What mode do you prefer.....A, B, or Standard??

Curious to know what mode some of you prefer and why.  I have spent some time riding in each.  I will only use B mode for inclement weather.  I like A mode for how early the power comes on when opening the throttle.  It is my favorite mode for getting good drive off the corner, but the response is a bit too abrupt for my liking.  For this reason I usually leave it in Standard mode.  I think getting the ECU reflashed to eliminate the fuel cut off at closed throttle will probably smooth things out to the point that A mode will be much better.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

If I am in stop-and-go traffic I will switch to B mode on occasion, other than that I use A mode exclusively.  The ECU flash really smoothed out A mode and I had it set to default.  For hooligan riding, the quick-turn A mode is the only way to ride for me.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Standard mode as default, generally in the city and the burbs. A-mode (quick-turn) on the freeway (unless in traffic) and other fast roads where I need quick passing performance. B-mode on wet and gravel/dirt roads.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

"A" mode 100% of the time regardless of road condition.

Even before getting my ECU flashed I had learned to embrace "A" mode and rode with it 95% of the time. After the flash I never change it.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

When I first got the FJ, I'd be in 'B' mode in the really tight mountain sections because the throttle was smoother.  Then I decided I just needed to get used to standard mode and eventually my right wrist smoothed it out.  I moved to 'A' mode full time about a year ago, even in heavy traffic and I've smoothed out the jerky response.

It's so ingrained in muscle memory that I was in traffic the other day and had left it in standard mode.  When I twisted the throttle I leaned forward, the engine felt like it bogged down and then popped in at a little more throttle application but it was really just the way standard tries to smooth the map on initial turn.  So it's 'A' mode full time now at the cost of tensed up/soreness on/after long rides of my right wrist/shoulder.

I'm looking forward to a re-flash.  My wife gave me a green light on an exhaust and flash in the next month or two.  I'll do it when I take it apart for the 24k mile service =)     I'm hoping for B-mode smoothness with A-mode power and acceleration.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

ECU flashed by Vcyclenut but opted to keep STD as default (had Dave do all his other usual tweaks, fuel cut off slain, PAIR defeat, speed limiter bye bye, temp at 205, etc) as I'm elderly and thus usually only run A on the relatively open highway, on the somewhat rare  occasion when I'm feeling strangely frisky, or know a twisty really well and answered yes when I asked myself if I'm feeling lucky...

I do like A much more than STD as it nearly matches the output of my VTR1000F, though sadly, the FJ lacks the grunt and, even with the flash, the smoothness and controlibility of my beloved Superchicken.  What's sadder is I remember when the 305 Superhawk came out!

Oh, and B is for when I get REALLY old, or absolutely atrocious weather/tarmac.

I just had my ECU flashed by Vcyclenut and now find myself using A exclusively. I do switch to B when I'm in the city or 4 lane bumper to bumper traffic. I think it's safer and it's less fatiguing. Fortunately that's not too often.

• Premium Member

I guess I'm the oddball here. I had the 2WDW flash done. Before the flash I felt A was almost unusable. Now it's much better, but still not perfect. I use B for slow city riding and Standard for most other situations. I've been tempted to send my ECU in again and have it put back to Standard as default.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, keithu said:

...I've been tempted to send my ECU in again and have it put back to Standard as default.

Try tweaking the APS while you have the bike apart. Made an improvement for many on here. It can smooth out any throttle twitchiness that you may be experiencing. A-mode should be pretty smooth with the flash... the power just ramps up quicker as you twist the throttle, without being twitchy.

• Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Timely question. 

I rode mostly in STD until I got the ECU flashed, then I used B for rough roads (most of them around here unfortunately) and A for the highway and tending to my inner hooligan.

I've noticed this year that I've been leaving it in B mode a lot.  I suspect that's for a couple of reasons:

1.  The roads I used to play on have gotten so rough they're darn near unrideable at all, much less with "enthusiasm".  Even in B mode I have to pay attention to keep inputs smooth as the bike bounces around over the frost heaves, pot holes and broken pavement.

2.  I ain't getting any younger and most days I just don't feel I have the chops for spirited riding.

I will snick it into A mode when I come up behind a ($#*%ing tourist and know that opportunities to pass will be few and far between.  I like to be prepared to take off like a big-@$$ed bird when the opportunity arises.  😁

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I ride in Standard mode  around town and on the highway.  If the road is open enough for sustained acceleration, then A mode is good.  A lot of the roads I ride have long series of sharp corners and  I find STD lets me enjoy the flow better there.  I have only ridden in the rain in B mode once and didn't need it to my knowledge.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

I'm probably one of the few who ride in A mode with TCS off... Big difference in how engine behaves in my opinion when TCS is on vs off... I do use STD mode with TCS off if I just want easy/lazy throttle control... 

Once in awhile when "we go out and cruise" TCS has to stay on because I use the hidden feature called LaunchControl 😆

Edited by norcal616
  • Thumbsup 2
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp