HWY peg ideas ?

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, new1709rider said:

Holding the throttle steady and tapping the brake pedal works good to disengage the cruise control. 

I tried the long button hold to see if I got the 5 mph change and it doesn't work with mine.  I have the original McCruise switch. 

I don't want to feel like I put out some bogus info for everyone.  The only difference I can think of is I'm using the Tenere switchgear with their custom wiring harness.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

No worries, I have the latest and greatest cc ecu supposedly and holding rather multiple taps both work so I'm good thanks

I'm still considering going the FJR / SUPER T route but for now I just wanna ride!!!

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

What's the fastest you've engaged and it help mph?  I have a flashed ecu so not 114 mph limiter but haven't tried anything much over 80 mph, 128.75 kph 🙂

Last year a buddy and I had to ride across the desolate wasteland of Nevada to get to Utah, I had the CC set at 90mph for hours at a time.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 3/29/2020 at 6:30 PM, new1709rider said:

Holding the throttle steady and tapping the brake pedal works good to disengage the cruise control. 

I tried the long button hold to see if I got the 5 mph change and it doesn't work with mine.  I have the original McCruise switch. 

At first I was apprehensive and felt guilty to go for a ride yesterday, 10 days since my last Covid 19 escape.  But my buddy I met up with, a retired police chief and city manager said that was BS, and that people who said not to ride were mostly jealous and afraid.

Anyway, did another almost 300 miles, used my highway pegs on the return leg and McCruise up and back.  As I related before, I rest the back of my calves on the h.w. Pegs, legs straight.

I forgot to try tapping the rear brake alone to deactivate the CC and will try it next ride but for now settled on pulling in the clutch lever while manipulating the throttle; often in conjunction with downshifting.  I decided turning it off to deactivate didn't make sense because then I had to remember to turn it back on. 

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Very cool and well executed.  You should offer them on this and the FZ/XSR forums.  They won't however work when case guards like the Givi, SW-Mototech, etc are installed I do not believe.

I had originality purchased the higdonion gen 2 but never liked the ground clearance or the over all quality/look of it. Decided to forgo the crash bars all together. No they will not work with anything else mounted in that spot. I only build things as I need them and I'm not interested in manufacturing. If anyone else is interested in making them I would be happy to supply them with detailed specs. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Mark Trottier said:

Nice Job , How tall are you ? I am having something made up  this  week but mine are going to be straight out not lowerd like yours ..

Hi Mark, I'm 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam. After trying different initial designs I went with the offset you see because it felt right to me. Your results may very. I can tell I went with longer than factory bolts as these screw into the engine castings. Factory and Higdonion both use 10x1.25x50 mm where I went with 10x1.25x55 mm. I tried 10x1.25x60 mm but they bottomed out 2 to 3 mm from tight. Hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, angusmcoz said:

Hi Mark, I'm 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam. After trying different initial designs I went with the offset you see because it felt right to me. Your results may very. I can tell I went with longer than factory bolts as these screw into the engine castings. Factory and Higdonion both use 10x1.25x50 mm where I went with 10x1.25x55 mm. I tried 10x1.25x60 mm but they bottomed out 2 to 3 mm from tight. Hope this helps.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I tried those cheap footpegs people have liked already on my givi crash bars, but I found even when I have them "tight" after building up the bar with inner tube rubber, they still rotate on me when I hit a bump or something.  Felt it was somewhat of a safety hazard, and when I fell off one of them while hitting a pothole (it rotated about 45 degrees) I pulled them off the bike.

Going forward, I'd still like a set, but I want 100% rock solid mounting first.  Need something better.

20191107_085240.jpg

Edited by Wintersdark
Add picture from when I mounted them.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I tried those cheap footpegs people have liked already on my givi crash bars, but I found even when I have them "tight" after building up the bar with inner tube rubber, they still rotate on me when I hit a bump or something.  Felt it was somewhat of a safety hazard, and when I fell off one of them while hitting a pothole (it rotated about 45 degrees) I pulled them off the bike.

Going forward, I'd still like a set, but I want 100% rock solid mounting first.  Need something better.

20191107_085240.jpg

Try cutting up a pop can to use as shim material; has worked for 15,000+ miles so far for me.

the gray color on your and other bikes recently is kind of sharp. I saw that at least Arai has a helmet color now that may match well; other cranial can manufacturers also may too.

8 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Try cutting up a pop can to use as shim material; has worked for 15,000+ miles so far for me.

the gray color on your and other bikes recently is kind of sharp. I saw that at least Arai has a helmet color now that may match well; other cranial can manufacturers also may too.

Yeah, that new super light Arai lid matches it perfectly.  Sadly, that helmet also has an annoying catch that locks the visor down and is really fiddly to work with gloves on.  I'm a visor open at every stop kind of guy, so that's a no go for me :( Too bad, too, cuz it looks like an incredible helmet.

I didn't really like the colorway initially, but after i wrapped those white lower fairings in black I decided I really liked the gray.  I half wrapped the gray in a really nifty blue, only to realize part way through that I actually preferred the more subtle, understated gray.  

Oh!  Distracted.  Yeah, the pegs.  I was annoyed with them and tossed them in the trash, so I'm kind of past trying new ways to secure them.  I'm a 300lb 6'4" guy, and I just don't they they'd ever have held securely enough for me with that weird clasp.  I've resigned myself to shelling out for something a little better made sometime in the future.

Edited by Wintersdark

• Premium Member

I tried on their new Regent-X but didn't notice that the VAS shield latch was fussy but is does have mist position function.  Modern Gray is the color.  Even though I could have bought a Large at the IMS for a great price, I'd still need thinner cheek pads, so I passed.  I just couldn't spend the money when I needed a McCruise much more (bad arthritis in both hands and am now looking at up/down quick shifters), especially when I have 5 current helmets.  I'm a helmet, glove and boot whore, and literally have a walk-in cedar closet packed with gear.  I've been down on flip up helmets since they came out, so I know what you mean about wanting the visor up at every stop.  I found the Kabuto Ibuki and ended up buying 2, one that matches my 15 fastest RED FJ09 PDW and a gloss black for a total expenditure of <$200 USD!  Love em!  Good luck on the hiway pegs, and while I'm still no slim jim, I did loose 35 pounds and feel a lot better for it. Now my biggest issue is my sciatica has gotten SO bad I'm having trouble walking AND getting on and off my FJ, less so my VTR.  So this is SERIOUS!  So much so I'm strongly considering a SCS implant...but maybe not until this fall after the riding season (for me anyway, and they may not be doing them anyway during the Covid19 crisis), as recovery from the outpatient procedure is still 6~8 weeks.

Kabuto was OGK https://bikereview.com.au/history-kabuto-ogk-helmets/