Length of ownership

• Premium Member

Picked up my red 2015 FJ-09 in August of 2015, very happy with it.

My last bike was a 2000 Buell S3 that I owned for 15 years and 40k miles... sold it after getting the FJ.

• Supporting Member

My 2015 was a new-in-crate, left over stock that I bought at the end of 2016.  I previously had a 2006 Gen II FZ1 which I owned for 6 years, it was a fantastic bike but came to its untimely end as the result of a deer strike. 

I have upgraded my FJ to near GT spec with cruise control, heated grips, assist/slipper clutch and brilliant suspension!  I absolutely love its versatility, allowing me to take several road trips a year in comfort as well as tear the hell out of back roads and mountain pass twisties like one of them "fast old-guys" you hear so much about.  😎

I have yet to find an as-good "do it all" bike, I have no interest on trading her in anytime soon.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Ditto, in spades, bb!   Add belt-drive and this would be the perfect lightweight sports-tourer - but I know that the more 'sporty' among us would find that a huge turn-off.

My reasons are more about touring. The few times I've re-geared it's been for touring. Nearly always do some unpaved on my tours (like taking a shaftie up the Dalton) and the stories I've encountered on belt replacement when they've failed premature from getting a rock stuck in them have not been kind. Then there's parts, tools, and expertise required for fixing any of them far from home in an unforeseen failure. Ymmv.

• Premium Member

I'm one of the original FJ havers. I bought mine in May 2015 after a Yamaha demo day ride that helped me make up my mind. This replaced a KLR-650 I had for about a year, which had replaced the venerable '07 SV-650 that I loved for many years before it. The SV was truly my long-time fave bike of the past 20 years. Just a great, simple do-it-all bike that farkeled up well and did almost anything I wanted. My only gripe was the lack of top-end power. The V-twin was fabulous around town and in low speed twisty corners, but just gasped for breath above 60mph. The Yammer 900 triple has no such issues and can rip down long straights with great aplomb when I ask for it. Not that I ask it often... but when I do, oh mamma... :)

As many have said, the FJ farkels up very well. All new suspension was the greatest of the upgrades. The bike rides on rails now, with complete confidence and agility no matter how hard I push it. There are so very few shortcomings it's hard to even list them. However, I envy the new owners with the factory cruise control, that's maybe the one and only option I wish I had that I don't. Comfort with a Sargent seat is all-day long and the factory side bags are plenty good for my touring needs. Fuel economy is great for the displacement and although some feel the fuel tank should be larger, I'm OK with capacity. (A rider needs to stretch every now & then, after all) 

Of all the many motorcycles I have owned in the last 30+ years, the FJ-09 is by far my favorite. It ain't perfect. But for a budget bike it's as perfect as I need it to be. :)

• Thumbsup 6
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member

I finally had to renew my registration in May, so I'm just over four years in. (Oregon registration on new vehicles is four years.) I could see myself getting a second bike at some point in the next year or two, but I expect to use the FJ as my main commuter for many years to come. It just works.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I have had my FJ since June 2016.  I have not had a lot of bikes, but I do tend to keep them all for a good while.  The FJ is my favorite.  It fits me well and I enjoy it more than any other bike I have owned.  

• Thumbsup 1

My FJ is rather new to me, I've had it for just a couple of years. Historically bikes in my stable last 3-5 years. The notable exception is my 1st Gen SV650. I've had it going on 20 years, and still makes me smile.  The only bike I sold that I still miss is my '75 CB360T, and it's for nostalgic reasons. It was my first "real" bike, the first bike I was able to take weekend trips, or do full day touring. This was in the 70's, so our perspective of adequate was much different than today's. Still, whenever I see an old 360T, particularly in the blue livery, I look on it with the same fondness that I hold for the first girl I kissed. 

All other bikes served their purpose, then I moved on. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member

Purchased new in June 2015. My FJ has over 32K miles, which is more than I have put on any other bike. I still get a thrill when I ride it.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I have had this bike for 2.5 years now. I very much like its esthetic, love the motor, it's power, the sound... It's a good ship to feel and drink the feeling of power on the road 

I have installed a skid plate, mirror raisers, hand bar raiser, Sargent seat... And adjusted the suspension. Before this one I had a tenere xt660z for four years. I consider the FJ09 as a basic, elegant machine, fun for my senses. Not perfect, but it's a very good toy, for a 51 years old guy that smiles riding it

• Thumbsup 2