Anyone want to ride the Dragon's Tail?

bobdog

I'd be interested in riding the Dragon's Tail ( a nice 11.1 mile stretch of road with 318 turns in NC) as a group ride once the weather gets a little better.  I do not wish to channel Kenny Roberts or any other superbike rider from my youth, so if you want to do a mellow ride of this route, without casualties, I'm in.  I'd have to bring my FJ in dresser mode, with the bags as it's about 500 miles from home.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Guest bmidd
Let me know when you are coming, I live in Chattanooga and I ride the Skyway nearly every weekend and hit the Gap about twice a month. Go join this local forum: http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/index.php

They are a good group of folks that live in the area and just post up when you are going and they will be glad to tow you around to some other good rides. 

I'd be interested in riding the Dragon's Tail ( a nice 11.1 mile stretch of road with 318 turns in NC) as a group ride once the weather gets a little better.  I do not wish to channel Kenny Roberts or any other superbike rider from my youth, so if you want to do a mellow ride of this route, without casualties, I'm in.  I'd have to bring my FJ in dresser mode, with the bags as it's about 500 miles from home.
Not to be nit picking...well maybe a little...but all but about a mile of the Dragon is in Tennessee. Deal's Gap (store, tree of shame etc) is in NC. I live about 30 minutes from the beginning of the Dragon (Chilhowee Lake in TN) and ride it often. I may even ride it tomorrow (Sat Apr 4). 

Roger that! Used to run my car over it back in the day. Always started from the NC side - my bad. Enjoy the ride - call me envious.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I ride down a couple times a year from KY. In recent years the Harleys and the LEOs have killed the Dragon for me. So many good roads in the area, I love 28 down through Franklin. I also love the roads in northern GA.

• Premium Member
I'm heading down this weekend for a week-long stay at Fontana with a buncha friends.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• 6 months later...
Let's keep this thread active boyz!! The Dragon and ALL of the roads there are super nice - great asphalt, nary a pothole or frost heave to be found. And if the Dragon is LEO or Harley Bagger-infested, just peel on outta there, you're sure to find suitable roads within 10 - 15 minutes....w00t!!

BTW, here's a link to Jack and Lori Hunt's motorcycle lodge/campground. They are two of the nicest folks in the world and are looooonnggg time riders. If you tell 'em that RW sent you, they may even let you rent a cabin. But maybe not....

http://www.huntslodge.com/Availability.html

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Let's keep this thread active boyz!! The Dragon and ALL of the roads there are super nice - great asphalt, nary a pothole or frost heave to be found. And if the Dragon is LEO or Harley Bagger-infested, just peel on outta there, you're sure to find suitable roads within 10 - 15 minutes....w00t!! 
BTW, here's a link to Jack and Lori Hunt's motorcycle lodge/campground. They are two of the nicest folks in the world and are looooonnggg time riders. If you tell 'em that RW sent you, they may even let you rent a cabin. But maybe not....

http://www.huntslodge.com/Availability.html

-CD-

Warning, if you go to ride it, ride it on a weekday. I rode it on a Saturday and a Sunday and it sucked. Slow Harleys and cars everywhere. The road was packed! It is an awesome ride though and I have always wanted to go back and ride it on a weekday.

• 1 month later...
As a retired gent, mid week appeals to me.  When do the roads get rideable down there? Up here in NOVA, it's pretty hit or miss with the ice right now.  Plan = Ride down, rest, ride cool roads, rest, ride back on third day - replace tires. 

• 7 months later...
It's going to happen this time! Leaving Front Royal tomorrow at 10am, stopping near Knoxville, Riding all of 129/Dragon to Deal's Gap, getting lunch and doing the Skyway to Hunt's Campground on the 13th. Dressed grey 2015 FJ with dragon's eyes...
1013_1.jpg

• Premium Member
Too early for me. I will be around Highlands NC middle of next week....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived