse, I wouldn’t be too concerned about it. 

If you go from riding fully faired bikes to a rather naked machine I would imagine that you might hear more mechanical music than you are used to.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I noticed today that there is a noticeably louder high pitched gear whine in third and sixth gears in my new GT. I only have 1100 miles on the bike so I don't know if it will moderate with use. I doesn't bother me as there are many different noises inherent in any motorcycle. 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, mike said:

I noticed today that there is a noticeably louder high pitched gear whine in third and sixth gears in my new GT.

I dont know how riders can hear the engine in 6th gear, by the time I get to 6th gear I'm at 70-75+mph and long past the point of hearing anything but wind.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

19 hours ago, betoney said:

I dont know how riders can hear the engine in 6th gear, by the time I get to 6th gear I'm at 70-75+mph and long past the point of hearing anything but wind.

Same. I definitely hear it in 3rd, but I’ve never heard it in 6th. I don’t go past 4th unless I’m on the freeway. The bike is just way too happy at higher rpms to need 5th or 6th in town or in the mountains. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, angrygirafe said:

Same. I definitely hear it in 3rd, but I’ve never heard it in 6th. I don’t go past 4th unless I’m on the freeway. The bike is just way too happy at higher rpms to need 5th or 6th in town or in the mountains. 

Amen, Brother!  👍

• Thumbsup 1

My tracer GT has the whine too i find it awesome especially with the QS change from gear 5 to 6!

See the below video of the MT09SP, Even though its not a GT, its the same CP3 engine. I think you can hear very clearly the engine while at gear 6 at around the 19min mark.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, johnmark101 said:

If you go from riding fully faired bikes to a rather naked machine I would imagine that you might hear more mechanical music than you are used to.  

I owned the XSR900 before my GT. It's the same CP3 Yamaha engine. I could still hear the XSR900 whine in 6th gear.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:37 AM, betoney said:

If you can hear a lot of wind at 70+ you need to protect your hearing. I'm just saying it, so you can go free from getting tinnitus.

I scored me some tinnitus, and I'm not a concert goer. I think it comes from riding without earplugs. Now I will always have that high pitched ringing in my ears and it sucks!

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, andersh said:

If you can hear a lot of wind at 70+ you need to protect your hearing. I'm just saying it, so you can go free from getting tinnitus.

I scored me some tinnitus, and I'm not a concert goer. I think it comes from riding without earplugs. Now I will always have that high pitched ringing in my ears and it sucks!

I agree with you and use ear plugs every time I ride. 

• Thumbsup 3

17 hours ago, Luma46 said:

I am pleased to report that after first ~700 kms the trany whine is substantially reduced. Hope that with further mileage it will get even better if not completely eliminated. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much about it being completely eliminated. I'm at 41k miles. Still got the whine, but if you imagine it's the bike squealing with joy, it's not so bad.

I never noticed a whine until I read this thread. Now when I ride that's all I can hear is that whine. Thanks a lot. 

Of course, it could also be due to that Madstad windshield I just installed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1