Sat Nav mount sorted

quetech

Fabricated a new stainless steel bracket to replace the screen mounting bracket and modified plastic screen mounting .

Screen height adjustment which I don’t use is now done by just sliding screen up and down, I had to remove the locking mechanism to get Sat Nav in .

I replaced one of the orings in the slider mechanism so it is much tighter and will stay were you set it.

GPS is much better above speedo especially with my ageing vision.

I bought a new plastic bracket to use in case it all went wrong but it’s worked out really well.

see link below for more p

6fV8ZhZzWP-zUZmV38amBIkCngdypKFeE9ozSov-
PHOTOS.APP.GOO.GL

6 new photos added to shared album

hoto 

E1060676-B88A-4375-B881-F34A52D43283.jpeg

Edited by quetech
Correction
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

No it will still adjust you just slide it up and down no locking mechanism.

I changed one of the o rings in the friction part of the mechanism so it’s much stiffer and will stay where you put it.

personally I kept the mechanism in one position all the time anyway.

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for the added clock at the left of the dash? I did notice it was set 1 hour ahead of the factory clock.

The clock is so I can easily tell the time, I find the onboard  clock extremely difficult to read as it’s rather small, It’s a shame Yamaha could not have supplied a better display setup like the BMW or Triumph but it’s all down to price at the end of the day.

10 years ago I could probably have read it ok but I now need glasses for reading close up, this was also one of the reasons I moved the sat nav from the bars, the time difference is just Because I have not reset the main display to BST

Regarding the mod it was not difficult if you can fabricate in steel.

I used stainless 3 mm for strength and so I could tap holes for the screen mountings.

You could probably do it by modifying the original yamaha steel bracket with a welded or bolted on extension, but I just chose to replace it with a custom bracket.

It did take quite a few hours by the time  I measured things up and fabricated the bracket with repeated trial fitting.

I also bought a new plastic screen bracket part 4 in the attached link in case it did not work and had to revert back to original setup, this had to be cut to allow the sat nav to sit neatly above the main display without sticking out.

If anybody is needing more info feel free to get in touch

The plastic screen bracket is a ridiculous price for what it is but what can you do.

Edited by quetech
Correction
  • Thumbsup 1

Well after my first ltrip  with the sat nav mounted above the display I have discovered a problem.

The tracer display is interfering with the sat nav and causing it to lose the signal.

I have been experimenting with some aluminium foil shielding and raised the gps a bit with some promising results.

I noticed that even with the satnav on the handlebars it is still affected by the tracer display but not to the same degree.

I have a Garmin 346, not sure if other units would be affected the same way.

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, quetech said:

Well after my first ltrip  with the sat nav mounted above the display I have discovered a problem.

The tracer display is interfering with the sat nav and causing it to lose the signal.

I have been experimenting with some aluminium foil shielding and raised the gps a bit with some promising results.

I noticed that even with the satnav on the handlebars it is still affected by the tracer display but not to the same degree.

I have a Garmin 346, not sure if other units would be affected the same way.

I have used the Garmin Nuvi 50 and 55 as well as the Drive 51 over the past 9 years on different bikes and have never had interference from the display.  What bike do you own, FJ, Tracer or GT with the TFT screen?  

Is your GPS not connecting to a satellite or losing DC power?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have the tracer GT with the electronic dash see my photo in previous post.

I have also had a sat nav for several years with no issues but the dash on the GT is definitely interfering with it.

If I watch the satellite signal strength with the bike electrics switched of I have a nice strong signals, then by just switching on the electrics and not starting the bike I can see the signals from the satellites dropping off.

As Imove the sat nav away from the dash  the satellite signals return and then disappear as Imove it back.

I have been shielding the satnav using some aluminium foil tape and moved the gps away a bit and I am now managing to get it showing reasonable  satellite signals.

I had a garmin 550 which I mounted on the tracer and it was playing up so I assumed it had finally  given up so I purchased a new garmin zumo 346, but it looks like the issue was the GT dash.

The 346 would work if mounted on the handlebars but it is still affected when you look at the satellite signal levels.

• Supporting Member

I’m not sure if the Zumo interface is the same as the Nuvi, But on the main menu screen in the top left corner there is a signal level indicator, press and hold that for at least five seconds and that should bring you up to the satellite screen that shows you how many satellites your device is connected to. 

It would be interesting to see what happens if you hold the GPS and walk away from the bike out into the driveway and stand there for a minute to see your satellite connection. When they get full connectivity your GPS accuracy should be around 10 to 12 feet.   I would keep it on that screen and slowly walk back towards the bike with the key still on and see if your number of satellites drop or your accuracy range drops. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yes it’s the satellite information page on the gps that I have been using and yes the satellites drop of in signal strength and number as you get near the tracer dash. 

The dash must be generating a significant amount of electromagnetic energy.

I removed the dash and wrapped it in aluminium tape then black tape so it looked ok, then moved the gps so it was sitting a bit higher and further forward on the bike.  A lot of the interference seems to emanate from the front of the dash so moving it towards the windshield helped a bit.

I now seem to have adequate satellite reception but I have still to take the bike out for a run, I will report back on how well it has worked.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Test ride today and sat nav was spot on the whole time, watched the satellite strength display during the ride and I always maintained a healthy signal.

Looking into electromagnetic shielding materials it seems copper is the best choice so I have ordered a roll of copper tape to play with, looked at the RFID material and I think it could be a good option when you need flexibility.

• Thumbsup 3

Sounds like a homemade Faraday shield. It might even work better if you ground it.

How much heat does the dash generate, and do you need to exercise caution to avoid causing it to overheat?

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.