Battery

MartyP

• Supporting Member

@MartyP - This thread might be a start or guide for what you seek.

If you're looking for a direct replacement then it's a +1 for Betony's post above but there are alternatives.

FWIW I replaced mine with the Yausa OEM original - Pricey, but each to their own.

• Thumbsup 1

Be extremely careful when you put the new battery in @MartyP. The battery lays on its side and a few people have got the polarity of the terminals swapped, with fuse blowing results.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

6 hours ago, BBB said:

Be extremely careful when you put the new battery in @MartyP. The battery lays on its side and a few people have got the polarity of the terminals swapped, with fuse blowing results.

Yes.....it can cause a lot of headache but no permanent damage.  Been there and done that.  😬

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:46 AM, dazzler24 said:

@MartyP - This thread might be a start or guide for what you seek.

If you're looking for a direct replacement then it's a +1 for Betony's post above but there are alternatives.

FWIW I replaced mine with the Yausa OEM original - Pricey, but each to their own.

Can you just drop the Yausa in or do you have to flip it around to match the terminals?

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, MartyP said:

Can you just drop the Yausa in or do you have to flip it around to match the terminals?

Yes, you will want to install it in the correct orientation, pos to pos and neg to neg.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

What's the ideal RPM's and gear for optimal charging of the battery. I do a short commute to work 6 miles 30 minutes and I am having issues with my battery holding charge. My scorpio reads 12.5 most of the time and occasionally it will got to 14.1 if I do a longer ride. Thanks 

• Supporting Member

@MartyP I would keep the battery on a tender when not riding to keep it at full charge. Heated gear and other electric accessories can drain the battery in stop and go low rpm riding. The stator puts out more power as rpm increase.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

1 hour ago, MartyP said:

What's the ideal RPM's and gear for optimal charging of the battery. I do a short commute to work 6 miles 30 minutes and I am having issues with my battery holding charge. My scorpio reads 12.5 most of the time and occasionally it will got to 14.1 if I do a longer ride. Thanks 

Most manufacturers specify charging tests at 5000 rpm. That’s not far in the FJ’s rpm range but there you go. 

you need to run an extension cord and charge it properly overnight somehow. The bike WILL NOT charge a weak battery, it will only keep a regularly used and charged battery topped off. 

-Skip

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, MartyP said:

I live in an apartment and have no outlets to plug the bike in. I have to use a battery pack and only lasts a day.

If the battery charge only lasts a day, it sounds like its time for a new battery. 

If you have a multi-meter, check the battery.

IMG_8238.jpg

How do you know if your problem is really your battery? How do you know...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Low. The FJ starts best around when it has 12.7-12.9v to play with.

here’s another test: turn on your key and let the bike sit powered-on for about 30 seconds. Measure your battery voltage with key still on. Less than 12.1-12.2?  Dipping well below 12v? 11.8 or less? Your battery is toast. 
-Skip

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

My experience with a failing battery was that the bike, on occassions, would simply not engage the starter motor even though all other indicators would lead me to believe that the battery was fine.  I can only assume in retrospect, and if someone knows for sure feel free to chime in, that when I'd hit the starter the battery voltage would dip below the threshold that the ECU says - "voltage too low, I'm not even going to let you try to start for your own protection".

The battery must have been right on the 'edge' because as I already mentioned the bike would refuse to start but after a couple of attempts it would fire and probably put just enough back into the battery on the subsequent ride to keep it alive - just!

Anyway, after I bit the bullet and installed a new battery the problem magically disappeared!  Just a little FYI for those that may experience this in the future.

• Thumbsup 1