The how was your commute thread.

• Premium Member

Not sure how you guys commute in that crap. Went to sf last week for my sons graduation from sf state. Almost hit twice. Took over an hour to go 2.7 miles from the wharf to Oracle field.  Brutal. 

I commute on mine in Sacramento. That's aggravating enough.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, fr8dog said:

Not sure how you guys commute in that crap. Went to sf last week for my sons graduation from sf state. Almost hit twice. Took over an hour to go 2.7 miles from the wharf to Oracle field.  Brutal. 

I commute on mine in Sacramento. That's aggravating enough.

I too was in that area a few days ago and IT SUCKED!   I came down the East side of the bay on 680 and ended up in Santa Cruz and then took 280 North through the city and across the Golden Gate bridge.  Having all of those highways merge into one area downtown and then to go stoplight to stoplight for miles through 2 lane traffic which is at a standstill due to construction is asinine- Absolutely horrible!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Riding home yesterday I got to educate a cager on proper merging. I was cruising along in the left lane in the interstate with a semi in the center lane a couple of car lengths ahead of me. I was gaining on the truck, but not flying past him because we were coming into a heavily patrolled section of road. Cars were merging from an on-ramp, and a minivan decided to merge immediately into my lane without looking. Fortunately I saw that this was likely to happen, so I was already decelerating. When she blindly merged into my lane I gave her a couple short taps from my horn, which is definitely not stock. She immediately thought she had cut off someone in an old Buick, not a motorcycle. When she glanced over her shoulder and saw me she clearly mouthed “Oh $h!t” and proceeded to swerve back and forth like a fool. It was pretty apparent by her behavior that she has been on a motorcycle and knew that she had done something incredibly stupid. Hopefully she learned a lesson to look, not just listen for motorcycles. Loud pipes don’t save lives, conscious and considerate driving does. 

• Thumbsup 3
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

The last two times there has been a change of rain in the morning I've decided not to put in the rain gear and both times got caught in a downpour and arrived to work soaked. 

This morning it was raining when I looked outside but by the time I put my gear and rain suit on and got out the door it has stopped and was dry all the way to work. 

Just my luck.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

The only part of my gear that isn’t waterproof (Goretex)  are my gloves. If I’m going to ride for a long time in rain, I put on my Aerostich triple digit rain covers. Otherwise I’m lucky that I don’t have to worry about rain gear. 

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to work and got off the bike to unlock the gate and smelled something burning.

Didn't smell like oil. Didn't smell like coolant. Nothing was smoking. 

Rode over to the shop and looked down at the exhaust and find the burnt remains of a snake tucked into where the pipes come together at the merge collector.

I hope he enjoyed his ride before he burnt up.

• Haha 4

surprisingly my commute was pretty quiet yesterday.  was on 285 loop in Atlanta at 3pm and didn't have any serious issues.  my issue came Sunday evening returning for the parts store, and a little silver honda merged over into my lane.  Silver lining, the guy saw me last minute, swerved back into his lane, and immediately started waiving apologies...so there are some decent human being left, just not many... I had to have been in his blind spot moving up as he wasn't on his phone that I could tell.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

The short version...got rear-ended on my little V-Strom at a stoplight on May 29.  Inattentive old man in a mini-van.  Smacked me hard.  Jeep Cherokee in front of me (also a rider) pulled ahead at the last nanosecond and prevented me from getting pinned between him and the old man behind me.  

Don't remember the impact, just the immediate seconds after impact.  ATGATT saved me again.  Left shoulder muscles are almost 100% after being strained during impact.  No broken bones, one bruise on back of right hand, sore left shin and left knee.  Currently all healed except for the last bit of shoulder muscle.  

Left for Kosovo on June 3 on Uncle Sam's behalf.  Returned yesterday.  First few days there were a little tender on the shoulder.  Much, much better now.  Back in the saddle for the commute tomorrow.

Little V-Strom's in the shop getting repaired.  Glad I also have the GT in the stable.

Seems like we do all we can to protect ourselves and our bikes, but the wild card is always some other human being.  

Be safe out there.

• Thumbsup 2
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, whistler said:

The short version...got rear-ended on my little V-Strom at a stoplight on May 29.  Inattentive old man in a mini-van.  Smacked me hard.  Jeep Cherokee in front of me (also a rider) pulled ahead at the last nanosecond and prevented me from getting pinned between him and the old man behind me.  

Don't remember the impact, just the immediate seconds after impact.  ATGATT saved me again.  Left shoulder muscles are almost 100% after being strained during impact.  No broken bones, one bruise on back of right hand, sore left shin and left knee.  Currently all healed except for the last bit of shoulder muscle.  

Left for Kosovo on June 3 on Uncle Sam's behalf.  Returned yesterday.  First few days there were a little tender on the shoulder.  Much, much better now.  Back in the saddle for the commute tomorrow.

Little V-Strom's in the shop getting repaired.  Glad I also have the GT in the stable.

Seems like we do all we can to protect ourselves and our bikes, but the wild card is always some other human being.  

Be safe out there.

I don't know how you feel about filtering at lights, but I wish it would be formally legalized everywhere (even if separate from lane splitting).  Stop lights are one of the more risky places for a motorcycle to be hanging around.

On the commute front:  Yesterday I got caught in the rain on my way home without rain gear.  I gambled on that 7% chance and lost.  I don't mind on the way home, but thankfully there was a bridge that I scrambled under and got my laptop and other things into plastic bags and back into my backpack.  Now I'm shopping for a new, fully waterproof backpack that can handle laptop, charger, shoes, a change of clothes and a few other misc. items.     I'm waiting for the Knox Trekker Rucksack to come back in stock, since it looks office/business friendly.

• Thumbsup 1

19 hours ago, superfist said:

I don't know how you feel about filtering at lights, but I wish it would be formally legalized everywhere (even if separate from lane splitting).  Stop lights are one of the more risky places for a motorcycle to be hanging around.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't care for lane splitting, but filtering at lights would be awesome.  I don't do it simply because I don't want a ticket, but I do pull to one side or the other of the car in front of me so if someone comes from behind, they don't hit me full on, maybe(hopefully) just a graze, or they miss me all together.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I started talking to a fellow rider in the garage under my office, and was amazed at how clean his jacket was. My First Gear yellow reflective jacket is kind of dingy now after 4-5 years of riding/commuting. No matter how I wash it, it just doesn't get as clean as his does.

When I asked what he did to keep his so clean, he said that when it rains, he puts a light wind breaker over the jacket. Curious if others have tried this trick, or if you have another solution that you want to share......

17 hours ago, DavidS said:

I started talking to a fellow rider in the garage under my office, and was amazed at how clean his jacket was. My First Gear yellow reflective jacket is kind of dingy now after 4-5 years of riding/commuting. No matter how I wash it, it just doesn't get as clean as his does.

When I asked what he did to keep his so clean, he said that when it rains, he puts a light wind breaker over the jacket. Curious if others have tried this trick, or if you have another solution that you want to share......

I do something similar, using this light(ish) jacket for persistent rain. It works really well.

Oxford Products Rain Seal Jacket Yellow Size L: Oxford: Amazon.co.uk:...

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

@BBB - I looked at it and also looked at the Ogio All Elements.  I eventually decided on the Knoxx Trekker Rucksack since it just popped back into stock the other evening for 130.   Great price with some really nice features and also office friendly.

I'll report on it after some use.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-trekker-rucksack