What mode do you prefer.....A, B, or Standard??

• Premium Member

I'm glad to hear you like The Flash I suppose the suspension on the GT is better than the earlier models which I had to correct with re damping the fork cartridges, Sonic .95 Springs and a K-Tech razor R shock

I had Sargent make me a custom saddle which is a lifesaver or should I say butt saver and have three different screens four different Temps

Plus a whole host of other lighting and electrical mods

The Dunlop roadsmart 3 tires are my choice after trying the metzler's

Hard side cases and top case with a small tank bag and dry bag for the pillion saddle make touring a kitchen sink Affair without affecting handling significantly

I'm about done with all the mods I can make it's just a matter of finding time to ride

• Premium Member
On 9/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, Dodgy Knees said:

I've got bike in for first service this weekend so not done much but have found that..

B mode - seems sluggish and delayed on pickup....no likey.

A mode - too sensitive for town. Any bump in the road and the slightest switch of the wrist and it's jumping, ok on quicker roads...no likey.

Std mode - works well in town and on faster twisties. Just the right amount of twist to power.  Likey.

I reserve the right to change my mind after run in. Incidentally, been keeping under 6k most of the time during run in. Dealer said, after first service, good to go, but book says 7k until 1000 miles. What you reckon.????

Ride it like you're going to ride it later on.  I got into a run with a guy on a MT09 on the way home from the dealership on my FJ.  Saw over 100 mph and didn't even lose my paper license plate.  Had it one year and have 7200 miles on it, at least 6K of that in the mountains in NC, TN, north GA.  Runs just fine.

• Premium Member
On 9/24/2019 at 9:42 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

But do your other bikes with smoother pick-up have the mid-to-top end rush the CP3 has.  My VTR is also smoother and more controllable, and being a torquey V-twin is really sneaky fast but the CP3 engine sort of reminds me of my RD400 2smoke, with a brrapp and snarl that wants to wheelie despite its smaller displacement.  I call that FUN!  If rough around the edges...

And, I can ride it all day in comfort until my Sciatica overcomes the Ibuprofen not LOL

Had a bunch of RDs too.  Fun fun fun.  It does feel kinda like that or maybe even more reminds me of the H2 750 triple Kawasaki.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, fjray said:

Had a bunch of RDs too.  Fun fun fun.  It does feel kinda like that or maybe even more reminds me of the H2 750 triple Kawasaki.  

Funny you mention that... I had a H1 Mach III 500 triple at one point back in the mid-1980s, and found it to be a somewhat evil machine.  No shortage of motor (with light switch on/off power delivery), but diabolically unpredictable handling and occasional brakes.   I didn’t keep it for long, was happy to see it go to a new owner, but now nostalgically wish I had it back...   

Motorcycles have come a LONG way in 50 years!  :)  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

They have come a long way.  I remember the first KZ900 when it came out,  in my opinion it was going to be the fastest thing ever built, and sold on the market until the ZX11 came along and then the ZX14, Busa, etc.  Saw one the other day ( KZ900 ) and those things came with one front disk and a rear drum brake.  I'm not sure I'd want to ride one today like that.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I'm not a fan of electronic controlled throttles and the delays programmed into them. 

This is least noticeable in A mode, so that is what I use. It is still noticeable though, I'll have to get it tuned one day if I keep it long enough. 

In rain, or stop go traffic, I retain A mode and adjust throttle input to suit via my right hand.

With the 200+hp sport bikes out today, I understand the need for throttle delays and riding modes.

The implementation on an 850cc triple seems unnecessary.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Still have my RD but am sorry I sold my 72 H2 Mach IV, nice blue color scheme.  It had Morris mags, dual front rotors, Bill Wirges expansion chambers and clutch kit, fork revalve and Marzochi gas charged piggy-back reservoir shocks, so it went and handled better than most.  Despite playing with the ignition timing (OEM CDI) and carefully syncing the carbs, it vibrated so bad it put my hands to sleep.  The FJ is much smoother, faster and much better handling and braking.  But yes, bikes and especially tires are light years ahead but rose-colored glasses make us yern for the simpler more sincere times.  BTW, My Suzuki Sebring  GT380, while much smaller, was a much smoother triple than the H2.

I find if I don't completely close the throttle in A mode, it is easy to modulate but the on-off snatchiness is still there to some degree even after a second flash.

• Like 1

I've been told I am a "A" personality type. Therefore A for me. I like the quicker throttle response and as soon as I find the time to not ride the bike for a couple days I'll send in my ECu to be re-flashed. Probably when I replace the plugs and filter and maybe adjust the valves and sync the air intakes etc.....

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member

Adjusting the valves early if never done since new is a VERY good idea.

It's scary how tight the lash can be on some (like mine were). Almost as if the engine assembly guy or gal didn't give a flying fork whether they valves were close to spec...

Just sayin... 

Mode?  It has modes?  I suppose after I get a reflash done then I’ll mess with the modes. As of now it’s in standard and my wrist has been self adjusting. I will say both the FJ-09 ang my MT-10 do not have great fuel mapping from the factory while my FJR is pretty spot on. Always wondered how Yamaha can get it so wrong when they get most things so right?

Std mode hits the sweet spot balance between hooligan mode in A and go to sleep mode in B.

For long highway runs I use 6th gear more often. I could never think of an instance of needing Mode B.

And mode A for the record I find fookin' scary. too sensitive for normal use. 

2 minutes ago, FB4004 said:

Std mode hits the sweet spot balance between hooligan mode in A and go to sleep mode in B.

For long highway runs I use 6th gear more often. I could never think of an instance of needing Mode B.

And mode A for the record I find fookin' scary. too sensitive for normal use. 

Getting the ECU reflashed makes A mode throttle response much more smooth.  Now that mine has been reflashed by Ivan I leave it in A mode.  Before the reflash I ran it in standard.

Funny to see someone else other than myself use Beavis and Butthead in their avatar.  😋

• Haha 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Two versions of the bike: 2015 FJ-09, traded at 34k miles for 2019 plain old Tracer 900. Haven't done an ECU reflash on either.

2015 FJ-09: A mode was great, but only on kind-of-smooth to smooth pavement and not great when riding in traffic. STD mode was fine for the rest of the time. B mode was way too vague to use anywhere.

2019 Tracer 900: All mode are useable. I use A mode most of the time except in traffic. It's better on twisty roads, especially blipping the throttle on downshifts and accelerating out of turns. The STD mode is good around town and in traffic and it's what I use on New England gravel roads. B mode is certainly useful, but has no advantage over STD mode so I don't use it very often.

-- Joe

Last weekend I finished my 1600km break-in period. For me, after 10 years of not riding a bike, the break-in period was not only to let the engine set in but was also useful to get used to the bike and driving in general. So I took it easy in B-mode.

I drive in standard mode now, unless the traffic is really busy.

The A-mode is just a bit too aggressive on the throttle to my taste. But is is nice to give it a go on empty and twisty roads though.