What mode do you prefer.....A, B, or Standard??

• Premium Member

I completely forgot about B & STD mode after my Ivan flash. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

I've got bike in for first service this weekend so not done much but have found that..

B mode - seems sluggish and delayed on pickup....no likey.

A mode - too sensitive for town. Any bump in the road and the slightest switch of the wrist and it's jumping, ok on quicker roads...no likey.

Std mode - works well in town and on faster twisties. Just the right amount of twist to power.  Likey.

I reserve the right to change my mind after run in. Incidentally, been keeping under 6k most of the time during run in. Dealer said, after first service, good to go, but book says 7k until 1000 miles. What you reckon.????

I commute in B mode since I have a long, boring straight highway commute. I find B gives me better MPG and I don’t miss the power at all on the long straights. For spirited riding I use STD, since my A mode the bike turns into a bucking bronco.  I bought it post flash, and I can’t imagine what it would’ve been like before the flash. Tight right handers are nearly impossible not to overrun in A mode, unless my trail braking technique perfectly anticipates the non-linear increase in power. Which I usually don’t do well, since I have decades of muscle memory to fight.  Just as I’m trading the last bit of brake for more throttle near the apex, the violence with which power suddenly comes on launches me wide enough to push me over the center line. I don’t have the same issue in STD. The only use I’ve found for A Moe is from a stoplight when That Guy in his Dodge Charger thinks he’s fast and he needs to get embarrassed. Otherwise A Mode sits unused.

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

tried A mode this morning (bike is all original).

For the most part I would say this is much more like a normal response, other than the abruptness of the off/on change over.

However, given what poor shape UK roads are in, trying to keep a constant throttle while hitting grooves, potholes, splits, manhole covers, drain covers... is a bit wearing!

• Premium Member

I gave A mode and extended try on a 250 mile ride today about half of it in the twisties and you know it wasn't half bad I guess I was more relaxed and kept the revs up and found I could control the smoothness without the abruptness I had thought I had experienced on other occasions. I basically left it in A mode for the whole ride and it's much better then standard overall because it's more like my VTR in terms of response and acceleration.

Now this is with my ECU flashed by Vcyclenut, and I use a Cramp Buster on my grip, which helps with stability but definitely keeping the revs up and in a lower gear in A mode for some reason aids  in smoothness without the herky-jerky on-off throttle transition.

20190825_142959.jpg

20190920_194514.jpg

Just spent three days on the road, including riding some of the best twisties in and around North Carolina.  Did not care for A mode on some of the really tight stuff where you have to go on/off throttle quickly and repeatedly.  Otherwise it was not too bad but I am disappointed that Yamaha could not do better with the part throttle fueling.

Need to pull the ECU and send it off to Ivan.

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

By keeping the revs up in  lower gear and using the wide spread of power the CP3 engine offers, you avoid the on-off throttle transition which can be difficult to control smoothly even after the OEM fuel cut during off throttle is defeated by an ECU flash.  Plus in A Mode you get to luxuriate in the significantly faster pick up it offers, which can be sped up further (including also in Standard and B modes) by a flash.  A slip-assist clutch from am XSR900 also aids greatly in the twisties by enabling more engine braking without worry of rear wheel hop and chatter.  Better fork and shock action obviously aids the equation...

12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

By keeping the revs up in  lower gear and using the wide spread of power the CP3 engine offers, you avoid the on-off throttle transition which can be difficult to control smoothly even after the OEM fuel cut during off throttle is defeated by an ECU flash.  Plus in A Mode you get to luxuriate in the significantly faster pick up it offers, which can be sped up further (including also in Standard and B modes) by a flash.  A slip-assist clutch from am XSR900 also aids greatly in the twisties by enabling more engine braking without worry of rear wheel hop and chatter.  Better fork and shock action obviously aids the equation...

I did notice that at higher rpms this abruptness was reduced, but it is still present enough to be annoying.  Yes, the difference in throttle pick up between A and other modes is obvious.  My GT has the slip / assist clutch as well.

I am spoiled by the smoothness of the throttle response of my other bike, which makes that of the Tracer seem even worse by comparison.  

My ECU is now out of the bike and on it's way to Ivan.

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

But do your other bikes with smoother pick-up have the mid-to-top end rush the CP3 has.  My VTR is also smoother and more controllable, and being a torquey V-twin is really sneaky fast but the CP3 engine sort of reminds me of my RD400 2smoke, with a brrapp and snarl that wants to wheelie despite its smaller displacement.  I call that FUN!  If rough around the edges...

And, I can ride it all day in comfort until my Sciatica overcomes the Ibuprofen not LOL

• Premium Member
On 9/23/2019 at 9:02 AM, johnmark101 said:

My ECU is now out of the bike and on it's way to Ivan.

Yum - what a tasty treat you will receive back.

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

But do your other bikes with smoother pick-up have the mid-to-top end rush the CP3 has.  My VTR is also smoother and more controllable, and being a torquey V-twin is really sneaky fast but the CP3 engine sort of reminds me of my RD400 2smoke, with a brrapp and snarl that wants to wheelie despite its smaller displacement.  I call that FUN!  If rough around the edges...

And, I can ride it all day in comfort until my Sciatica overcomes the Ibuprofen not LOL

My other bike is a Ninja 1000 which has had the ECU reprogrammed by Ivan, which is why the throttle response is so smooth.  It makes ridiculous power,  much more than the Tracer. But I like the overall character of the CP3 engine better.    

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

My other bike is a Ninja 1000 which has had the ECU reprogrammed by Ivan, which is why the throttle response is so smooth.  It makes ridiculous power,  much more than the Tracer. But I like the overall character of the CP3 engine better.    

I've ridden a 2015 Ninja 1000 ZX abs and it definitely has power over the fjo9 it vibrates I think a bit more unless you put on heavy bar-end weights and with the ECU flashed it is smoother but it just doesn't have the character like you said of the CP3 engine let me know what you think about the Ivan Flash I went with vcyclenut

• Thumbsup 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:16 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I've ridden a 2015 Ninja 1000 ZX abs and it definitely has power over the fjo9 it vibrates I think a bit more unless you put on heavy bar-end weights and with the ECU flashed it is smoother but it just doesn't have the character like you said of the CP3 engine let me know what you think about the Ivan Flash I went with vcyclenut

Turn around was quick.  Sent the ECU off on Monday and had it back Wednesday!!!  For what it is worth I have stock exhaust. The abrupt throttle response that was so evident in A mode is gone.  Rolling on and off the throttle through tight turns is now smooth and very controlled.  Even changing gears while using the clutch is more smooth as you open and close the throttle for each shift.   Engine feels like it pulls a bit stronger in the lower gears but overall power feels the same...….as expected.  Engine vibration is reduced.....but it was not really too bad to begin with.  I did notice the fans coming on much sooner when stopped in traffic in the heat of mid day.  Ivan lowers the temperature at which they switch on.  I confirmed that cruise control operates in all gears now.  The one surprise is that the quick shifter seems to work a bit better after the reflash.  I tried it repeatedly to makes certain I was not imagining things.  Is it possible this is due to the revised fuel mapping or change in ignition timing curve??   Money well spent!!!

Once I get my Sargent seat I should be done other than upgrading the front brake pads to Vesrah.    

• Like 2